• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CDR

Honor,Courage,Commitment
    Mar 4, 2012
    Frederick County
    Greetings,

New guy to the forum. I have been reading some of the threads regarding folks wanting to get the new Ruger SR1911. I too, have been searching and believe the only way to get one in Maryland is find a dealer online to ship one to your local shop with FFL.

After much searching and finding the right price, I was able to secure one yesterday from a dealer. I have spoken to many shops over the months and have found a few, but they were severely over priced given the MSRP of $799.00. Even Gunbroker is very expensive. I didn't need to spend well over $800 to upwards of $900 for this weapon. I did however have to find a shop in Alaska to buy it at a reasonable price.

So now I have to get my local shop to FAX their FFL and the rest should be history. I am truely psyched to finally obtain this weapon.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Don't forget the stupid but required fired case and the Omega Lock, since I do not think the gun has an integral lock.

Good luck on the gun. Hopefully the prices will come down to earth when demand goes down.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Install a Springfield Armory ILS before taking it home. That is an approved lock. You can usually buy a clean low use unit with key(s) for about $20 online.

Join www.1911forum.com and check out the WTS forum. Usually at least one a week is listed there. Just a suggestion I thought I woukd throw out there after reading the approved lock thread on this site.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Install a Springfield Armory ILS before taking it home. That is an approved lock. You can usually buy a clean low use unit with key(s) for about $20 online.

Join www.1911forum.com and check out the WTS forum. Usually at least one a week is listed there. Just a suggestion I thought I woukd throw out there after reading the approved lock thread on this site.

One issue with the ILS and a non SA gun, you would have to tear the gun down at the FFL to install it so you can leave with the ILS installed. A lot of trouble for something you never need to use again.

An Omega is about $20 and you can borrow one legally.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    One issue with the ILS and a non SA gun, you would have to tear the gun down at the FFL to install it so you can leave with the ILS installed. A lot of trouble for something you never need to use again.

Mike,

I'm not sure, but I think that the gun just needs to be sold with the lock, not actually installed at the dealer. I've been told both ways, so I don't know for sure.

MH

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    MH, I have been told both as well and had FFLs do both. One shop insisted that the lock be installed before I finished signing the forms and another shop tossed the lock into the plastic bag I got, along with some cleaning supplies.

dmck

Sep 9, 2011
    Alot of dealers just throw it in the bag. It is supposed to be installed. The nice thing about the omega lock is that maryland law does not say that after you get the gun home you do not have to use it any longer. I personally do not like internal locks in any form spring. ils or omega i would rather just throw the omega away when i get the gun home.

link to mdsp approved lock systems and paragraph stating that they must be installed at dealer

http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=V_PGC6u4JPk=&tabid=509&mid=1215

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    link to mdsp approved lock systems and paragraph stating that they must be installed at dealer

http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=V_PGC6u4JPk=&tabid=509&mid=1215

What the reference says is: Installation of any of these listed devices in an approved handgun when sold satisfies Maryland law.

It does not say that selling the lock without installing it does not satisfy the law.

SB211 from 2000 says:
    A DEALER MAY NOT SELL, OFFER FOR SALE, RENT, OR TRANSFER IN THE
    9 STATE ANY HANDGUN MANUFACTURED ON OR BEFORE DECEMBER 31, 2002 UNLESS
    10 THE HANDGUN IS SOLD, OFFERED FOR SALE, RENTED, OR TRANSFERRED WITH AN
    11 EXTERNAL SAFETY LOCK

The gun must be sold with the lock. The law does not say it must be installed. The State Police reference is correct. Installation of an external lock will satisfy the law. But so will a sale with the lock.

Side note: In perusing the MD list of approved locking devices, I found Cimarron-Aldo Uberti System for SAA. That's it! Two years ago, a respected dealer near a Taco Bell in Jessup made me buy a lock. It's been sitting since, but I think I should ask for my money back. On the other hand, he did let me use the same lock for a recent purchase of the same gun.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Why on Earth would anyone install a lawyer intergal gun lock on a 1911? Piss on that. Most people yank that shit off of guns, because its stupid.

Just borrow, or buy an Omega lock, and be done with it. If you buy another 1911, you can just bring the same lock, and not have to deal with that again. No one uses those stupid locks anyways.

If you live closer to me, I would just lend you my still new in the bag Omega for a 1911.

The SR1911 looks like a nice gun, but I would watch the prices on those. If Im not mistaken arent the MSRP like $600 for them? Im sure it wont be too long before the market gets flooded with them, and you can find what you want.

CDR

Honor,Courage,Commitment
    Mar 4, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks all! I understand the dilemma with the locks and I too think they are a waste of time and money. The LGS that I have been dealing with does not force the application of the lock upon receiving the weapon.

Referring back to Deep Creek Rock, the MSRP of the SR1911 is $799.00. Some have gotten them early on after release for $599.00 to $699.00. Finding one now at less than $699.00 just isn't going to happen. Most on Gunbroker have gone for $750 to $850.

I was just pleased to find one that wasn't as absurd as those on Gunbroker.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I am waiting for my ffl to get me one. We've already agreed on a price for when it becomes more readily available. I've had wait time practice back when the GP 100 and Redhawk were first announced.

bssmnbll

Feb 29, 2012
    the price for the gun and the ammo won"t change untill the washington regime changes, and maybe not then!!

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    Why on Earth would anyone install a lawyer intergal gun lock on a 1911? Piss on that. Most people yank that shit off of guns, because its stupid.

I thought most folks yanked them off because they can't see any safety change as an improvement. It reminds me of all the motorcycle riders that claim ABS brakes are dumb because a good motorcycle rider can stop shorter than any ABS system. Of course they can but most folks don't pay perfect attention all the time, even the good riders.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I don't know where you are located. I have one if you want to if it fits. I believe they do. I read something on another forum about putting a standard 1911 mainspring housing on one, though I don't remember the particulars.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I look at it this way - why mess with taking the mainspring housing off on a brand new in the box 1911 - just to take it home. The mainspring housing does not just fall off, there pinned in the frame. I think it would be far less a hassle to just buy/borrow/steal a lock, then to deal with all of that.

The gun does not have to ship with a lock to pick it up. You can supply your own (state approved) or the gun shop should be able to sell you one. Since its a 1911- the gunshop probably has shitloads of them.

Just my 2 cents.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    " - why mess with taking the mainspring housing off on a brand new in the box 1911 - just to take it home.".

Not a big deal... it takes a couple minutes. Dozens of these guns are 'upgraded' new or near NIB everyday because of percieved inferior parts. Same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom