SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    The wording used during the hearing was not conclusive, but in no way is this "self registration through an online portal".

What they described was:
    1) Pay an FFL to serialize a receiver with a unique serial number
    2) Fill out a 77R with that new serial number
    3) (Implied) Pay 77R fee
    4) (Implied) Wait 8 days - because all 77Rs have a wait
    5) (Implied) Pick it up

They used "77R" in the committee hearing. And they wanted to do this because FFLs wouldn't comply with the previous proposed rule, so they want to take liability away from the FFL. With the liability removed, this becomes a police run registration of "ghost guns", which is what they want: the ability to take a gun recovered at a crime and ask someone "where did this go". Now, what kind of idiot is going to use a serialized firearm that can be traced back to them? Lol.

Ok, and I'll go out on a limb and assume nobody asked about pre 2013 built ban rifles. How are the state police going ti handle a banned by name firearm with a 77r date of 2022?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I don’t mean anything by this but FFLs come out pretty well on this one: engraving and those who say screw it I’ll buy the regular way (fully bent over).

How’s that bill doing that one does not need the classes to apply for ccw.

No I’ll intent meant.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The House is scheduled to vote on HB425 tomorrow. They moved it to third reading as introduced. Supposing they pass it as is, that will likely have the Senate amend it to match their amendments to SB387. Further supposing the Senate passes SB387 and HB425 as amended, both would go over to the House. If the House doesn't accept, there would have to be a conference committee.

Jakers07

MDS Supporter
    Mar 9, 2021
    I just wanted to personally thank everyone who called, wrote, testified, and fought this piece of trash legislation. We'll all hang together, or we'll all hang separately. God bless all of our patriots.

So much THIS

Thank you fellow patriots

Jakers07

MDS Supporter
    Mar 9, 2021
    I didn't put my skin on the line testifying, emailing, and calling, to the point of borderline *harassing* Senator Lee's office, for us to give up here. They know everything about me down to my blood type!!! I AM NOT GIVING UP THIS FIGHT.

I will do anything with this community to get his attention for a veto, I don't care if that means paying for advertising that says "call this number".

No more defeatism until it gets to his desk. Spread the word to every inch of this forum over the next few weeks, our best, and only remaining plan, is to get a veto from Hogan.

I would gladly contribute to an advertising campaign

Patattack88

Jan 9, 2020
    Westminster
    Lopezes office emailed me back its the same list that nickberg500 got from lees office that he already went through. I bet the question was do you engrave firearms with out asking about engraving serial numbers. So this 1/3 with dealers engraving numbers is a “big lie” a term the like to use.

Attachments

• 87C7EEF1-A0EB-41DA-9DB7-D1062658CA7A.jpg
      87C7EEF1-A0EB-41DA-9DB7-D1062658CA7A.jpg
      44.3 KB · Views: 231

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Lopezes office emailed me back its the same list that nickberg500 got from lees office that he already went through. I bet the question was do you engrave firearms with out asking about engraving serial numbers. So this 1/3 with dealers engraving numbers is a “big lie” a term the like to use.

Call them out. Ask them what question specifically was asked.

stricer555

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Jessup
    The wording used during the hearing was not conclusive, but in no way is this "self registration through an online portal".

What they described was:
    1) Pay an FFL to serialize a receiver with a unique serial number
    2) Fill out a 77R with that new serial number
    3) (Implied) Pay 77R fee
    4) (Implied) Wait 8 days - because all 77Rs have a wait
    5) (Implied) Pick it up

They used "77R" in the committee hearing. And they wanted to do this because FFLs wouldn't comply with the previous proposed rule, so they want to take liability away from the FFL. With the liability removed, this becomes a police run registration of "ghost guns", which is what they want: the ability to take a gun recovered at a crime and ask someone "where did this go". Now, what kind of idiot is going to use a serialized firearm that can be traced back to them? Lol.

Would this require someone have an HQL to get their gun back?

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Email sent i ask what was the question that was asked.
    It might seem like useless info at this point with the Senate bill Amendment, but anything can change at a moment's notice. For all we know Lopez doubles down and insists the FFL requirement stays.

Even better, the VA FFL claimed they would sue her if there's public documentation lying about their shop. They are an SOT though - so the lies would have to be specific to what they are willing to do to a firearm.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I don't have an HQL. I'm not getting a HQL. This violates the taking clause in the MD Constitution.

Of course, I got fvcked with the bump-stock crap, too.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I don't have an HQL. I'm not getting a HQL. This violates the taking clause in the MD Constitution.

Of course, I got fvcked with the bump-stock crap, too.

In addition to those people who don't have an HQL (and don't intend to get one) what about those that may have already engraved the small metal plate on an 80% with their own number or marking for identification purposes in the event of theft. Are they double f*cked.

FJB

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom