• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The red dot isnt moving. You're shaking the gun. Its pointing exactly where you are aiming. If you stabilized the red dot, it wouldn't be pointing where the gun is. Learn to hold the gun more still.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    The red dot isnt moving. You're shaking the gun. Its pointing exactly where you are aiming. If you stabilized the red dot, it wouldn't be pointing where the gun is. Learn to hold the gun more still.
    This. The dot reveals all of the user's issues with grip and presentation.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This. The dot reveals all of the user's issues with grip and presentation.
    Yup and yup.

That's one of the aspects of red dots I like so much, they reveal all of the operator's faults, especially when dry firing,

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sounds like you need some snap caps and LOTS of dry fire practice. That immediate feedback actually makes red dots awesome for ironing out grip issues in dry-fire.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Is it a 3MOA ? My first Red Dot was 3 MOA, Switched to 6 MOA and found it to be much better.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Is it a 3MOA ? My first Red Dot was 3 MOA, Switched to 6 MOA and found it to be much better.
    Screenshot_20221001_112417.jpg

This is the difference between 3 moa and 6

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    View attachment 429647
    This is the difference between 3 moa and 6
    Yes, and it makes a big difference . Honestly I would prefer something about the size if the iron front sights. The smaller the red dot the more it bounces around and distracts me. I usually float the Bull and even at 25 yards off hand a 6MOA does fine as far as accuracy while being easier to pick up on follow up shots.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Worth a thousand words.

Trade off some precision for quicker target/dot acquisition?
    Yup. I don't like the bigger dot and switched back to a 2MOA eps carry from that 407k. I like having more precision and if you need to find it easier, you can just turn up the brightness to bloom it out a little bit. Shakiness and not finding it are both largely functions of grip that can get ironed out with practice. I didn't notice less shaking with a bigger dot, since the dot is slaved to the slide, it will move the same whether it's 6moa, 2 moa, or 3 moa.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have 6,5, and 3 moa dots. I find little difference. My 6 and 5 are Trijicons and the dots are perfectly circular without and flare, which is very eye friendly. My edc dot is a 3 moa. Depending on how bright I have it set up, it can be a bit flarey, but not in a astigmatism kinda way.
    I don't have any problems with the dots moving around much. For those who do, try rotating your elbows outward a little bit. That will help stabilize the gun better, cutting down on dot movement. Don't try to hold the dot exactly on the target, instead, let the dot kinda float in a bit of a circular motion on the target. As long as the bullet hits where you last saw the dot as the shot broke, you're good. That's what you want.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, and it makes a big difference . Honestly I would prefer something about the size if the iron front sights. The smaller the red dot the more it bounces around and distracts me. I usually float the Bull and even at 25 yards off hand a 6MOA does fine as far as accuracy while being easier to pick up on follow up shots.

Both are moving around exactly the same in actual movement . The difference is the perception , as a percentage of the dot size .

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Both are moving around exactly the same in actual movement . The difference is the perception , as a percentage of the
    Absolutely, but perception matters. Also think about this; if you are fine with the existing iron front sight on your gun wouldn't you want a red dot that approximates its' size ? Another thing I have noticed with a Red Dot you are not focusing on two sights so you seem to focus more on the dot which magnifies the movement. Anyway, everybody is different and these are just my observations.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Absolutely, but perception matters. Also think about this; if you are fine with the existing iron front sight on your gun wouldn't you want a red dot that approximates its' size ? Another thing I have noticed with a Red Dot you are not focusing on two sights so you seem to focus more on the dot which magnifies the movement. Anyway, everybody is different and these are just my observations.
    Actually, it should help you focus on the target better.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    For irons, there are three focal planes... 1) rear sight 2) front sight 3) target. The traditional wisdom is the front sight should be the primary focus of your attention. That's not easy to do when your body overrides that to focus on a threat out at plane 3.

One of the biggest reasons red dots are cool is that there is only 1 focal plane... the target. You need to actually start from scratch and re-wire your brain to look at the target and NOT at the dot. The dot should naturally superimpose itself over the target that you are looking at through proper grip/presentation fundamentals. It's a completely different skill than shooting through irons and demands similar time practicing/dry-firing to build proficiency. Once there though, it's pretty awesome for general awareness and target transitions.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    One of the biggest reasons red dots are cool is that there is only 1 focal plane... the target. You need to actually start from scratch and re-wire your brain to look at the target and NOT at the dot. The dot should naturally superimpose itself over the target that you are looking at through proper grip/presentation fundamentals.
    Spoiler alert: this is how people who are really good at irons shoot, too, at least at distances under about 15yds. Target is in focus, front and rear are a blur, but visibly aligned. It is admittedly harder to do than doing it with a red dot.

3 MOA vs 6 MOA makes no difference whatsoever with finding the dot. The big difference, IMHO, is that there's less tendency to overconfirm/over-aim when the dot is bigger. People confuse this for moving less, and it's not.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Hmm, I think the OP stumbled on something accidentally. Pistol with gyro stabilization. (in the pistol, not the optic)
    Gimmick though to make range commandos feel better and separate themselves from their money.

RennBaer

Aug 16, 2022
    NY-istan
    Actually, it should help you focus on the target better.

I would be willing to bet that most people using red dots are actually using them incorrectly and are unknowingly focusing on the dot. Without proper training it is way to easy to focus on the bright glowing dot in the window and not on the target. That's why I'm a huge fan of dot occlusion, especially when new to red dots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom