SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    <Snip>

And, the reason you haven't "heard about it", is because this hasn't been a law until now! Up until now, people were asked "What's in the case?" and there was no consequence for possessing or transporting an unserialized firearm.

<Snip>
    You miss the point completely, there are plenty of other laws where "Oh my god, what if I get pulled over on the way to/from the range" has ben used as a point of worry by someone. Every year after a new law as a matter of fact.

My question was not in particular to this law, but in general. How many times has it happened? How many times has a rifle been inspected on a traffic stop to see if it is legal (grandfathered) or banned by date? Or for any other reason someone considered it to be "put it squarely in the "High" category. That gives a person pause."?

It hasn't because it hasn't ben posted here whether a member or not. Every little issue with a firearms related arrest to a lawful firearms owner ends up here on MDS, how many have you seen? I'll give you a hint, it's less than one.

STOP WITH THE BGOS.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Funny, when I lurked here I used to worry about this and having my HBAR calipered either at a gun range or during a pull over. Felt weird to have an hbar that was an hbar in name only because the manufacturer was smart and put those critical words in the marketing.

Now I think that if MDSP or the ATF is investigating you for unserialized firearms, or the police are searching your car, you have a lot bigger problems than a few unserialized 79.965% receivers. Used to be they could search you on the smell of weed, but now they can't even do that.

I am not suggesting people choose civil disobedience, but if they do, they only way anyone gets caught in my mind is if you they are caught doing something else (or use it in self defense). I forecast all drug dealers in this state will choose civil disobedience, some of them will get caught. If people in a gun forum get caught, I feel it will be accompanied by a big press release that they were making and reselling machine guns or suppressors or something equally stupid.
    I understand, really I do, that it takes some time to get out of the mindset of "what if the police pull me over?"

Once you get past it, travelling with firearms is really no big deal. How long did it take to get there?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I drive a Lezburu Outback and the cargo area is open to view through the rear windows. I'll reinstall the retractable cargo cover in the cargo area. It's a good "gray man" car. I haven't been pulled over in years.

I guess I won't be driving the HMMWV to the range with a gun case in the open cargo area, while flying my molon labe flag.
    Joking I hope...There are plenty of members here who have any number of firearms/2A related stickers on their vehicles, most like yours with some sort of "attached" cargo area. All have had no issues with transporting firearms to/from the range, or where ever. It just doesn't happen like people think it dos. This isn't TV, this isn't the movies, and very rarely do the police give a rats ass what is in the rifle/pistol case in your vehicle unless that actually happen to be a "gun guy" (less than 5% of LE BTW).

I understand you think it is an issue, and none of us here can help you with your issue, but it just doesn't happen. Please stop with the "what if's" and making this harder than it has to be.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What about unsuspecting out of state residents traveling through Marylandistan?!

This law is absolutely horrible and likely to screw some unsuspecting traveler in the arse!

Wondering how long before they actively seek out builders and attempt confiscation of those scary "ghost guns" that will never be registered by their builder's. Most were built by freedom loving citizens specifically because there is no "paper trail" on them.
    I have two words for you that are in the law and are VERY Important....

Mens Rea

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It's up to the officer what makes them feel unsafe. A gun in a case could very well be that. Multiple lawyers in this thread have said not to depend on discretion of the law. Remember when a FL gunowner was searched in MD for a gun that wasn't even there?

Also, had a fun time trying to figure out what RAS stands for :D
    I can speak to the FL guy, the story was pure ********.

He got pulled over for excessive speed and reckless driving, when he pulled his drivers license out, his FL CCW was behind it and the observant officer saw it and asked if there was a firearm in the vehicle. The driver said no. Officer also smelled marijuana from the vehicle and ordered everyone out. Asked the wife if there was any firearms in the vehicle. She answered "he usually keeps it in the glove box." Search ensued, no marijuana or firearm found, driver issued a citation for excessive speed and unsafe lane change.

Moral of the story? Make sure your SO know exactly what you have and where it is in the vehicle. If the stories are different it raises issues.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You miss the point completely, there are plenty of other laws where "Oh my god, what if I get pulled over on the way to/from the range" has ben used as a point of worry by someone. Every year after a new law as a matter of fact.

My question was not in particular to this law, but in general. How many times has it happened? How many times has a rifle been inspected on a traffic stop to see if it is legal (grandfathered) or banned by date? Or for any other reason someone considered it to be "put it squarely in the "High" category. That gives a person pause."?

It hasn't because it hasn't ben posted here whether a member or not. Every little issue with a firearms related arrest to a lawful firearms owner ends up here on MDS, how many have you seen? I'll give you a hint, it's less than one.

STOP WITH THE BGOS.
    I drive around with a 1911 slide in the door pocket. I’ll get it to a smith eventually. Even if they see THAT, I’m not at all worried.
    Amended to: Am I being detained, or am I free to go? And can I offer you a pack of Chuckles?
    don’t let your krugerrand’s fall out of your pocket. He could kill you.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

STOP WITH THE BGOS.
    Thank you.

BGOS is just ridiculous :omg: hand waving and fretting over what "might happen"... but usually has not. And likely will not.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    As I remember it, the tunnel cops ran his plate and knew he had a ccw from Florida before he was stopped. Florida state reports ccw status to some database that cops can see when running plates. The husband and wife were separated during the stop and a tunnel cop kept aggressively asking the wife where her husband’s gun was.
    Florida does not share the share CCW status with any database that is accessable by any LE agency outside the state of Florida. Much like Maryland does not as well, nor do they tie their CCW to the Drivers license.

The officer that made the stop saw the driver's CCW and asked about it. The wife told the officer something else than the driver did and it went from there.

Moral of the story, either make sure everyone knows where everything is, or keep your mouths shut.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Are there any MD police or permittee’s here that can confirm that police can see you have a carry permit when running your plate. I’ve been told that but I don’t get pulled over much and when I do I’m in a company truck so I have no personal knowledge.
    Thanks
    As a former Deputy Chief of Staff for a State Delegate who asked that very question back when the FL driver was pulled over, the answer is NO.

Is there a database that can be searched if you are pulled over? Yes, but it is completely seperate from the DL database and not tied to it in any way.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    How did this work out for can'tada and asstralia? I remember when their governments were bullying them around quite a bit. But like things in history, HisStory can be re-written. That is why we have the internet instead of printed books. It is easier to change and erase than a shelf of books.

Good times.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia

Seems the Yankee Marshall has some advice for some of yall.

i-dont-like-that-dude-tracy-jordan.gif

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    As a former Deputy Chief of Staff for a State Delegate who asked that very question back when the FL driver was pulled over, the answer is NO.

Is there a database that can be searched if you are pulled over? Yes, but it is completely seperate from the DL database and not tied to it in any way.
    Thanks for making that clear.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Florida does not share the share CCW status with any database that is accessable by any LE agency outside the state of Florida. Much like Maryland does not as well, nor do they tie their CCW to the Drivers license.

The officer that made the stop saw the driver's CCW and asked about it. The wife told the officer something else than the driver did and it went from there.

Moral of the story, either make sure everyone knows where everything is, or keep your mouths shut.
    These links state that Florida does share their concealed carry database, and that is why the stop occurred.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I seem to recall that Canada has access to US gun-ownership records as well; there are stories of tourist vehicles being thoroughly searched for weapons based solely on this sort of information available to their border control officials. Canadian authorities don't like the subjects to have guns, and it carries over to visitors, apparently.

I can't verify the validity of the stories, though. It has been sufficient to keep me out of Canada. Nothing there I need badly enough to undergo that level of interference.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    When I drove into Canada from Alaska in 2016 I had an FFL 03 and did not have the van I was driving searched.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Playing devil's advocate... The police don't need a warrant to search your car, especially if they see a gun in the backseat and "feel unsafe", or if they even suspect you're breaking the law. The trunk of your car is a better prospect at least.

While that’s true, if you’re carrying a cased gun in the backseat, that is not probable cause for a search. Uncased might be a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom