• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Since I won this sweet Savage Axis in 22-250. I need some good, practical, knowledge to go with it. Mostly reloading which I will definitely end up doing, but all, do's, dont's,
    and real world practical knowledge is welcome. What else do I need to know? Anything about the Savage Axis/Weaver combo would be helpful as well.

I read it's essentially a 30-06 necked to .224. (Smol boolit, real fast, lots of energy)
    Most say it shoots like a laser and 300+ yds on small game is no problem.
    Not a horrible(i.e. effective) deer round when "closer in"

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    It is one of my favorite rounds. I do not reload and twist rate has a lot to do with accuracy with a fast moving bullet like a 250. My kimber is a 14" twist and I cant go higher than 55gr. bullets. However, factory PPU Sp's or Hornady varmints shoot great out of my rifle. Very accurate out to 300 yards.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    It is one of my favorite rounds. I do not reload and twist rate has a lot to do with accuracy with a fast moving bullet like a 250. My kimber is a 14" twist and I cant go higher than 55gr. bullets. However, factory PPU Sp's or Hornady varmints shoot great out of my rifle. Very accurate out to 300 yards.
    Thanks for the spurring of thoughts....I hadn't quite gotten into that much detail yet but Savage says it's a 12" twist so I SHOULD be able to get results up to 60gr, but from what I read 55 is the sweet spot for this twist

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I've burned out a couple 22-250 barrels and several 22-250AI barrels. Different twists for different purposes.

For your 12, I'd suggest nosler 55BTip varmint, 55 varmageddon. Also, Sierra 55blitzking and speer 55 TNT.

If you want to shoot deer, the nosler 60gr partition is your jam. The 64BSB works well too but seems harder to find anymore.

General notes on the case: use a datum tool to set up your reloading dies. The case has a significant taper and is a notorious stretcher due to pressures it operates at and the tendency of most people to overwork the brass. I recommend forster bushing neck bump dies in a lot of calibers but this one it is a very strong recommend. If you don't neck turn (I assume you wont), you will need to ask forster to add an expander when you order your die and bushings. If you go for a FL sizer, stick to forster or redding, unless you go custom.

None of my 22-250 or ai tubes really found best performance with a jam. I hit pressure below target velocity that way. I found most of the tangent ogive varmint stuff did best with a jump in the .020 to .060 range. Could easily break 4300fps with 40gr nosler BTips in my 14 twist AI barrels.

I say thus about most rifle.cases but the 22-250 needs to be annealed regularly to maintain consistent neck tension.

If you run into issues, shoot me a PM.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    If my memory is correct:
    Parent cartridge was 300 Savage necked down to 250-3000 (the first cartridge tooted to go 3000 fps) then the 250-3000 was necked down to 22-250, hence the name. In 1964 Browning was the first to chamber a factory rifle in 22-250 while it was still a wildcat cartridge, another first was the first time a factory rifle was available before factory ammo was. Remington began making ammo after saami specs were established. Reloaders could approach 4000 fps with light bullets.
    I had a Sako with a 1-12" twist and shot 63 gr. Sierra and 70 gr. Speer. Most everything shoots good in a 22-250. I shot my first deer with mine, a big fat 8pt.
    Turned it's inerds to jelly.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I've burned out a couple 22-250 barrels and several 22-250AI barrels. Different twists for different purposes.

For your 12, I'd suggest nosler 55BTip varmint, 55 varmageddon. Also, Sierra 55blitzking and speer 55 TNT.

If you want to shoot deer, the nosler 60gr partition is your jam. The 64BSB works well too but seems harder to find anymore.

General notes on the case: use a datum tool to set up your reloading dies. The case has a significant taper and is a notorious stretcher due to pressures it operates at and the tendency of most people to overwork the brass. I recommend forster bushing neck bump dies in a lot of calibers but this one it is a very strong recommend. If you don't neck turn (I assume you wont), you will need to ask forster to add an expander when you order your die and bushings. If you go for a FL sizer, stick to forster or redding, unless you go custom.

None of my 22-250 or ai tubes really found best performance with a jam. I hit pressure below target velocity that way. I found most of the tangent ogive varmint stuff did best with a jump in the .020 to .060 range. Could easily break 4300fps with 40gr nosler BTips in my 14 twist AI barrels.

I say thus about most rifle.cases but the 22-250 needs to be annealed regularly to maintain consistent neck tension.

If you run into issues, shoot me a PM.
    WOW, a lot to learn and absorb in this one...Thanks for the info.

I have read that the Neck angle on the Rem is a bit unique but important.

So, from what I gathered initially, the datum tool will allow me to keep close watch on that angle changing and then use the bump die to bring it back to spec. I do like FL sizers, so I will look more at those two sets.

I've never had to anneal in the past so this is definitely something to add to my research.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    My son in law uses a Sako 22-250 for his crop tags.
    My oldest lad is on his permit and uses a 270 and he reports the 22-250 is a better choice at range because of efficiency for humane kills and a greater danger zone.
    The youngest lad, used one on a youth hunt one year and dropped a big buck in his toenails at 20o yds or so like it wasn’t nothing.
    They’ll kill deer quite well based on what I learned.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    WOW, a lot to learn and absorb in this one...Thanks for the info.

I have read that the Neck angle on the Rem is a bit unique but important.

So, from what I gathered initially, the datum tool will allow me to keep close watch on that angle changing and then use the bump die to bring it back to spec. I do like FL sizers, so I will look more at those two sets.

I've never had to anneal in the past so this is definitely something to add to my research.
    The neck is not angled. The shoulder is. On the 22-250, it is 28degrees IIRC. While that isn't the "normal" of 20 or 30 for most modern cases, it's not a cause for concern. The issue is the body taper (from case head to BSJ). The shoulder angle should not be changed by the die. The die (unless defective) should be pretty close.to the chamber. It will move forward every time the case is fired and backward every time the case is sized. Minimizing this delta L will significantly extend case life. I suggest a .0015 to .0020 "bump". That's all you need for easy bolt effort, especially if you are using FL sizers.

Keep in mind that my case prep is a little different from what you will be doing (mainly because I neck turn and thus set my neck tension externally with a bushing only, no expander) but I will tell you that I do load testing using cases that have been fired ten plus times and have faith in my results. I anneal anything I care about every cycle.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    The neck is not angled. The shoulder is. On the 22-250, it is 28degrees IIRC. While that isn't the "normal" of 20 or 30 for most modern cases, it's not a cause for concern. The issue is the body taper (from case head to BSJ). The shoulder angle should not be changed by the die. The die (unless defective) should be pretty close.to the chamber. It will move forward every time the case is fired and backward every time the case is sized. Minimizing this delta L will significantly extend case life. I suggest a .0015 to .0020 "bump". That's all you need for easy bolt effort, especially if you are using FL sizers.

Keep in mind that my case prep is a little different from what you will be doing (mainly because I neck turn and thus set my neck tension externally with a bushing only, no expander) but I will tell you that I do load testing using cases that have been fired ten plus times and have faith in my results. I anneal anything I care about every cycle.
    Got it...thanks....when I get closer to potting pieces together to reload, I'll be sure to reach out with questions....Much appreciated

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It's my understand that the 22-250 is generally considered the king of varmint cartridges, particularly out in the Midwest where prairie dogs are abundant. To me it looks more like a fat 223, albeit a bit longer. If you look down the line, the 270 Rem is basically a necked down 30-06, and it's significantly smaller than the 270.

mange-patroner.jpg

I think prairie dog shooters like it because it's fast and flat, and packs a punch. A favorite bullet of a lot of Midwest varminters for 22-250 (based solely on what I've read) is the 52 gr Hornady VMax, although a lot of guys like the 50, and some guys really like the 40. My Hornady manual lists a bunch of loadings for 40 gr that are ripping along at 4,000 fps, and a few loadings that push 4,100 fps.

When I was building my varmint gun in 223, initially I was going to build it in 22-250, but the costs for building a good brass/ammo supply were pretty prohibitive, so I went with 223 - 5.56 brass is EVERYWHERE, and 223 is relatively easy to load. Part of me still wishes I'd have stuck with my original choice though because 22-250 is a favorite among discerning varminters, simply due to the performance.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    It's my understand that the 22-250 is generally considered the king of varmint cartridges, particularly out in the Midwest where prairie dogs are abundant. To me it looks more like a fat 223, albeit a bit longer. If you look down the line, the 270 Rem is basically a necked down 30-06, and it's significantly smaller than the 270.

mange-patroner.jpg

I think prairie dog shooters like it because it's fast and flat, and packs a punch. A favorite bullet of a lot of Midwest varminters for 22-250 (based solely on what I've read) is the 52 gr Hornady VMax, although a lot of guys like the 50, and some guys really like the 40. My Hornady manual lists a bunch of loadings for 40 gr that are ripping along at 4,000 fps, and a few loadings that push 4,100 fps.

When I was building my varmint gun in 223, initially I was going to build it in 22-250, but the costs for building a good brass/ammo supply were pretty prohibitive, so I went with 223 - 5.56 brass is EVERYWHERE, and 223 is relatively easy to load. Part of me still wishes I'd have stuck with my original choice though because 22-250 is a favorite among discerning varminters, simply due to the performance.
    Fortunately for you, you can simply buy a bolt.head and a barrel to scratch that itch. You can even do that jib on the tailgate of a truck in a Dogtown. Isn't it nice owning custom rifles? I suggest the 22-250ai for you, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom