• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    . Also think about this; if you are fine with the existing iron front sight on your gun wouldn't you want a red dot that approximates its' size ?

Yes , I am outspoken advocate of Irons , and large degree of skepticism over Dots .( They do what they actually do , but that isn't necessarily what many want them to do .)

But this one isn't a direct comparison .

The primary function of the Dot is to be noticeable by means of it's Brightness . A smaller dot will be just as bright .

With Irons there are a multitude of aiming strategies , with near infinite gradations inbetween as needed .

For the proverbial close/ fast , there can be something akin to using the front sight not dissimilar to the bead on a shotgun . When more precision is needed/ wanted , the aiming point can be centered along the top edge of front sight , in conjunction with alignment with rear sight .

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Red dots are not slow aiming, bullseye shooting accuracy devices, this is what many don't understand.
    They are pretty great for long-distance and/or precise shooting though. It's noticeably easier to ring steel at 100 when dicking around at DSC with my red-dot pistols over my irons.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    They are pretty great for long-distance and/or precise shooting though. It's noticeably easier to ring steel at 100 when dicking around at DSC with my red-dot pistols over my irons.
    That's because as long as the dot is anywhere on that white steel, it'll hit. You are not beholden to worry about making dime sized groups.

I'll hit the 10 ring in a B27 or whatever target with irons more often than with a dot tho.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Red dots are not slow aiming, bullseye shooting accuracy devices, this is what many don't understand.
    Why not? They work the exact same as when on a rifle. If you choose to take your time they are a lot easier to make precision shots with than irons (not only due to the single focus thing but the front blade of most handguns appears HUGE at long distances.) Not talking huge B27 targets. Think golf balls/oranges/etc at 50+yds.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why not? They work the exact same as when on a rifle. If you choose to take your time they are a lot easier to make precision shots with than irons (not only due to the single focus thing but the front blade of most handguns appears HUGE at long distances.) Not talking huge B27 targets. Think golf balls/oranges/etc at 50+yds.
    What's easier to aim, a rifle or pistol?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Finally got my FN out on the range with a new red dot. Dang dot giggles around a lot....
    Old timers used to say the EXACT same thing about scopes. They erroneously thought they could hold their irons rock-solid, but the crosshair position reveals all.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    A 3moa dot is roughly 1/3 the width of a Glock front sight post. Lol
    So then do you think it's an improvement because it's smaller than the Irons ? In terms of the OP and shaking, I too experienced this but right away knew why and switched to a 6MOA which works better for me. It is kind of like having a scope set at too high a power and backing it down, while not really changing your shaking, it lessens the affect and allows me to get on Target more easily.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So then do you think it's an improvement because it's smaller than the Irons ? In terms of the OP and shaking, I too experienced this but right away knew why and switched to a 6MOA which works better for me. It is kind of like having a scope set at too high a power and backing it down, while not really changing your shaking, it lessens the affect and allows me to get on Target more easily.
    It's hard for me to say. Is it a matter of the dot actually shaking/vibrating, or is it more a matter of motion?
    I don't have that problem so I couldn't honestly tell you a larger dot would help you. Did you read my post further up thread where I talked about different size dots and movement?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    It's hard for me to say. Is it a matter of the dot actually shaking/vibrating, or is it more a matter of motion?
    I don't have that problem so I couldn't honestly tell you a larger dot would help you. Did you read my post further up thread where I talked about different size dots and movement?
    Yes Sir I did read the earlier post, Fair Enough :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes Sir I did read the earlier post, Fair Enough :)
    I'm home now so I can address the 6moa dot. I don't think it would make a noticeable difference as far as shake mitigation is concerned. A 6moa dot easily fits withing the ring of this XS DXW2 Big Dot front post. That will make the dot about 2/3 the width of a Glock front sight post(which is still pretty small).

Try to get the dot moving in a tight circle instead of a side to side or up and down motion.

I will also admit seeing a little bit of shaking as I point the gun, but for me, it's not a giant issue. The movement is not greater than the width of the dot.

front sight of XS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom