SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    One version says pre-1968 guns are ok but ignores the guns actually made in 1968, another version gives the exact date in 1968 the GCA became effective.
    The Senate came this close to getting the date right. SB387 was amended to affect guns made from October 22, 1968 onward. That's the day the Gun Control Act was signed, but not the day it became effective. That was December 16, 1968.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    DA? Maybe not. But you'd better believe the MD AG's office would be all over you to make an example of you.

Sorry but if the AG’s office made a habit of it, you would hear stories of it on the local news.
    As much I hate Frosh and his anti-gun policies in every way, shape, and form, he has better things to do than to search out and prosecute cases like this.
    Basically if you get caught doing something else illegal they may add on additional charges.
    Of course they’ll usually drop them later during the plea bargain, especially for repeat offenders.
    Point is that nobody will be kicking down your door unless you’ve done something else to warrant attention from law enforcement. (Obviously there are a few exceptions)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    I've been meaning to look more into this.

Do we know if those ERPOs were done by MSP, or local police? If it's local police in any of the "2A sanctuaries", then the respective county commissioners *should* be holding them accountable...

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Of course they’ll usually drop them later during the plea bargain, especially for repeat offenders.

Not directly to you bird and,

No offense meant and I could be wrong but if one were to apply the “follow the money “theory to this bill there is only one group who may benefit from this law.

Thanks to everyone helping to fight this bill guy.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Do we know if those ERPOs were done by MSP, or local police? If it's local police in any of the "2A sanctuaries", then the respective county commissioners *should* be holding them accountable...

I’d be shocked if MSP served any of them. Every county in MD has served them including “2A sanctuary” counties like Carroll.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

All of them were done by local/county LE, and You bet your ass every "2A Sanctuary County" has done it. You can also bet your ass that absolutely no county official has stepped up and called out LE at all for serving ERPOs. Hell even the "Pro 2A" Sheriffs that "support" us in Annapolis have all had their respective departments serve ERPOs.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sorry but if the AG’s office made a habit of it, you would hear stories of it on the local news.
    As much I hate Frosh and his anti-gun policies in every way, shape, and form, he has better things to do than to search out and prosecute cases like this.
    Basically if you get caught doing something else illegal they may add on additional charges.
    Point is that nobody will be kicking down your door unless you’ve done something else to warrant attention from law enforcement. (Obviously there are a few exceptions)

An ERPO is the most likely scenario where someone might get “caught” and get charges whilst not actually doing anything criminal. Of course it’s possible police might search your vehicle for some made up cause (happens a lot).

But kicking down your? No. Probably don’t want to be taking any non-complying firearms anywhere. And certainly want to stay on excellent terms with any family or in-laws or significant others (or anyone if MDLEG expands who can call an ERPO).

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    An ERPO is the most likely scenario where someone might get “caught” and get charges whilst not actually doing anything criminal. Of course it’s possible police might search your vehicle for some made up cause (happens a lot).

But kicking down your? No. Probably don’t want to be taking any non-complying firearms anywhere. And certainly want to stay on excellent terms with any family or in-laws or significant others (or anyone if MDLEG expands who can call an ERPO).

https://mdcourts.gov/district/ERPO#cannot

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City

Yeah, remember ATF recently had that valentines day ad about turning in your ex for illegal guns. Keep that in mind if you are divorced or split with significant other on bad terms recently or after (if) this goes into effect.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    From the cases I've heard about not without hiring an attorney and spending 10's of thousands of dollars.

I’ve heard mixed things. The easier cases are when the person has had records showing they owned the firearms. Otherwise the police end up being asses and asking for proof sometimes that the guns they took from you are actually yours…

Usually it’s been cases where it’s regulated firearms that predate MSP having records that the firearm was ever transferred to you that they end up acting like cock gobblers about it.

One more reason to try to make sure you have good records about the firearms you own.

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I see that SB387 has a House Judiciary Committee meeting on 3/23. Is this the same as the normal committee hearings - where you can submit testimony about the bill? I don't see it listed in the normal "Witness Signup" section of myMGA.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    From the cases I've heard about not without hiring an attorney and spending 10's of thousands of dollars.

From ERPO’s? Or are you talking about other instances where police have taken guns from a home?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I see that SB387 has a House Judiciary Committee meeting on 3/23. Is this the same as the normal committee hearings - where you can submit testimony about the bill? I don't see it listed in the normal "Witness Signup" section of myMGA.

No. It's where the sponsor of the bill from the opposite chamber briefs them on their version. Under normal circumstances, the public could attend these in person. They normally qualify the briefing as "Sponsor-only Testimony", which does limit who can testify. However, this does not prevent you from contacting and/or meeting with members of Judiciary outside of the hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom