SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patattack88

Jan 9, 2020
    Westminster
    I swear ever since CCP virus has made its rounds they have gone FULL BLOWN RETARDATION on everything in government not like they already where but know they seem to really show there hand this time. Also they all go around saying “GOVERN ME HARDER DADDY!” Like there the almighty god that will save them from death.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    In all seriousness, however, while I believe that the risk of being caught for non compliance is low, they will effectively have made all home built guns useless for self defense purposes. Use one to defend yourself or your family, and they will make an example of you.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The guidelines for each chamber are over at MSI’s bill tracker at tinyurl.com/mdgunbills

The senate last year limited spoken testimony to small handfuls of people from both sides. The house allows up to 50. Time may be limited to one or two minutes.

Written testimony is always accepted and even if it is ignored by legislators who’ve already decided that you deserve prison because guns bad, it can be instructive to friendlier lawmakers and help them debate from a point of clear understanding of the issues.

I encourage at least submitting written testimony.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I really don't see how this can be enforced. Are police coming with warrants to anyone who purchased an 80% paperweight demanding to search their home?

The BATFE isn't going to come knocking over this. Are our friends in Annapolis going to reinstate the Gun Trace Task Force? Good luck with that.

I wouldn't bet against this getting passed by the Demorats in Naptown. I'd like to know how they think this can be enforced.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sounds like the legality of this bill is entirely dependent on the AFT's proposed rule. If that proposal doesn't go through, and this does, this bill is contradictory to federal statute so wouldn't the supremacy clause kick in?

No. It just means that any person cannot have an FFL inscribe a serial number. So no one can legally possess a firearm not made by an FFL made after 1968. Full stop.

Because an FFL cannot legally serialize it. Just because we cannot comply, doesn’t mean we can’t dispossess ourselves of the illegal property before it becomes illegal.

The Hughes amendment doesn’t make post 1986 machine guns illegal. It just bars the treasury from accepting the tax on them from individuals. If you can’t pay the tax, you can’t legally possess them. A SOT bypasses that as they aren’t required to pay a tax on NFA items.

And SCOTUS has ruled (at least I think it was SCOTUS, might have only hit appeals level and SCOTUS didn’t take it up) that it is perfectly legal for the government to refuse to accept a tax payment.

So I don’t want to pin our hopes that just because you can’t legally comply with the law means it would be invalidated. If this was just unable to comply with new things I’d think it would have zero chance of being struck down. Since it would make our existing property illegal with no way to comply other than to destroy our property or remove it from the state, there might be a small chance of succeeding. Then again, judges might just say “oh well, ya’ll can sell your property out of state so it isn’t a taking”.

Yeah sure. Good luck to all us with that.

But with no legal way to comply without simply just openly banning them it’s pissing on us and calling it rain.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The proposed ATF rule submitted for comment in the spring would require 80% kits (and potentially a whole lot more things currently not considered guns) be treated as firearms and they’d require serials.

That’s not what’s at issue here however.

Simply,
    Should the bill pass, if one has unserialized unfinished frames or receivers or unserialized firearms come 1/1/23, they are in violation of the law and vulnerable to prosecution. The firearms must be inscribed in the manner the bill describes, or else.

After 6/1/22, it’d be illegal to acquire unserialized “unfinished frames or receivers” within the state.

It’s all strict liability and don’t think it wouldn’t be enforced. There’s not a county in this state that isn’t issuing ERPOs…

And that’s part of what blows my mind. I’d be shocked if the ATF finalized the rule by the summer even. So the ability to comply is going to be short. If it even happens before 1/1/2023.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    They did briefly in Hirschfield v. ATF, but that opinion was later vacated by the same panel for mootness (plaintiff aged out).

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I really don't see how this can be enforced. Are police coming with warrants to anyone who purchased an 80% paperweight demanding to search their home?

The BATFE isn't going to come knocking over this. Are our friends in Annapolis going to reinstate the Gun Trace Task Force? Good luck with that.

I wouldn't bet against this getting passed by the Demorats in Naptown. I'd like to know how they think this can be enforced.

If this bill becomes law, it would not be door to door searches. Getting pulled over for any reason and a cop wanting to search your car for any reason while you are on your way to shoot your unserialized gun or guns will be reason enough to make an example out of you.

How many Maryland ranges are going to overlook this if it goes into law? Probably none. They don't want to risk taking heat for letting someone shoot "illegal guns" at their place of business.

Don't forget about the neighbor that hates you and decides to call the cops on you for whatever reason. If a cop finds an unserialized gun in your house.... You will be made an example of. I am sure that everyone here has heard of "swatting". I would not put it past the rabid red shirts to do something like that.

They are just a few examples of how this proposed bill, if it becomes a law, could bite anyone in the ass. Basically if you own an in serialized gun then you have the potential of becoming the next "gun criminal" on the 5 o'clock news. Tarred and feathered for all of the public to see. It is just one more way for the righteous anti-gunners to smear innocent people in front of the ignorant.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    So if this passes, does MSP hide the subsequent years of statistics of "ghost gun" seizures from the MGA to give them the warm-fuzzy that the law is working...(even though it isn't)...

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    So if this passes, does MSP hide the subsequent years of statistics of "ghost gun" seizures from the MGA to give them the warm-fuzzy that the law is working...(even though it isn't)...

The part that kills me about the proposed MGA gun bills, past and present, is this... The bills do not focus on public safety what-so-ever. They focus on the 0.1 percent of a given problem and ignore the other 99.9 percent of the problem. They like to spend time focusing on "ghost guns" while stolen handgun crimes get a slap on the wrist. their eyes are not on the ball. Not even close. The batter hits a ball to left field and they all go running to the right field looking for it. It's a joke.

Our MGA is so deep blue that we never stand a chance of seeing it turn into a republican majority. Never.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    The part that kills me about the proposed MGA gun bills, past and present, is this... The bills do not focus on public safety what-so-ever. They focus on the 0.1 percent of a given problem and ignore the other 99.9 percent of the problem. They like to spend time focusing on "ghost guns" while stolen handgun crimes get a slap on the wrist. their eyes are not on the ball. Not even close. The batter hits a ball to left field and they all go running to the right field looking for it. It's a joke.

Our MGA is so deep blue that we never stand a chance of seeing it turn into a republican majority. Never.

It is the way they always see it. Strictly about control and nothing for public safety.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If this bill becomes law, it would not be door to door searches. Getting pulled over for any reason and a cop wanting to search your car for any reason while you are on your way to shoot your unserialized gun or guns will be reason enough to make an example out of you.

How many Maryland ranges are going to overlook this if it goes into law? Probably none. They don't want to risk taking heat for letting someone shoot "illegal guns" at their place of business.

Don't forget about the neighbor that hates you and decides to call the cops on you for whatever reason. If a cop finds an unserialized gun in your house.... You will be made an example of. I am sure that everyone here has heard of "swatting". I would not put it past the rabid red shirts to do something like that.

They are just a few examples of how this proposed bill, if it becomes a law, could bite anyone in the ass. Basically if you own an in serialized gun then you have the potential of becoming the next "gun criminal" on the 5 o'clock news. Tarred and feathered for all of the public to see. It is just one more way for the righteous anti-gunners to smear innocent people in front of the ignorant.

While I agree with the last paragraph, what ranges are going to start checking serial numbers?
    The police may want to search my car if they pull me over but they aren’t doing that without probable cause or a warrant.
    Same goes for my house.

Know your rights and use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Baltimore City Police have in the past visited Freestate, Continental, and other area ranges to check for prohibited persons.

It’s worth reading I Got a Monster[i/] sometime to see what gun control really looks like.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

Your first paragraph should be the intro to testimony against the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom