SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Can you do a go fund me or a kick starter or something ? I would happily donate to the upfront cost of setting up and then pay to have my stuff engraved. F Maryland its a crying shame regular people have to rally like this just to stay out of jail while all the scum bags get a free pass.

The biggest hurdle will be the FFL. We need a storefront. I have no intention of opening a gun shop, at least not now. I appreciate the GoFundMe idea. If this venture works out, I may consider doing that. I really want to give back to the community, and providing cheap engraving will help a lot of folks save a lot of money.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The biggest hurdle will be the FFL. We need a storefront. I have no intention of opening a gun shop, at least not now. I appreciate the GoFundMe idea. If this venture works out, I may consider doing that. I really want to give back to the community, and providing cheap engraving will help a lot of folks save a lot of money.

I know someone who rents an office in a Stack n Store. Dirt dirt cheap. Might be worth looking at

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Maybe there's a small FFL who'd be willing to sell out their business, one who was closing up shop soon to retire? Doesn't the license go with the corporation, not the individual(s) who own(s) it?

There might be a viable business model for a "compliance" FFL, one who specializes in knowing and helping Marylanders comply at reasonable cost with, Maryland's idiotic, incomprehensible maze of firearms regulations. No need for a any investment in inventory with that model.

It's sad I'd even need to think up something like this.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I know someone who rents an office in a Stack n Store. Dirt dirt cheap. Might be worth looking at
    Good idea! I'll look. I have no intention of ever needing to store guns in a "shop". That should make it easier.
    Maybe there's a small FFL who'd be willing to sell out their business, one who was closing up shop soon to retire? Doesn't the license go with the corporation, not the individual(s) who own(s) it?

There might be a viable business model for a "compliance" FFL, one who specializes in knowing and helping Marylanders comply at reasonable cost with, Maryland's idiotic, incomprehensible maze of firearms regulations. No need for a any investment in inventory with that model.

It's sad I'd even need to think up something like this.

FFL's aren't terribly tough if you check the right boxes. It's not like a commercial crabbing license.

If I get an FFL, I'll do an FFL07. Why not?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    FFL's aren't terribly tough if you check the right boxes. It's not like a commercial crabbing license.

If I get an FFL, I'll do an FFL07. Why not?

It just seems easier from an administrative standpoint to buy out an existing business. IIRC ATF won't issue an FFL unless you have all your ducks in a row on the business side (charter, zoning, state and local licenses, etc.). It just adds delay.

I assume that FFL07 will include SOT? :D

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City

You don't NEED a storefront, do you? I have been to FFL that are in their house. they had a separate area and we entered from rear of house. I think (but not sure) that there can't be access from the house? Or access has to locked? Does Harford county allow ffl in residential zoning? He was in Cecil.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I assume that FFL07 will include SOT? :D
    :D

Yeah. It seems like a waste, but I can afford it and I love this hobby.
    You don't NEED a storefront, do you? I have been to FFL that are in their house. they had a separate area and we entered from rear of house. I think (but not sure) that there can't be access from the house? Or access has to locked? Does Harford county allow ffl in residential zoning? He was in Cecil.

Harford does not really allow home based FFL's to my knowledge. That would be ideal. It may be that I could be a "manufacturer" at home. I can sell one .22 suppressor each year. I've got a reasonable metal shop in my basement....

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    ATF is acting like the engraving can be done by almost anyone. That may change by the time rubber hits the road but trophy shop was on the list.
    Doc you may also check into getting with someone that’s already in business. My shop is probably too far from you and I don’t sell but I think you’d be an asset for someone that sells firearms.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    ATF is acting like the engraving can be done by almost anyone. That may change by the time rubber hits the road but trophy shop was on the list.
    Doc you may also check into getting with someone that’s already in business. My shop is probably too far from you and I don’t sell but I think you’d be an asset for someone that sells firearms.

Do you happen to know if I can get on an FFL and still do manufacturing work at home? I have a few ideas for suppressors that I need to prototype. If I had a SOT, I might actually manufacture some things.
    The engraving thing would be easy. I've hinted around with some of my acquaintances who have FFL's. Nobody bites...

:D

Yeah. It seems like a waste, but I can afford it and I love this hobby.

Harford does not really allow home based FFL's to my knowledge. That would be ideal. It may be that I could be a "manufacturer" at home. I can sell one .22 suppressor each year. I've got a reasonable metal shop in my basement....

May I suggest "Goodhair Can Company" for your suppressor company?

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City

couple years ago I was calling around trying to see about getting some serial numbers on 80's and I did find places that could do it that were not gun related stores. I figured if getting number I should just have it meet ATF regs just in case and they could do that. Some would not do it if was already cut, because then it is firearm. but right now I bet you could get trophy shop to do uncut 80. But that will likely change with new regs. Although how is trophy shop going to know that an uncut 80 is now a firearm?? Hell, a lot of gun owners will have no idea. Not like they send out something to every person that ever filled out 4473. ignorance is no defense, but seems crazy they make people criminals and don't even inform them of law changes. If it weren't for this forum, many would have no idea.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    The way I understand it is you can make pieces but the assembly would need to take place at the shop. That was from a conversation with an agent when I first started. I seldom mess with making anymore. Thompson is next on the list though. Can’t wait. Going to the open house in a couple weeks to suck up on some knowledge.
    Let me add with all the new verbiage coming soon I’d wait to see it before I did anything. Like I said they seem to be towards making it easier to get the engraving done.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    SB387 was special ordered to be considered tomorrow.

Hmmm. Special ordered twice. That implies they're not simply removing the Senate amendments to placate the House ideologues, but are actually having to think. I still have little doubt they'll pass something called a Ghost Gun Bill, but maybe what results will have a little better connection to reality than the execrable House draft.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    @Doctor T. Have you spoken to The Devil Himself? I'm sure he'd support a Duffer like yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom