SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    SB387 is on the agenda for tomorrow (3/11) on the Senate floor. Reported favorable with amendments, as we know. It says there are 9 amendments. (They aren't up yet.)

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Well buying an AR lower does require a 77R, because a lower can be made into a pistol, which is regulated. A complete AR rifle does not because it is a rifle and the lower can't be used in a pistol in the future.
    Only 223/556 lowers go through the 77r because they can be built into a banned long gun not because they can be built into a pistol. If that were the case all AR 15/10 lowers would have to go through the 77r and they don’t.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    In addition to those people who don't have an HQL (and don't intend to get one) what about those that may have already engraved the small metal plate on an 80% with their own number or marking for identification purposes in the event of theft. Are they double f*cked.

FJB
    Don’t get an HQL.

Go ahead and get your Handgun Permit ASAP.

Once that’s approved, you can then ask for (and receive) the HQL for free.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    They wanted to pass this bill in some form because ghost guns are "everywhere". So they changed very little in actual content of the bill.

To me, it seems like they made the bill more pragmatic and harder to attack in the courts, and they all voted for it except one.

This has hardened my resolve in considering myself a complete idiot for staying in Maryland this long.
    Don’t abandon hope. They may not be able to reconcile the two versions (House vs Senate) before the session is over.

If it does pass, remember to donate some $$$ to MSI and FPC, so that a lawsuit might be mounted to challenge their foolish and unenforceable statute.

Last edited:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Don’t get an HQL.

Are you serious? What magic "good and substantial" reason gets me being a retired non ex-LEO a carry permit in MD?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Don’t get an HQL.

Gonna tell him to put **** on a bull if that doesn’t work?

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Only 223/556 lowers go through the 77r because they can be built into a banned long gun not because they can be built into a pistol. If that were the case all AR 15/10 lowers would have to go through the 77r and they don’t.

AR-10s and AR-15s can both be built into banned long gun copycat configurations (i.e. 2 of folding stock, flash hider, grenade launcher) and both can be built into pistols.

MSP has no reasonable, lawful logic behind their position on requiring 77Rs with AR-15 lowers. The only unintentional good of it is that you can use an AR-15 lower to bypass the HQL training requirement.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    AR-10s and AR-15s can both be built into banned long gun copycat configurations (i.e. 2 of folding stock, flash hider, grenade launcher) and both can be built into pistols.

MSP has no reasonable, lawful logic behind their position on requiring 77Rs with AR-15 lowers. The only unintentional good of it is that you can use an AR-15 lower to bypass the HQL training requirement.
    It's inconsistent, luckily. 77r isn't required for AR-10s or AR-9s. I had to fight a very green FFL to challenge the MSP when they were saying otherwise - still the case as of 2021.

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Just called delegate Cox office. They said a good chance these two bills do not get a vote today or to Governor's office.

https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2022RS/bills/hb/hb0425f.pdf

There's no chance in my opinion. No one has had time to review the Senate version, and the Senate turned down the House's bill. There is no time for reconciliation between them.

Unfortunately, I think that the Senate version has enough bipartisan buy-in to get passed.

I just don't think that people have looked at this in terms of "what problems do we want to solve".
    1. Kids are buying Poly80s and building them.
    2. Criminals are buying Poly80s and selling them

The list shouldn't include "someone built a rifle in 1997 using a machine press and welder", "someone milled out an AR-15 lower", "someone made a revolver from a kit in 1969".

The majority of the problem would be stopped by banning the sale of anything greater than 0% receivers in Maryland. No more kids buying them at home. No more criminals buying them in Maryland. And without federal regulations, this is the same solution that would happen with the current law for criminals.

The fact that we're fighting to not go to jail for building homemade firearms without serialization is f-ing disgraceful.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So what does this mean? Does this mean that we won for now and that these bills won't get voted on and passed at all?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    So what does this mean? Does this mean that we won for now and that these bills won't get voted on and passed at all?

As wonderful as that'd be, that's not the case. Sine Die is 30 days from now.
    Passage today to the governor's desk only avoids the possibility of him sustaining a veto (if he chose to do so).

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    So what we need is a veto, but I don't see that as being likely to happen.

Or the chambers to refuse to agree to rectify the language differences

The House has done this before. It happens sometimes.

Senate hasn't passed their version yet. Just came out of committee.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Can we get them to show us their approved version of the entire process including their serial number idea? Have them go through the hoops first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom