SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    It seems very clear that only unfinished frames and receivers that are sold with all parts required to make a firearm go "boom" are impacted by this regulation change.

This means that people in PA, WV, and VA will be able to buy 80% receivers after these regulations take effect.

I'm so glad that Maryland's legislators have worked to fix the "ghost gun loophole" in a manner that will absolutely impact crime in this state. Property in WV and OH is really starting to look really, really nice.

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    I haven’t read all 112 pages here, but can I get a summary of what the MD bill says? I guess Hogan let it fly.. I understand the ATF is making their own announcement today ….

As of June 1 2022 we can no longer buy, or sell 80 lowers in the state.

By March 1 2023 we need some unknown entity to do some unknown engraving and then it has to be registered?

I’ve been trying to follow this but the site was down this weekend etc…

I may have a box of poly and aluminum blocks that are about to get gifted out of state. Thanks

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Holy hell is the new federal rule a Charlie Fox. Got to the end and saw Garland's signature and boy oh boy am I glad that sack of turds didn't make it on to the Court.
    I'm going to have to take some time to read down through it to see if I can figure out just what in the heck it actually says.

Cwarnick

Oct 16, 2020
    looks like the only 80 / privately made firearms need to be serialized when sold through an ffl.
    I'm not sure this is as bad of a ban as we thought. just some clarifying of terms for split frames, and suppressor housings to avoid further lawsuits or court cases having to deal with lowers not being complete firearms in the lawyers eyes trying to get cases dismissed.

I'm still searching for official laymen's terms for these rules and how they will actually affect us.

I'm personally more worried over Hogan and MD, than Biden. We seemed to get the shaft harder from our own state.

but any infringement is just that.

Cwarnick

Oct 16, 2020
    It seems very clear that only unfinished frames and receivers that are sold with all parts required to make a firearm go "boom" are impacted by this regulation change.

This means that people in PA, WV, and VA will be able to buy 80% receivers after these regulations take effect.

I'm so glad that Maryland's legislators have worked to fix the "ghost gun loophole" in a manner that will absolutely impact crime in this state. Property in WV and OH is really starting to look really, really nice.
    what i dont get is the clarity of "unfinished" does this apply to p80 needing holes drilled, or billet lowers needing fcg cavity milled?

does buying an ar15 kit with an 80 lower now constitute a firearm purchase? the buy build shoot kits from p80 were "80%" as well....just included the rest of parts packaged together.

JRisBundyboyz

Nov 23, 2007
    Bel Air
    saw this thought I’d reshare

BREAKING NEWS: Seventy-Two Killed Resisting Gun Confiscation In Maryland.

National Guard units seeking to confiscate a cache of recently banned assault weapons were ambushed by elements of a Para-military extremist faction. Military and law enforcement sources estimate that 72 were killed and more than 200 injured before government forces were compelled to withdraw.

Speaking after the clash, Massachusetts Governor Thomas Gage declared that the extremist faction, which was made up of local citizens, has links to the radical right-wing tax protest movement.

Gage blamed the extremists for recent incidents of vandalism directed against internal revenue offices. The governor, who described the group’s organizers as “criminals,” issued an executive order authorizing the summary arrest of any individual who has interfered with the government’s efforts to secure law and order.

The military raid on the extremist arsenal followed wide-spread refusal by the local citizenry to turn over recently outlawed assault weapons.

Gage issued a ban on military-style assault weapons and ammunition earlier in the week. This decision followed a meeting in early this month between government and military leaders at which the governor authorized the forcible confiscation of illegal arms.

One government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, pointed out that “none of these people would have been killed had the extremists obeyed the law and turned over their weapons voluntarily.”

Government troops initially succeeded in confiscating a large supply of outlawed weapons and ammunition. However, troops attempting to seize arms and ammunition in Lexington met with resistance from heavily-armed extremists who had been tipped off regarding the government’s plans.

During a tense standoff in the Lexington town park, National Guard Colonel Francis Smith, commander of the government operation, ordered the armed group to surrender and return to their homes. The impasse was broken by a single shot, which was reportedly fired by one of the right-wing extremists.

Eight civilians were killed in the ensuing exchange.

Ironically, the local citizenry blamed government forces rather than the extremists for the civilian deaths. Before order could be restored, armed citizens from surrounding areas had descended upon the guard units. Colonel Smith, finding his forces over matched by the armed mob, ordered a retreat.

Governor Gage has called upon citizens to support the state/national joint task force in its effort to restore law and order. The governor also demanded the surrender of those responsible for planning and leading the attack against the government troops.

Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and John Hancock, who have been identified as “ringleaders” of the extremist faction, remain at large.

And this fellow Americans, is how the American Revolution began, April 20, 1775.

History. Study it, or repeat it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks for the refresher! I like to point out that gun confiscation started the “first” revolution. It makes antis…uncomfortable.

Rclendaniel

Apr 11, 2022
    Abingdon, Maryland
    Ive been printing my own hand gun frames and if I understand correctly, the ATF rules don't prevent 3d printed frames from being used to make a firearm. The maryland law however, would prevent a printed frame from being used since it can't be properly serialized in metal. Essentially banning all plastic DIY lowers. Is this correct?

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    So what we really need to do is start stock pilling some better arms to face the oppressors. All bets are off as far as staying within the legal conforms of the law.

Cwarnick

Oct 16, 2020
    Ive been printing my own hand gun frames and if I understand correctly, the ATF rules don't prevent 3d printed frames from being used to make a firearm. The maryland law however, would prevent a printed frame from being used since it can't be properly serialized in metal. Essentially banning all plastic DIY lowers. Is this correct?

Technically, the undetectable firearms act already covers this. But yes, Serialization of privately made firearms is the new tyranny in Maryland. 80% lowers will need to be registered somehow as well.

I wish the infrastructure for doing this was implemented before the ruling. Because needing serialization without any means to do so is more confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Technically, the undetectable firearms act already covers this. But yes, Serialization of privately made firearms is the new tyranny in Maryland. 80% lowers will need to be registered somehow as well.

I wish the infrastructure for doing this was implemented before the ruling. Because needing serialization without any means to do so is more confusing.

Not only confusing but essentially constitutes a taking if forced to dispose of you property without just compensation.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

The undetectable firearms act considers the entire firearm minus the magazine when viewed through an x-ray or scanned with a magnetometer. A stripped Glock frame wouldn't pass, but the slide and barrel trigger the alarm.

im_mac

Dec 17, 2008
    Bel Air
    If MD follows the ATF marking guidelines and I'm reading things correctly, you can mark your receiver (say F-Frosh01) and then the FFL can choose to use the existing markings and only need to preface it with their license number. So the official registered number becomes 1234567-F-Frosh01.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom