SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Here's what I submitted. Added a little bit. Couldn't help myself. And yes, you need your address on what you submit to the MGA. I struck mine for uploading here.

Thanks again to all who are putting skin in the game!

Attachments

• DC-W_HB425_UNF-red.pdf
      2.2 MB · Views: 127

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    You do make a difference. Even if someone is immovable or ignorant towards your feelings and opinion, you may move or educate a fence-sitter. This testimony is also helpful to opponents of the bills, as it helps them better form the way they ask questions or otherwise challenge supporters of it during hearings and floor debates later.

Thanks to all who’ve chosen to put skin in the game.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I don't think my point got across. I'm not saying Form-1s would be okay- quite the opposite. Depending on how this law is written or revised, as it stands the bill states and 80s or completed 80s must be engraved by an FFL with part of the FFL's number in the serial. If you filed the AFT paperwork yourself without going through a trust, you would be the manufacturer in the eyes of the AFT but not the State of Maryland and thus in violation of this bill. So, your own serial number and engraved name registered with the AFT wouldn't suffice to satisfy this bill, and you cannot modify said serial number without violating federal statute.

My point is this bill affects any homebuild, regardless of whether it is registered or not, with specific requirements determined by the state that in certain cases require the owner to violate federal statute to be in compliance with state statute for the following reasons:

1. Unless you are a "Federally Licensed Manufacturer or Importer" you are not the manufacturer according to the state, regardless of your legal NFA lower, thus are in violation of this bill

2. Unless you are a "Federally Licensed Manufacturer or Importer", you may not engrave your own serial number, regardless of your legal NFA lower, thus you are in violation of this bill

3. Unless you are a "Federally Licensed Manufacturer or Importer", you will not have a valid FFL to engrave the "first three and last five digits" of your FFL number to make part of the serial number, regardless of your legal NFA lower, thus you are in violation of this bill

4. No FFL may alter an existing US-made serial number or legal NFA lower's serial number, thus your federally-legal NFA lower would not be in compliance with state law and there is no avenue to be in compliance other than to surrender or destroy your federally-legal NFA lower

5. Because this bill bans possession without a grandfather clause, all homebuilds and legal NFA homebuilds prior to 2023 are subject to be criminalized in this bill, regardless if they are federally-legal

EDIT: Basically, if your lower was not originally produced and engraved by an FFL-07 or 10, or was not engraved in compliance with this bill by an FFL-01, 07, or 10, your lower is in violation of this bill as is currently written regardless if it is federally recognized as legal with receipts from the AFT.
    I am not a lawyer.

(You do realize it's ATF, not AFT??)

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD

Attachments

• a65.jpg
      a65.jpg
      125.7 KB · Views: 309

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    FWIW, Del. Krebs’s legislative aid responded thusly:

Thank you for contacting Delegate Krebs concerning HB435 Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms. The Delegate agrees with you as the proposed legislation is supposedly aimed to curb crime however it is another bill to harm honest firearm owners.

Your testimony is appreciated as Delegate Krebs supports 2A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom