• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Well there's a Plot Twist of a Different Horse Breed !

We KNOW how similar change is playing out in California . It only takes 0.0000001 sq mm of tinfoil tucked in your hatband to see how Illinois intends likewise with their identical . ( Hint - Price Increase , and more importantly massive reduction in availability of * Required * training * )

Is Sen McKay ( R) ( Western Maryland) actually well meaning , not aware of the recent massive PDF from MSP laying out a mandatory, uniform class Content , and generally not know when to leave well enough alone ?

Is he actually only give lip service to 2A and have lots I'd But , but s ?

Is he being played for a dupe by the Dems ?

Someone from WM give the rest of us some background please .

I know Mike, he is very Pro 2A, not sure where this is coming from. I have e-mailed him and asked. I will let you know if I get a response.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I know Mike, he is very Pro 2A, not sure where this is coming from. I have e-mailed him and asked. I will let you know if I get a response.
    Please do. As one in his district, would love to know if something's askew. If western MD is folding to the general MD dipshittery, I'll happily retreat my residency and taxes a few miles west to W by God VA.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sen McKay regularly walks from his office to the state house and stops to talk with us on the bricks. I'm going to make it a point to ask him about this tomorrow night and have video rolling.

1198-1-10582b.jpg

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Copy and paste from John J's 2A MD email from this morning at 0500:

Only SB 1097 was discussed at any length. In the course of the discussion, it was apparent that some Committee members have some serious concerns about the amendments proposed by Committee Chair and SB 1097 sponsor, Will Smith which would increase the training and testing requirements for QHIL and QHIC instructors. It was apparent that the amendment language was sorely lacking. Senator Folden questioned the language describing training offered by nationally recognized firarms organization when he asked Senator Smith if his amendment recognized Everytown's fireams safety training. Smith said "No."

Discussion on SB 1097 will continue at a future session, the date and time were not announced.​

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The only "5 day class" is the mpctc instructor course for law enforcement. Day 1 is basic handgun, 2 shotgun, and 3 carbine. The remaining 2 days are red dots, safety and the equivalent of BIT.

But the course is only available to law enforcement. I can see how some instructors would push for that, if they were retired law enforcrment instructors. Co incidentally, california has done the same thing in SB2, only law enforcement instructors and instructors taught by a state accredited school can teach the ccw courses.

The nra instructor course would be 1 day student basic pistol. 2 days nra student ccw. 4 hours bit. 1 day nra basic pistol instructor. At the bare minimum. 4.5 days of much more relevant instruction than the mpctc course. For instructors that went the ppith and ppoth routes, that adds 4 more days as students, and more days in instructor courses.

One, the firearms instructor is a two week class and unless it was added this year, does not include red dot. Red dot is an additional 2 day class. The class only covers handgun and shotgun.

Also, the instructor cert needs to be renewed which you need evaluations from other instructors from teaching classes, evaluations for working the line and it has to be signed off by the department training head. Oh, the classes have to have an mpctc number so teaching qhic classes do not count.

Also, the firearms instructor class only makes you able to work the line. You need a general instructor cert also, which is another at least 5 but it may be 10 day class (it’s been a minute) and needs recertification by teaching mpctc classes.

Long story short, being an mpctc instructor already, it’s an easy path to the qhic, but it really can’t be maintained after you retire unless you are still working for the agency.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    So the instructor training portion of this bill doesn’t go into effect until July of 2027? Hopefully the SCOTUS will come and slap MGA down for all of their vengeful acts against law abiding gun owners, way before July of ‘27

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The way I understood it, is MSP write the test, and a third party testing agency actually give the test. Probably like master plumbers, MHIC, etc.
    Looks like language about a Nationally accredited organization needing to provide the training. I'd assume the NRA would quality.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I hate these azzholes. They’ll write and pass anything to fvck the 2A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    PP got a livestream interview with McKay

What McKay said doesn't fit with what I read

He swears he is just trying to make MSP follow SB1 "standards". Sounds like he is saying per SB1 he was expecting MSP to do more than develop a curriculum for the training. Maybe he was expecting trainer curriculum as well? He was adamant that he wasn't trying to add steps and things were difficult enough.

Our own @dblas and John Josslyn were namr dropped as people he was speaking to so hopefully this gets sorted

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you watched the stream, take him at his word and give him a call with your reservations and concerns. He said he wants to know if he's "off the rails".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom