• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The first time I took mine apart, I swore that if I ever got it back together, I would never do that again.... I just spray the crap out of it with gun scrubber and get at all the parts I can with cotton swabs. This has worked for a dozen years.

I disassembled mine once, in 1986.

Never again.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I clean my MKII and MKIII regularly. Every now and then they will fight me on reassembly. I just have to remember to hold my tongue right.

I was once the range master for a gun club. I will never forget a member coming to the indoor range seemingly distraught. "Bob, what's wrong? I took my Ruger apart and must have broken it because it won't go back together." He held out a bag of parts, the barreled receiver and grip frame. I laid everything out on the bench and put it together on the first try. This poor guy looked at me like I had 3 heads. He had been fighting it all night and most of the next day. He didn't want to miss the league match that night. From then on he cleaned it after the match and had me put it together before leaving.

I miss that old man, he passed away a year or so later. I still have that gun. I purchased it and a few others from his estate.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The hardest part is making sure that little dongle is in the right place.

It helps if you hold the gun pointed up while you insert the guts.

etc1006

Nov 19, 2014
    SW Balto County
    MkII was my dads first handgun in the late 80's/early 90's after my folks split up. I inherited it when he passed. I remember him cussing a few times over the years doing this. IIRC he also did Dawson Precision fiber optic sights on it too. He loved that bugger for cheap plinking fun. We used to goto Best & Co in Pasadena and buy bricks of ammo for it for $20.... Lord only knows how many rounds he put through it. He actually had it sent back to Ruger a couple months before he suddenly passed because the barrel wouldn't tighten up totally. I've taken it a few times on my trips to the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom