SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patattack88

Jan 9, 2020
    Westminster
    I believe it will take a 7 ffl and maryland state handgun license. Every ffl that fits the bill that I have contacted has said they aren't going to do it. It was discussed in detail on a Maryland 2A Zoom meeting that along with the security bill which could put long term liability to the ffl makes it prohibited.

Would have been nice to have them come testify and say that to them.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Would have been nice to have them come testify and say that to them.
    Would have been nice to have quite a few more people testify on this bill. Part of my oral testimony was the idea that outing ourselves as homebuilders has effectively nerfed our side's attendance this year.

We need to motivate our communities to communicate more with the Senate. I've tried getting everyone I know involved. It's really sad - I can get my liberal sister who doesn't even own guns to write testimony, but people I've met in real life who own these things aren't involved at all.

We also need to get more testimonies in that will actually be listened to. One of the guys on our side was effectively yelling at the Senators...

bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    The Proposed Amendment Serial Numbering Scheme

6 A. THE ZIP CODE OF THE CURRENT LEGAL OWNER OR
    7 PERSON THAT MADE, COMPLETED, OR INITIALLY ASSEMBLED THE FIREARM;
    8 B. THE INITIALS OF THE CURRENT LEGAL OWNER OR
    9 PERSON THAT MADE, COMPLETED, OR INITIALLY ASSEMBLED THE FIREARM; AND
    10 C. A NUMBER THAT DOES NOT MATCH A NUMBER USED
    11 BY THE CURRENT LEGAL OWNER ON ANOTHER FIREARM OR BY THE PERSON WHO
    12 MADE, COMPLETED, OR INITIALLY ASSEMBLED THE FIREARM ON ANY OTHER
    13 FIREARM THAT THE PERSON HAS MADE, COMPLETED, OR INITIALLY ASSEMBLED;
    14 AND

1.) So John Smith and James Sampson both live in Bel Air, MD 21015 Zip Code.

2.) They both the each have 4 80% receivers they want to make compliant

3.) They both have initials of "JS" their Zip Code is 21015

4.) The "Serial Number" cannot contain another number in the zip code.......This eliminates "0" "1" "2" "5"

5.) John Smith gets his 80% receivers engraved 1st. His 4 "Serial Numbers" are 21015JS3, 21015JS4, 21015JS6 and 21015JS7.

6.) James Sampson waits weeks and finally decides to get his "Serial Numbers" engraved.......based on the law as written he could only use 21015JS8 and 21015JS9 as the law say NUMBER NOT USED not NUMBERS NOT USED

Can James Sampson get his other 2 80% Serialized because the "Serial Numbers" appear to have been used up based on the law?

This assumes they both used the same engraver two separate FFL engravers could actually engrave the same "Serial Number" each not knowing the other had already used the same number........

What a CF!!!!!!!!

This has all the makings of disaster waiting to happen and innocent people trying to comply getting screwed.

Last edited:

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    The Proposed Amendment Serial Numbering Scheme

6 A. THE ZIP CODE OF THE CURRENT LEGAL OWNER OR

7 PERSON THAT MADE, COMPLETED, OR INITIALLY ASSEMBLED THE FIREARM;

8 B. THE INITIALS OF THE CURRENT LEGAL OWNER OR

9 PERSON THAT MADE, COMPLETED, OR INITIALLY ASSEMBLED THE FIREARM; AND

10 C. A NUMBER THAT DOES NOT MATCH A NUMBER USED

11 BY THE CURRENT LEGAL OWNER ON ANOTHER FIREARM OR BY THE PERSON WHO

12 MADE, COMPLETED, OR INITIALLY ASSEMBLED THE FIREARM ON ANY OTHER

13 FIREARM THAT THE PERSON HAS MADE, COMPLETED, OR INITIALLY ASSEMBLED;

14 AND

1.) So John Smith and James Sampson both live in Bel Air, MD 21015 Zip Code.

2.) They both the each have 4 80% receivers they want to make compliant

3.) They both have initials of "JS" their Zip Code is 21015

4.) The "Serial Number" cannot contain another number in the zip code.......This eliminates "0" "1" "2" "5"

5.) John Smith gets his 80% receivers engraved 1st. His 4 "Serial Numbers" are 21015JS3, 21015JS4, 21015JS6 and 21015JS7.

6.) James Sampson waits weeks and finally decides to get is "Serial Numbers" engraved.......based on the law as written he could only use 21015JS8 and 21015JS9 as the law say NUMBER NOT USED not NUMBERS NOT USED

This assumes they both used the same engraver two separate FFL engravers could actually engrave the same "Serial Number" each not knowing the other had already used the same number........

What a CF!!!!!!!!

This has all the makings of disaster waiting to happen and innocent people trying to comply getting screwed.
    Whatever version of the bill that comes out, if the person charged with failing to comply was obviously attempting to follow the above scheme, wouldn't "mens rea" protect them?

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Whatever version of the bill that comes out, if the person charged with failing to comply was obviously attempting to follow the above scheme, wouldn't "mens rea" protect them?

Friend, you have way to much faith in a prosecutor and/or judge. Once upon a time I would have said probably in the rural areas, but some of the newer judges on the bench are as likely to Frosh someone as a judge in the City.

Never, and I mean never, rely on "prosecutorial discretion"

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Friend, you have way to much faith in a prosecutor and/or judge. Once upon a time I would have said probably in the rural areas, but some of the newer judges on the bench are as likely to Frosh someone as a judge in the City.

Never, and I mean never, rely on "prosecutorial discretion
    "

AMEN

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019

Never, and I mean never, rely on "prosecutorial discretion"
    Oh of course. By the same logic though, we can be prosecuted for owning any firearm the police don't like that looks "assaulty". That pistol brace looks a lot like a stock...

My understanding of mens rea though, is if there isn't criminal intent, you aren't breaking the law. I'm just wondering how useful that is to us, if it applies here.

You're right though. If they don't fix the glaring issues, I bet MSP will have fun with their end on enforcement...

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Oh of course. By the same logic though, we can be prosecuted for owning any firearm the police don't like that looks "assaulty". That pistol brace looks a lot like a stock...

My understanding of mens rea though, is if there isn't criminal intent, you aren't breaking the law. I'm just wondering how useful that is to us, if it applies here.

You're right though. If they don't fix the glaring issues, I bet MSP will have fun with their end on enforcement...

Mens Rea is useful if the 12 people too dumb to figure out how to get out of jury duty understand the concept.

stricer555

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Jessup
    The whole engraving before registering bit isn't going to work. Guess if you get a lower engraved and the number ends up already taken then it has to be destroyed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom