Votes: 4 11.4%
    • I'm Not Worried, I'm Renewing

Votes: 26 74.3%

• Total voters

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I recently got my C&R renewal notice.

I have to admit, I was seriously thinking about not renewing, and was *this* close to sending it in as a "non-renewal". But at the last minute, I changed my mind, even though I don't really plan on buying anything in the foreseeable future. Better to have one, and not need it, than the other way around.

But over the past couple of years, my trust in the BATF has been in a spiraling decline... Fast & Furious, various other scandals, and their terrible treatment of a friend who had a LEUP for model rocketry, has really shaken my faith in them.

With this administration's lawless behavior, and downright hostility to gun owners and the 2nd Amendment, I seriously hope I haven't made a mistake by renewing. The horror stories I hear about uneven treatment by BATF people really worries me - it seems they can't shut down people who are obviously bad eggs, straw purchasers etc., but then they turn around and threaten people with thousands of dollars in fines for trivial paperwork mistakes.

Anybody else here with a C&R having reservations about renewing?

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I didn't renew; I may re-apply later tho. I liked the idea of not having to keep the Bound Book tied to the other license since I wasn't really thinking of buying anything soon. If I get in a position to purchase more C&R goodies later, I will just re-apply.

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    I've had 3 off and on. Took a year+ off several times. What do you mean send it in as a non renewal? It will just lapse if you don't renew. At this point I am thinking I will renew when the time comes. I'm thinking that the process may change by executive orders or internall regulations, or they may just make it harder to get. If you decide to close it out and turn it back in later you can do it later and haven't lost much.

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    Whats to be paranoid over, it is legal activity as long as you maintain your bound book you have no worries and not participate as a dealer. I do not know anyone who has faith in the BATFE anyways prior or now. The discounts with vendors is worth maintaining it even if not used to purchase an C&R firearm.

edit changed what to worth!

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    mine is good through 2015 as of now.

that said, i would renew.

despite us keeping records, unless the rules change in the coming years, there's nothing to worry about, the ATF doesnt know what i bought, or even that i bought it, and if there's trouble later, i can simply send in my license to cancel and shred my bound book.

im not saying nothing can ever happen, but as of now, there's nothing to worry about, and if something happens later, we'll see it coming and then do what we need to then.

as of now im enjoying my license far too much to even think of giving it up.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I went ahead and renewed, even though letting the license lapse and then reapplying would permit me to destroy all earlier records (legally) and start afresh.

I'll have to see how battered my tinfoil hat gets over the next few years.

Really, though, it's a wonderful tool, and lets me stick a thumb in Maryland's eye as I order regulated firearms in interstate commerce, without having to submit to MD's onerous regulatory burdens.

Also a plus . . . guns at wholesale, delivered to my door. Can't beat it with a stick.

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    There are many advantages to the C&R ffl. So many that it seems too good at times. I encourage everyone to get one now while it is still good. However I cringe when someone flaunts the advantages to others who may not see the benefits in the positive light we do by saying
    stick a thumb in Maryland's eye as I order regulated firearms in interstate commerce...
    Obviously Obama has been made aware of the 50 year rule, and in my opinion they are looking ahead at AK's and other similar rifles becoming curios and relics because of age. That could affect old shotguns, nice colt revolvers, and woodsmans. So some things will change, and the proposed legislation in MD appears to apply to collectors too. I see no sense in drawing attention in way that feeds the loophole mentality, should they decide to read our boards (and I believe some do).

Among the positive items to flaunt:
    1. You are licensed by ATF and a background check has been done, proving that you are one of the good guys.
    2. You know and abide by the rules.
    3. You are dedicated to collecting guns. No one can say you are not a collector as opposed to someone who just has a bunch of guns. This is further reinforced if you are a MD designated collector. Again one of the law abiders.
    4. You can enhance your collection, and get discounts for hobby related merchandise.
    5. You can buy certain collectible firearms directly from distributors because you are licensed to do so.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Don't have mine, was ready to send it in as soon as I got my next move done (wanted the address to be correct from the start).

However, not in a hurry now since it seems many of the things I wanted to buy have dried up for now.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Don't have mine, was ready to send it in as soon as I got my next move done (wanted the address to be correct from the start).

However, not in a hurry now since it seems many of the things I wanted to buy have dried up for now.

and yet you should get it BEFORE you see something you want, if tomorrow a beautiful shipment of "insert must have gun here" hit SOG you would not only not have a license to order one, but SOG wont even deal with you directly unless you have a license, and so you have to speed off to a dealer to get him to place the order for you.

and by thenall of us hoarding douchewaffles have already ordered a half dozen each and SOG is out.

its literally as easy as filling out a couple of pages and putting them in the mail, there is no hassle in applying, you could be done in 10- 15 minutes.

it could take a few months to arrive, its nopt like having it just in case is bad, its only $30 for years.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Unless you really like ex-Soviet block stuff the days of vast quantities of C&Rs seem to be in the past. I really don't think .gov is going to allow importation of full-auto or converted full auto surplus even if the administration changes.

Other than that, you have to hope that a less than 50 y/o group of firearms gets collector's status or the one-of-kind firearm you always wanted but never saw shows up, shows up.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm not about to hide the advantages a C&R grants because Obama may not like the results. I'm tired of feeling like a second-class citizen in MD, and am pleased that I have a license that permits me to purchase firearms without additional regulatory burdens from the state.

There are huge numbers of firearms older than 50 years, and as it happens I prefer older examples, for the extra care and handwork that was lavished on them. C&R is far from being strictly Military Surplus.

Maryland already limits my C&R license to the extent that it is able. I am pleased that these limitations only apply within the state, and I will take every advantage the law allows in order to pursue my interests.

If straight talk makes you cringe, so be it. It's more than time to stand up for our principles. Every time we back down, more of our rights disappear. There's no compromising with people whose stated agenda is to completely eliminate our right of self-defense.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    midway stopped the discounts. too many people got their c&r's I suppose

That's funny, I just looked at their webpage and it's still showing my dealer discount, not saying they didn't cut it somewhat cause it seems the discount isn't as deep as it used to be.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    How many C & R holders actually go through an audit or even contact with the BATF after getting the FFL03? For all the benefits of buying C & R guns, and discounts from retailers, it's a no-brainer for me. I think the BATF has so much to do that worrying about the average FFL03 is far down on their priority list.....

I've spent $30 on a lot less valuable things......:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom