• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwags91314

Apr 17, 2012
    Maryland
    Hi All,

I've been using a Beretta AL391 for about the last 10 years to shoot primarily trap with an occasional round of skeet. I'm looking to purchase an over/under shotgun for both trap and skeet. I like to think I don't have too many requirements, but they are:

- Type: Over/under
    - Budget: $2-3K (would go up to $5K if it was absolutely perfect)
    - Black receiver
    - Nice/fancy looking wood
    - 12 gauge

I've gone down the rabbit hole and come up with a short list of ones that interest me. Those are:

- Weatherby Orion Sporting
    - Mossberg International Gold Reserve - Black Label
    - CZ All-American
    - IFG/F.A.I.R Carrera One
    - Rizzini BR110 Sporter
    - Browning CX

Any feedback or suggestions is appreciated,
    Thank you

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    You've got solid choices there-- you could also include something from the Beretta Silver Pigeon Line well within the price range you're considering.

Edit to include: I have the Weatherby Orion Field model and a Browning Citori-- Both older but still solid performers. Added an assortment of Briley choke tubes for both.

Last edited:

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    Citori or beretta silver pigeon will fit that budget just fine. Both have tons of parts available and are made to go thousands of rounds with minimal upkeep.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Citori or beretta silver pigeon will fit that budget just fine. Both have tons of parts available and are made to go thousands of rounds with minimal upkeep.
    I'm a fan of the Browning's. I've owned a few. Sadly all I have left in a shotgun is my BPS and A5.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    PG Trap and Skeet rents Berettas, Bull Run Shooting Center rents Brownings. I'd suggest you go to both places and rent the shotguns available to see if you have a preference. I don't know any other clay sport ranges that rent shotguns, but both places are high volume and these are the brands that are available, which should tell you something.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Spend a little up front for a proper fitting. This will help direct you to the right choice. That said,

CG
    Browning
    Beretta

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    Loch Raven rents shotguns as well. They have a mix of inventory. Might be worth a call to ask what they rent.

DanOh

Apr 13, 2022
    Marriotsville
    I just looked at a CZ O/U for a friend a few days ago and couldn't believe how tight it was opening and closing. Nice looking gun and came with 5 chokes but probably would not buy that model personally. I did not see any of the trap/skeet models so don't know if they're any better.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    IME, Browning's (725 sporting) fit me better than Beretta (silver pigeon sporting) out of the box. YMMV. Point being, try them out in a store or range if possible.

CG seem to fit like Browining's to me. I don't shoot clays as often as I used to so I sold my 725 sporting O/U and use a Remington 1100 sporting now and that fits great too out of the box.

A trap gun is not ideal for skeet or other games. If you want a do all, my suggestion would be a sporting version of whatever fits you best. Unless trap is what you want to excel at.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    A gun meant for trap will not be the best for sporting clays or skeet, and vice versa. For example, a serious trap gun will be single-barreled. A skeet gun will usually be shorter barreled and lighter, while a sporting gun will be much heavier and have a longer barrel. If you want a truly all-around gun, get a "general-use" gun. Your current Beretta is actually a great gun to do everything. Decide what you really want to do and get a gun for that.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I went from a Browning Cynergy field to a Fabarm Elos N2 Sporting.

It's a cheap caesar guerini. Cheap like a $3000 price tag not $4500 for a CG

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Browning Citori CXS is what I use for general-purpose clays (some trap, some skeet, some sporting clays).

They run about $2200.

Trying a few O/U's out before you buy I think is excellent advice. This one may or may not work for you.

[EDIT] The way I shoot - not sure any of these work for me ;)

Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hi All,

I've been using a Beretta AL391 for about the last 10 years to shoot primarily trap with an occasional round of skeet. I'm looking to purchase an over/under shotgun for both trap and skeet. I like to think I don't have too many requirements, but they are:
    . . .
    - 12 gauge

You mention 12 gauge, reminds me of this; Years ago I used to shoot skeet at Fort Ord in California. There was an older retired guy that would shoot using a 410 gauge and nail those birds just about every time. I should practice with a 410 and then see if my 12 gauge improves!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Caesar Guerini Summit Impact

Agree, if you want one gun to do everything the Guerini Summit Impact will do it all well. I've had one close to 10 years now and use it for both sporting clays and trap. Very well balanced and can be adjusted for any of the clay sports.
    Price has climbed over the years, I paid about 4500.00, todays list price is around 7000.00, most sellers will discount the price some. Used ones are a good deal as Guerini stands behind them even used with warranty and 1 free service if I remember right.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Pretty much, 725s are dime a dozen. I don't think I've noticed anyone else with a Fabarm O/U, seen a few auto loaders.

Someone I always shoot sporting clays with has a Guerini

I always like the Fabarm because people will stand gawking at it while it's on a gun rack. Just picked this Stoeger up yesterday at Dicks LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom