• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    My certs have nothing to do with my opinion. My certs don't make me any better than any one with an NRA cert. Your actual skills with a pistol count along with actually being able to teach. I believe there are a lot of people who got into it because of the pot of gold the state created with the restrictions that are in place. Many of them can't shoot, can't teach and or can't coach.
    :thumbsup: sort of like the ITTTech hilarious commercials where the dude says three weeks ago I was a Washer repairman. Now I have a job blah blah . :)
    The issue is that none of these posts should matter. It is an enumerated right. Should you get training? Sure but it should not be mandated.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    IF we were to hypothetically grant good faith for wanting to elevate the profession, there is another avenue .

Pulling an example out of the air , the National Assn of Realators seeks to professionalism their thing , create an identity to set themselves apart from Billy Bob's Used Cars & Used Houses .

Create something along the lines of Mid Atlantic Association of Advanced Tactical Firearms Trainers. Set their standards for membership . Set their standards for cirruculem and teaching methods . Develop their Brand to make their offerings perceived as value added .

Probably won't mesh well with a Specific 16hr W&C Class , buy that is leading into another post .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's great and the slogan to recruit new members could be:
    "That's a nice little training operation you have there, it'd be a shame if something happened to it"

Good punchline .
    But not how it would work out .

I've always said that what we need , and will eventually happen is for the Market to mature , and sort out .

There will always be ( legitimately) different market segments with different things they're looking for . And different providers with different offerings . They may or may not correctly categorize themselves on either side , or make choices an outside observer would consider best . But the more disclosure and transparency, is always better .

It wasn't snark ( OK, just a little ) , but actually a serious concept .

There are Training Providers who from their own inner motivation feel something to the effect of : ' I feel it is more moral obligation to give my students a close proximation of being actually reasonably competent, to handle many different scenarios . Even if that goes beyond the Mandated Requirements, and realistically, the mandated minimum hours. ' .

Cool . That's a thing , and there are clients out there looking for that . We just need to make it recognizably explicit, and match make the two groups.

Hypothetically- M.A.F.IA. ( dang just realized that !) Could brand themselves something like :

Our Staff will have X credentials & experience.
    Our staffing will be Y.
    Our subject matter will include the Required Done Well , plus ( blah blah ) in addition.
    To properly do so , our Members course offering including W&C piece of paper will be minimum of 20 hours , to be able to properly teach the extra additional ( blah blah ) "

We're not the cheapest, but we give good product, with real value added . Look for the M.AF.I.A logo , and be assured of receiving something specific.

Meanwhile, there is definitely a need for : We'll fulfill your Poll Tax with minimized undue burden , try not to tell very much inaccurate bs , and if you're interested , give you some actual skill pointers .:

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    IF we were to hypothetically grant good faith for wanting to elevate the profession, there is another avenue .

Pulling an example out of the air , the National Assn of Realators seeks to professionalism their thing , create an identity to set themselves apart from Billy Bob's Used Cars & Used Houses .

Create something along the lines of Mid Atlantic Association of Advanced Tactical Firearms Trainers. Set their standards for membership . Set their standards for cirruculem and teaching methods . Develop their Brand to make their offerings perceived as value added .

Probably won't mesh well with a Specific 16hr W&C Class , buy that is leading into another post .
    Like the NRA?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Like the NRA?

Not quite what I initially visualized , but yeah , could at least partially serve .

* In addition to meeting Maryland minimum Requirements , Acme Firearms Training Inc 's training offering will also include a complete NRA Basic CCW/ Defensive Pistol / Personal Protection Outside the Home course of instruction. *

But for full effect , would still need a Trade Group for mutual promotion, and Brand Identity .

And Again - I am Opposed to any mandatory training requirements for a Fundamental Right . The goal is Zero .

If it exists anyway , it is Mitigation Goal to always have available a path to paying Poll Tax with maximum inclusion and minimum burden .

Beyond That

Many clients may wish additional skills and instruction beyond that , of their own voluntary choice . And that's a Good Thing .

My spit balling here is to suggest how for Both options to be clearly defined for consumers , and to benefit the Trainers of various offerings by being transparent, and easier for potential clients to find the right match for them .

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    I’d like to point out something not yet discussed in this thread. I am now training my teenage daughter, and I have observed many new shooters at the range. Most teenage/20 something girls would be more comfortable learning from another young girl than an older dude with a ton of credentials.

No disrespect to the older dudes with credentials, but a young girl is not going to be comfortable with an older dude standing two feet behind her constantly saying “your thumbs are wrong, you’re standing wrong, lean forward, etc”. I’m not just thinking about goal oriented training to get HQL/HGP, but continuing training to get better.

Again, no disrespect. I’m sure most of the members on here already know how to shoot. We need to think about training the next generation, and that starts with the next generation of trainers. Making it harder to become a trainer won’t help that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No disrespect, but that is a fallacy. I teach a lot of women, and they have no problem with my controlled masculinity.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Can a good instructor ( male or female) successfully teach males or females ? Absolutely !

Is there a market demand from females who think they want a female instructor ( or the adjacent concept of all female students class ) ? Absolutely !

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Funny,I first knocked around this idea about two years ago with some friends, even came up with the same name (mafia)

TD

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Just a question, is Otwell a retired state trooper in fact? I have talked too a few retired troopers, who have never heard of him, and don’t recognize him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom