• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Followed a few YouTube videos and still having issues installing the bolt stop pin. Would love to have someone walk me through the installation, meet at my house, yours or anywhere.

Doing a favor for a neighbor and stepped in dog poop (over my head)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

>>>>>>>>> update
    FINALLY FINALLY

that little dangly thing off the hammer, what a bitch

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You and everyone else. Lol. There is a retro kit I believe that takes the struggle out of it. I haven't bought it yet. I have it bookmarked in my computer at home though.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    My least favorite firearm to take apart. Did something similar I was so upset thought I ruined a friends gun.

Several YouTube videos got me squared away good luck not enough experience to help with that model.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Followed a few YouTube videos and still having issues installing the bolt stop pin. Would love to have someone walk me through the installation, meet at my house, yours or anywhere.

Thank you,
    Make sure the grip assembly is seated 100%. You have to have the hammer in just the right spot, I believe it has to be all the way forward, so you'll need to pull the trigger and hold the barrel pointing down. The stop goes up in first then push the lever down to push the stop up. Once you get it right once it's easier every time after. There is definitely a trick to it.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    You shouldn't have to force it, it should just be smooth. I'm guessing your barrel and grip were not seated properly and by hitting the pin it corrected itself? I do use a block of wood and a hammer to seat the two halves fully, it's important.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    You shouldn't have to force it, it should just be smooth. I'm guessing your barrel and grip were not seated properly and by hitting the pin it corrected itself? I do use a block of wood and a hammer to seat the two halves fully, it's important.
    I've worked in an office all my life and my hand strength is more suitable for loving. :bannana:

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018

Thank you,
    I feel your pain. Where are you located? I had a MK2 and a MK3. Just picked up a MK4. Oh man, so much easier to put back together. On the earlier models you have to get everything just right before you push the lever back in. It's an art ...

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    The little dangly thing must rest outside the crossbar so it will re-engage the hammer spring.

If it falls inside that crossbar it will not re-engage and prevent racking the bolt.

I suspect that is what happened.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

Thank you,

I've owned a ruger MKII since 2001. I've disassembled it exactly twice in those 21 years, and the second time only because I made the mistake of using froglube on it.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    FINALLY FINALLY

that little dangly thing off the hammer, what a bitch

Now working. Will return to neighbor and will never touch one

Thanks for all ur patience & words of encouragement

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The first time I took mine apart, I swore that if I ever got it back together, I would never do that again.... I just spray the crap out of it with gun scrubber and get at all the parts I can with cotton swabs. This has worked for a dozen years.
    Once you figure out the "trick," it's pretty simple. However, for me the, "I'm never taking this apart again until I absolutely have to approach" keeps it running long enough to forget the trick when it becomes necessary :rolleye12

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom