SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I was giving this a lot of thought today.
    I don't think they are dumb as we think they are, or that this is "misguided reaction".
    2 events have been running on a parallel course.

A) The Dems have been going softer, and softer on hardened criminals,, the one out there shooting and killing. And really ramped it up the last few year.

B) The Dems have been introducing legislation touted to stop/reduce all this heinous crime. , and really ramped it up the last few years. The legislation they introduce/pass progressively has become less and less even addressing violent crime, and more about ONLY restricting lawful gun owners. SB327 does not even pretend to address the street thug with a "Ghost gun" killing lift drivers and executing police. A misdemeanor is not even charge/prosecuted in Balt/PG
    But if a lawful gun owner, productive citizen found with one of these previously legal guns,, his life is altered forever. There is a VERY specific reason they have it a misdemeanor punishable by 3 years (even though he/she would only see a month or 2), they would lose the right to ever own a gun the rest of their lives, they would probably lose their job and house.

So why would Dem law makers care so much to erode lawful citizens gun rights? Because politics is a lifelong carrier, And the "King Makers" who bankrolled their campaigns (and future campaigns) have dictated to them what is to be done.

We need to stop thinking that going to testify 1 day a year is our main fight. The fight needs to be taken to the legislators themselves.
    We need a campaign to expose each and everyone of them personally, throughout the year.
    I have tried to drum up interest multiple times, with little to zero interest. I did get 1 PM with an offer of support. But otherwise no interest.

They did this with bump stocks - try buying a binary trigger in MD. Same thing is happening with restricting places you can carry - it's reactive to whatever's going on at the federal level, to try and hit us wherever they can.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm not clear why BeoBill's comment received this reply. It's not the community beating itself, it's the political power structure that has no interest in considering facts over emotional control of the fearful ill-informed.

The GA's blatant disrespect of anyone whose position is outside the progressive lockstep is apparent, toxic, and, given their ethically revolting (and successful) gerrymandering into single-party state control, actually tyrannical.

His initial comment implied that the MSP advises the Legislature to do whatever the MSP wants them to. That is patently untrue, given that every agency has a legislative liaison that may or may not testify on bills based on how the respective bills may affect said agencies.

He basically called "********" on what the Legislative Representative for MSRPA stated as a true fact, given that he, and I served as staff to a Delegate back in 2014 and had to deal with all of those liaisons, including the one from MSP.

So it is, the community beating it's self to death, when a respected member is attacked for stating the actual way things are as opposed to how someone thinks it is. We actually earned quite a bit if respect back in 2013, but we have since squandered it, because people on this board seem to think we utterly failed in 2013, when in point of fact, we caused the Governor, Speaker of the House, and the President of the Senate to have to threaten members of their own party, to get a bill passed. Even if that bill was ls than what they wanted.

If those negative nancies spent as much time fighting for our rights, as they did bemoaning Maryland politics, we might actually be able to make some progress here in Maryland. But hey, what the hell do I know, I just gave up four complete sessions worth of my personal time to bust my ass in Annapolis, work with some amazing people, (including the one you think is improperly offended) and in those four years we did make some progress.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I was giving this a lot of thought today.
    I don't think they are dumb as we think they are, or that this is "misguided reaction".
    2 events have been running on a parallel course.

A) The Dems have been going softer, and softer on hardened criminals,, the one out there shooting and killing. And really ramped it up the last few year.

B) The Dems have been introducing legislation touted to stop/reduce all this heinous crime. , and really ramped it up the last few years. The legislation they introduce/pass progressively has become less and less even addressing violent crime, and more about ONLY restricting lawful gun owners. SB327 does not even pretend to address the street thug with a "Ghost gun" killing lift drivers and executing police. A misdemeanor is not even charge/prosecuted in Balt/PG
    But if a lawful gun owner, productive citizen found with one of these previously legal guns,, his life is altered forever. There is a VERY specific reason they have it a misdemeanor punishable by 3 years (even though he/she would only see a month or 2), they would lose the right to ever own a gun the rest of their lives, they would probably lose their job and house.

THIS right here needs to be hammered each and every chance we get. If it isn't even going to be prosecuted, how will it be effective?

So why would Dem law makers care so much to erode lawful citizens gun rights? Because politics is a lifelong carrier, And the "King Makers" who bankrolled their campaigns (and future campaigns) have dictated to them what is to be done.

We need to stop thinking that going to testify 1 day a year is our main fight. The fight needs to be taken to the legislators themselves.
    We need a campaign to expose each and everyone of them personally, throughout the year.
    I have tried to drum up interest multiple times, with little to zero interest. I did get 1 PM with an offer of support. But otherwise no interest.

This needs to happen, and there have been meetings on how to do this, lead by a very knowledgeable member here of community action. But the meetings go no where, no one wants to put in the time or effort to do so.

If we picked one Delegate and one Senator and went after them none stop, we would have success.

Same thing I mentioned with firearms safety training in schools, start with one or two school districts to get it started and mov on from there.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I encourage everyone to follow the Baltimore City bail reviews. https://www.baltimorecitycourt.org/bail-reviews-and-reception-court-dockets/
    If it's a gun charge, it's almost always requested by the State's Attorney's Office (yes, THAT one) that they be held without bond and judges grant it most of the time. Those defendants then sit for 6 or 7 months before trial, if not more. This idea that Baltimore isn't making arrests or not filing or prosecuting gun charges is bunk.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Good to know,,
    So is the failure at the actual prosecution of the crime?

Why do we have an endless list of repeat felons murdering innocent people. Then we see their rap sheet and are aghast that they are even out of jail.

I encourage everyone to follow the Baltimore City bail reviews. https://www.baltimorecitycourt.org/bail-reviews-and-reception-court-dockets/
    If it's a gun charge, it's almost always requested by the State's Attorney's Office (yes, THAT one) that they be held without bond and judges grant it most of the time. Those defendants then sit for 6 or 7 months before trial, if not more. This idea that Baltimore isn't making arrests or not filing or prosecuting gun charges is bunk.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

But how many of those charges eventually get dropped? Judging by some of the MD case searches I’ve done, I’d say quite a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    That's nice. So how does the SHA affect our 2A civil rights by writing COMAR sections?

My point is that the MSP is a rogue agency that answers only to its commander and does exactly what it wants without ANY meaningful oversight. Remember that in every totalitarian state, those with the guns are in charge of those who don't. Including the politicians.
    and therefore carve outs ... thinking ahead? don't answer that, just a thought.

THIS right here needs to be hammered each and every chance we get. If it isn't even going to be prosecuted, how will it be effective?

This needs to happen, and there have been meetings on how to do this, lead by a very knowledgeable member here of community action. But the meetings go no where, no one wants to put in the time or effort to do so.

If we picked one Delegate and one Senator and went after them none stop, we would have success.

Same thing I mentioned with firearms safety training in schools, start with one or two school districts to get it started and mov on from there.

When we gathered for the bumpstock bills author's community meet at Panera? in Bowie .... that guy was mentally stressed that there was opposition! Yeah, his happy bumpstock bill day was ruined. Everyone got kicked out. Property manager came out and said all must leave the property. He pulled up next to me at the light @ Rt 3 and I could see it in he's demeanor! White knuckles on the wheel, gritted teeth and straight ahead gaze of wtf just happened :lol2: that dude was pissed!
    Yeah, this may prove to be an effective tactic.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Good to know,,

Why do we have an endless list of repeat felons murdering innocent people. Then we see their rap sheet and are aghast that they are even out of jail.

But how many of those charges eventually get dropped? Judging by some of the MD case searches I’ve done, I’d say quite a few

The problem is multifaceted. Sure some charges are dropped, but even those prosecuted don’t result in significant time. Take a look at the sentencing guidelines:

https://msccsp.org/Files/Guidelines/MSGM/guidelinesmanual.pdf

Appendix A, page 61 and on, are the weapon offenses (which are all considered crime against a person). Plea bargaining results in the offenses usually going in category V or below, which sets the bottom end of the guidelines starting at 3 mo. When you have people held pre-trial for six months or more, time served is a safe bet. Moreover, since time served by the time the case is ready for disposition is the most common result, the prosecutors in the city [that need to reduce their caseload just to keep up] have less reason to pursue the charges aggressively.

It is notable that, once you get out of the city (or PG) these charges are handled very aggressively by most prosecutors.

The other side of the problem is some judges want to hug the criminals - there are many that have a soft spot for drug addicts and when drugs are involved, voluntary treatment pre-trial can be an effective “get out of jail” tactic.

The other problem with judges, and it isn’t limited to the likes of O’Malley, is that some of the judges put on the bench are downright incompetent. It is not unusual for a judge to be appointed in either District or Circuit that has NO - ZERO - litigation experience, and even some of those that do still have no experience outside of say, land use or administrative cases. Sure the simple majority are the likes of Bill Jones in Cambridge, that know the law, the process, and understand recidivism (Bill is a former State’s Attorney), but when a significant percent are totally unqualified it is setting up a nightmare - not just in terms of outcome, but also just SLOW. Prosecutors then have to do something because the court can’t move fast enough (look up "Hicks date").

Then, of course, you have some defendants that just seem to have been born with a horseshoe up their backside.

Last edited:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Way to support someone that fights like hell for our rights in this God foresaken state, as a representative of one of the two state level 2A organizations in Maryland.

With all due respect:

So as "...someone that fights like hell for our rights in this God foresaken {sic} state, as a representative of one of the two state level 2A organizations in Maryland" I must support their every opinion slavishly on every topic, even when they're posing a strawman response? "The Emperor has no clothes."

Way to support critical thinking... We should be able to agree to disagree here. :sad20:

ETA: This is my last post on the topic of MSP influence here. Carry on.

Last edited:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

Good to know,,

These would be some powerful statistics to inject into our testimony if some one cared to take the time to research them, IMO.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    May be the thing that finally makes me leave my home state. Fed up with all of the greedy, sleazy politicians constantly going after my money and rights!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    These would be some powerful statistics to inject into our testimony if some one cared to take the time to research them, IMO.

Hard numbers may be difficult to compile but it’s been pointed out to them every year and they simply don’t care.
    They wouldn’t even pass stricter sentencing guidelines for felonies committed with a firearm because it was deemed racist.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    May be the thing that finally makes me leave my home state. Fed up with all of the greedy, sleazy politicians constantly going after my money and rights!

IMO for at least the time being it says something to stay, get your ducks in a row, and defy them

I'm not going to make snap decisions which may affect me financially because they knee jerk pass garbage year after year

davidlj

FM6
    Oct 24, 2008
    Glen Burnie MD
    An ex post facto law is a law that changes the legal status or consequences of an action after it has already been done, especially a law that makes an action illegal after it has been committed.

Jun 4, 2015
    It depends on the block. If it was MARKETED OR SOLD TO THE PUBLIC TO BECOME OR BE USED AS THE FRAME OR RECEIVER OF A FUNCTIONAL FIREARM ONCE COMPLETED, ASSEMBLED, OR CONVERTED, then it would need to be purchased from an FFL with the serial number already imprinted on the block. If it were just a block then you can wait until just before it REACHED A STAGE IN MANUFACTURE WHERE IT MAY READILY BE COMPLETED, ASSEMBLED, OR CONVERTED TO BE USED AS THE FRAME OR RECEIVER OF A FUNCTIONAL FIREARM.
    ~~
    Define "readily converted."

Oh, you can't, Senator? Then GFY. We have a definition of a firearm. Not of "something that might become a firearm eventually." (note I am addressing a hypothetical lawmaker, not jcutonilli)

AFAIK, an FFL could receive the frame, log it in, serialize it, as long as he stayed below threshold (an 01. No limits for an 07), and reported it to ATF as his make/manufacture, THEN transferred it back to you on a 4473.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    In the world history of gun control, every word of gun control without exception is used as precedent for the next and CONFISCATION is the ultimate goal of all gun control and REGISTRATION, which you can't do without serialization is the last step before CONFISCATION, they have to know who has them before they can take them.
    IF Maryland Residents don't oppose with unprecedented mass public protests and don't let their elected officials rest till gun control is off the table, CONFISCATION is
    inevitable and will spread like a cancer to the U.S. House & Senate and coast to coast nationwide.

Self Preservation using => force than can be brought against you is a human birthright. In the U.S. this is protected by, not created by the Second Amendment. Every word of Gun Control without exception be it federal, state, local or other municipality is Unconstitutional PERIOD. As is requiring government permission or knowledge thereof in anyway, shape or form.
    Without maintaing an effective means to remove and replace a tyrannical government; we are all slaves.

Attachments

• 20220202_084800.jpg
      20220202_084800.jpg
      62 KB · Views: 208
    • 9781937660017_p0_v1_s250x250.jpg
      9781937660017_p0_v1_s250x250.jpg
      13.3 KB · Views: 191

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members