SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    You aren't getting out of this with no law. If the Senate version removes the Possession part, you've got a good chance of a narrowly tailored law that only impacts future conduct. That's a good law compared to the usual "assume the position".

Agreed, and what we're looking at federally, we're going to lose the right regardless, win or lose here.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Here are the unofficial rolls.

Attachments

• HB425 unofficial roll.jpg
      HB425 unofficial roll.jpg
      71.2 KB · Views: 243
    • HB425 count.jpg
      HB425 count.jpg
      68.8 KB · Views: 239

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    There's no chance in my opinion. No one has had time to review the Senate version, and the Senate turned down the House's bill. There is no time for reconciliation between them.

Unfortunately, I think that the Senate version has enough bipartisan buy-in to get passed.

I just don't think that people have looked at this in terms of "what problems do we want to solve".
    1. Kids are buying Poly80s and building them.
    2. Criminals are buying Poly80s and selling them

The list shouldn't include "someone built a rifle in 1997 using a machine press and welder", "someone milled out an AR-15 lower", "someone made a revolver from a kit in 1969".

The majority of the problem would be stopped by banning the sale of anything greater than 0% receivers in Maryland. No more kids buying them at home. No more criminals buying them in Maryland. And without federal regulations, this is the same solution that would happen with the current law for criminals.

The fact that we're fighting to not go to jail for building homemade firearms without serialization is f-ing disgraceful.

They’re not trying to solve problems, they’re trying to make people think they’re solving problems while restricting law abiding gun owners at every turn. F them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I am entirely disappointed that lies in the House were not called out and that these lies will get regular citizens imprisoned if this bill is passed as law.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Don’t abandon hope. They may not be able to reconcile the two versions (House vs Senate) before the session is over.

If it does pass, remember to donate some $$$ to MSI and FPC, so that a lawsuit can be filed to challenge their foolish and unenforceable statute.
    If it was the intent of MSI to litigate all along why did they help polish this turd? Are they going to guarantee that enactment and enforcement will be delayed for the 4-5 years that it takes to work through the court system?

What they have done is put the notion in people like Hough's head that we are just fine with this gun control and now the Senate bill has "bi-partisan" support.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    I've watched enough of the legislative sessions and read enough about this to know that Rs and Ds are going to do something. I'd like to make it so they do the best they can to logically solve a problem without completely f-ing every past and future gun hobbyist in the state.

Just to be clear:
    Police want something done about this.
    Sheriffs want something done about this.
    Mayors and County Executives want something done about this.
    The Attorney General wants something done about this.
    States Attorneys want something done about this.
    Democrat legislators want something done about this.
    Republican legislators want something done about this.

All of the above have spoken in support of a ghost gun ban.

You aren't getting out of this with no law. If the Senate version removes the Possession part, you've got a good chance of a narrowly tailored law that only impacts future conduct. That's a good law compared to the usual "assume the position".

You could have just written Bloomberg wants it.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    They’re not trying to solve problems, they’re trying to make people think they’re solving problems while restricting law abiding gun owners at every turn. F them.

This.

The MGA, and most politicians, don't want to actually solve the problem.

A good start would be to keep violent criminals locked up for a very long time, away from civilized society.

But its easier to restrict peaceful, law-abiding people.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If it was the intent of MSI to litigate all along why did they help polish this turd? Are they going to guarantee that enactment and enforcement will be delayed for the 4-5 years that it takes to work through the court system?

Maybe it was covered in the secret meetings....

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This.

The MGA, and most politicians, don't want to actually solve the problem.

A good start would be to keep violent criminals locked up for a very long time, away from civilized society.

But its easier to restrict peaceful, law-abiding people.

And the sad fact is that they continually refuse to pass laws with tougher sentences (including mandatory minimums) for crimes committed with a gun. These refuse this EVERY YEAR.
    Lousy prosecutors and judges don’t help either.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    And the sad fact is that they continually refuse to pass laws with tougher sentences (including mandatory minimums) for crimes committed with a gun. These refuse this EVERY YEAR.

The ease with which they make good people criminals for activities with no criminal intent is disgusting. An arrest on a gun charge will ruin your life in many respects. At the same time, the people who are the problem walk away from crimes again, and again.

#IWNC

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I hate to say, "I told you so," but I told you so.

I knew that this travesty was going to get hammered through, just like FSA2013. For those who say we got FSA2013 changed enough, it still happened, and it's still a huge infringement on our rights. This one is yet one more travesty on our rights.

I can't wait to get out of this state. Ugh - I can't believe I've lived here this long.

elwojo

Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I hate to say, "I told you so," but I told you so.

I knew that this travesty was going to get hammered through, just like FSA2013. For those who say we got FSA2013 changed enough, it still happened, and it's still a huge infringement on our rights. This one is yet one more travesty on our rights.

I can't wait to get out of this state. Ugh - I can't believe I've lived here this long.

I used to be okay living here. I'm kind of sick of being kicked while I'm down.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    AR-10s and AR-15s can both be built into banned long gun copycat configurations (i.e. 2 of folding stock, flash hider, grenade launcher) and both can be built into pistols.

MSP has no reasonable, lawful logic behind their position on requiring 77Rs with AR-15 lowers. The only unintentional good of it is that you can use an AR-15 lower to bypass the HQL training requirement.
    I just added the correct answer per MDS. I didn’t say it was logical. That’s too big of a hill to climb.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA

Look at the Racial make up of the criminals committing these crimes and you will have your answer on why tougher sentences will NEVER happen. While I try to be blind to these qualities in my life, sometimes it's too obvious to ignore.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Surprise, surprise! Those that comply with any unconstitutional attempts to usurp freedom should be cancelled! Politicians that support such efforts, should be tarred and feathered!

elwojo

Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Even "if" Larry were to veto it do they have the votes to override a veto ?

The below is as I understand it, mostly gleaned from DC-W and random reading:

If Larry wants to veto it, he can wait 30 days and then veto it. By then, Maryland's legislature will no longer be in session. This is all predicated on it not hitting his desk today - which I think is a certainty at this point. Because of this, they won't be able to override the veto unless a special session is declared. It is unlikely that a special session will be declared solely for this because that will stop all election fundraising for that period of time, and it is an important election year - gubernatorial election and all.

Next year, they will have to start the bill from scratch as a new legislature cannot consider vetoes from the previous legislature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom