• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    To be brutally honest they can be ammo sensitive. They tend to like target ammo only. If my memory serves me, CCI ammo is the preference. I have it listed in my notes at the shop so Ill look it up next week when Im back and let you know what ammo in particular.

Its not that it wont shoot accurately, its that they just wont run reliably with certain brands. They are far from fragile though.

I have seen ALOT of complaints from 41 owners about this and we know the guy at S&W whos sole responsibility is Model 41's. He gives us the straight scoop and it comes down to ammo selection. You have to be willing to use what they tell you.

All I shoot out of mine is CCI standard Velocity. I do not run the high velocity wall-mart bulk ammo .
    I think I even changed the spring years ago. So strictly target ammo for me.

This ^^^

The M41 isn't a general purpose/sporting type handgun, it's designed strictly as a target/match gun and alot of match guns, especially rimfire, can be VERY ammo sensitive. Good quality match grade ammo of standard/target velocity should be used for best results in the immediate and long run. If S&W recommends CCI target/match, then run it. I've used in mine, the Winchester .22lr pistol MKIII match grade ammo way back in my National Match days. If one wants to run cheap Wally crap through their guns, get a Buckmark or Ruger to run it in, as they seem to like most types of ammo.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Lou is right on the money. A Model 41 is a middling serious target pistol, not a plinker. You feed it match ammo, and it runs. They do have a reputation for being a bit pickier than some other target pistols, but not much.

And right now, $750 would be a good price if the gun is in good shape. I'd buy it if I weren't saving for a top-end European gun.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Many years ago, a good friend's wife owned a mdl 41.

She wanted to buy her husband a PPK/s to carry, so, she offered the mdl 41 to me.

Best $$$ I ever spent on a firearm!!!

What's strange. . . .this 5-1/2" barrel mdl 41 shoots ANYTHING except Eley Match ammo!!!!
    The old Federal "Hi-Power" 39 gr bullet shoots great!!!

This is one pistol that will NEVER be sold!:D

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I kick myself for letting go of mine years ago. Others are spot on about ammo requirements. Mine would shoot Eley Match pistol and CCI Gren Tag pretty well. I never even tried the high velocity stuff. Oddly, RWS R50, though more expensive than Eley at the time, would not do well in my gun... go figure...

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Our Mod 41 has only had Eley Tenex run through it since my father purchased it in the mid 60's. It will keep a string of ten rounds inside a dime at 50yds off a Ransom rest to this day. They're incredible target pistols for the money.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Did any of you gentlemen end up calling/stopping by the shop to pick it up?

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    I sent an e-mail to 'em asking for pix & info (S/N, barrel-length, chamber-indicator, etc.)
    I am in far southern MD so it's a bit of a hike for a gun that might already be sold.

But don't let that interfere with you making an offer if you're interested. I've already got one* and would not want to get in the way of another person to enjoy this sweet gun.

* I would be buying this one for my wife. ;-)

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Tragic Disappointment --> Making Lemonade

Still no reply from them. I guess it must have sold. These don't last usually long, whether on Gunbroker or elsewhere.

Silver-Lining: Oh well, I guess I'll just use this as an excuse to buy a new barrel. Any recommendations from smarter folks than me?

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Still no reply from them. I guess it must have sold. These don't last usually long, whether on Gunbroker or elsewhere.

Silver-Lining: Oh well, I guess I'll just use this as an excuse to buy a new barrel. Any recommendations from smarter folks than me?

I got a S&W barrel from bullseyegear.com a 5.5 ". but Clark is top of the line .

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Yep -- I figure to go with a higher-end barrel for a higher-end gun.

which one are you getting ?
    The reason I went with the smith is that clark does not offer one with sights anymore . I had a 7" barrel on it . I really like the 5.5" way more it has more weight and better balance.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    So what is the average (blue book) price on a used one LNIB? I'm looking online but I'm not sure what the pricing should be.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    they really don't loose much but........
    the older ones were made in Springfield Msss and the new ones are made in Huburton Maine. Some say the older ones are better I don't know I have fired a new on may 20-30 rounds ( a friends) .I have a old one I have fired 20 k + .
    I have seen used ones for around 7-8 hundred and new ones around 1K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom