SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    As a younger, less experienced man I would be unsure of my own judgement of what an unlawful order might be.

As an older, more experienced person who has read and studied more, I feel on more solid ground in refusing to obey unconstitutional laws and orders.
    I'm right there with you, but I don't have time, money nor inclination to be the test case.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    OMG, first result on Google. Mods need to seriously delete the thread before MGA figures out the AS007 completely bypasses the ghost gun ban.

You are making a huge assumption in thinking the delegates know how to use Google.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    And what is going to happen is/when a federal judge strikes down this new reg from the the ATF and this ends up in the courts for years? Meanwhile all the Md home builds aren't serialized by 3/23 because the reg DIDN'T change in June...

That sounds like a good reason to veto this law.

That sounds like a good reason to veto this law.

I'm sure that the leftists see our inability to comply as a point in their favor..Unfortunately for them the fail safe is already in place..Worse case I have to replace all of my home build lowers with stripped and my poly80 frames with serialized frames..I still get to keep my guns..

Nice try though..

P.S....if I have to go through this route my completed 80%s will be going into a box to be delivered to the corner of North Ave and Monroe St. AND the $$ I have to spend on the replacement parts will come directly out of my state income tax funds...

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    A friend of mine with far more experience in this than I have, predicts "massive noncompliance."

As a military man, I'm a rule follower. This is really pushing my boundaries though.

I fully intend to comply if this becomes law...

By leaving the state of Maryland permanently. This is just speeding up my departure. I am already shopping for real estate and I have told my wife I want residency in another state by the time this goes into effect.

The GA doesn't respect my rights and since the HQL debacle has made it clear this is just hatred of law-abiding citizens. They will never stop. The HQL did nothing and they just moved on to the next infringement.

So I'm done. I fully intend to deny those who won't just leave well enough alone of my tax dollars in retirement and my presence. Nothing can keep me in this state now short of repeal of the HQL, vetoing of this bill and "Shall Issue/Constitutional Carry". I am voting with my feet. This is the last year Maryland will get enough my (considerable) tax dollars.

I admire those who consider this place their home and I wish them well in their fight. But understand the GA does not respect or even care about you. You're a gravy train to them and subjects to be abused. I have no attachments to this state. I wasn't even born in this country. Home is where I choose to make it. So Florida is getting my income and tax dollars in the future. Yes it has its own gun rights issues but nowhere the horror show this place is.

I concluded years ago that the only way Maryland will come into respecting the 2nd Amendment is by a combination of court losses (not yet) and/or a change in government (which won't happen due to gerrymandering and solid Blue constituencies in the major population centers). I could wait 20 years to get a semblance of my rights back just to status quo ante pre-2013 and let alone to respecting them. I don't want to wait until my elder years to enjoy my rights. So I'm gone in the next 12 months.

Matt

K3LAG

By leaving the state of Maryland permanently. This is just speeding up my departure. I am already shopping for real estate and I have told my wife I want residency in another state by the time this goes into effect.

Me too. I've been trying to find a place that suits us for 18 months and the real estate market stinks for buyers right now. If I'm not out of here before this takes effect my effected items will go to temporary storage out of state.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

The GA doesn't respect my rights and since the HQL debacle has made it clear this is just hatred of law-abiding citizens. They will never stop. The HQL did nothing and they just moved on to the next infringement.

So I'm done. I fully intend to deny those who won't just leave well enough alone of my tax dollars in retirement and my presence. Nothing can keep me in this state now short of repeal of the HQL, vetoing of this bill and "Shall Issue/Constitutional Carry". I am voting with my feet. This is the last year Maryland will get enough my (considerable) tax dollars.

I admire those who consider this place their home and I wish them well in their fight. But understand the GA does not respect or even care about you. You're a gravy train to them and subjects to be abused. I have no attachments to this state. I wasn't even born in this country. Home is where I choose to make it. So Florida is getting my income and tax dollars in the future. Yes it has its own gun rights issues but nowhere the horror show this place is.

I concluded years ago that the only way Maryland will come into respecting the 2nd Amendment is by a combination of court losses (not yet) and/or a change in government (which won't happen due to gerrymandering and solid Blue constituencies in the major population centers). I could wait 20 years to get a semblance of my rights back just to status quo ante pre-2013 and let alone to respecting them. I don't want to wait until my elder years to enjoy my rights. So I'm gone in the next 12 months.

Matt

Thats the way to roll. Dont talk about it, do it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This is an old quote from DC-W - but can anyone put in English for me why Larry has 30 days to veto and not 6 days?

A clear reading seems to say we are greater than 6 days away from adjournment, so we should only have 6 days to veto. But I'm no legal scholar here...

Not a clear reading since the relevant portion of the Constitution clearly states "(c) Any Bill presented to the Governor within six days (Sundays excepted), prior to adjournment of any session of the General Assembly, or after such adjournment, shall become law without the Governor's signature unless it is vetoed by the Governor within 30 days after its presentment."

That clearly says the Governor has 30 days to veto ANY bill, if the veto happens with one day left in the legislative session then the legislature can over ride his veto in the sam session. This is why we always shoot to extend the approval of bad bills until after the 60th physical day of the legislative session, so that if he vetoes said bill, the legislature cannot over ride it until the next session.

Caveat being that a veto made after the last session of the political term, cannot be over ridden during the first session of the new legislative term.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My interpretation of that is that it becomes law after 6 days if left unsigned, but he has a remaining 24 days to pull the rug out from under it with a veto. I'm clearly no constitutional scholar though, so any thoughts I have on it are just that - my thoughts - and should be taken with a lump of salt.

You are correct.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    How does this effect home made firearms that already have a serial number on a part? For instance, most AKs built from flats have surplus trunnions that are already serialized.

Still an illegal firearm under this law.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Again, I ask the question:

If you own an unserialized (homemade) firearm, who is an "authorized" serializer? MSP? FFL? Self?
    If Self, do you need to report the serial number to anyone?

Again, I answer the question.

FFL is the ONLY authorized entity to serialize a home made firearm.

Yes, it has to be registered with MSP on a 77R.

ETA: The link posted above makes it seem as if forfeiture to authorities is the only legal option. Is there no option in the law to serialize the firearm?

See my reply above and my previous reply about 20 pages back.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    No offense but I'm not sure what planet you're living on.

The legislature has a veto-proof supermajority. The veto-hammer is not unstoppable. Second, Hogan is in his final term and it's nearing the end. There is no "momentum" or haunting him. He doesn't care. Hogan is trying to move on to the national political arena.

Bwahahahahahaha, not in the last session of a political term, per the Maryland Constitution.

If the Governor should chose to veto any bill at this point (not just this one), the legislature CANNOT take up a veto in the next regular legislative session, because it would be the first legislative session of a new political term.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The way I'm reading Maryland's Constitution, Hogan has a week to veto, which will give the legislature plenty of time to override the bill on this term.

How do you get to 30 days? Am I missing something?

The Maryland Constitution specifically says that the Governor has 30 days to veto a bill.

Maryland Constitution Article II Sec 17(c) said:
    (c) Any Bill presented to the Governor within six days (Sundays excepted), prior to adjournment of any session of the General Assembly, or after such adjournment, shall become law without the Governor's signature unless it is vetoed by the Governor within 30 days after its presentment.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    No. You’re absolutely right. I erred and regret it.

You are right, he is wrong. Per the Maryland Constitution, a bill becomes law after 6 days if not signed, UNLESS the Governor vetoes it within 30 days.

The Governor has 30 days to veto a bill per the Maryland Constitution (Article II, Sec17(c))

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom