• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Fortunately for you, you can simply buy a bolt.head and a barrel to scratch that itch. You can even do that jib on the tailgate of a truck in a Dogtown. Isn't it nice owning custom rifles? I suggest the 22-250ai for you, though.
    I'm sick and twisted enough that I might be inclined to do a full build on a whole new rifle though. :lol2:

Currently I'm into shotguns and shooting trap, although I'm going on the winter camping trip to WVa this weekend, and I'll no doubt be king of the Tannerite again. :D

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm sick and twisted enough that I might be inclined to do a full build on a whole new rifle though. :lol2:

Currently I'm into shotguns and shooting trap, although I'm going on the winter camping trip to WVa this weekend, and I'll no doubt be king of the Tannerite again. :D
    I will NEVER tell you not to build another rig.

My goal this summer at our FTC, I mean Independence day, shoot is to be king of the IR glowsticks and tannerite.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I will NEVER tell you not to build another rig.

My goal this summer at our FTC, I mean Independence day, shoot is to be king of the IR glowsticks and tannerite.
    I'll think your competition will be a bit stiffer than mine. Of the guys I'm going camping with, no one else has a rig that can touch mine. They are all factory rifles with standard hunting scopes, and they just aren't set up for the kind of accuracy mine is. Last winter I literally did not miss, but the furthest we could get the Tannerite was about 225 yards.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'll think your competition will be a bit stiffer than mine. Of the guys I'm going camping with, no one else has a rig that can touch mine. They are all factory rifles with standard hunting scopes, and they just aren't set up for the kind of accuracy mine is. Last winter I literally did not miss, but the furthest we could get the Tannerite was about 225 yards.
    Guess I better not join you and try to challenge with my Knight .45 cal MuzzleLoader with a VariX2 scope on it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'll be shooting it with an m4. The rules are full dark this year. No vis light.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    H380 was specifically named for the 22-250. 38.0 grains of the stuff and a 52 grain bullet gave a phenomenal group. So the hogdon guy appropriately named the powder H380. If you reload, that’s a good powder to look at. Like others have said, I’ve had good luck with Varget too.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    As other have stated, the .22-250 is an excellent short to medium range varminter. With 53-55gr. varmint bullets, deadly on groundhogs and devastating on p-dogs (pink mist). I eventually went to the .22-250 Ackley Improved (AI) to extend case life. (Won a 600 yard match with one many decades ago . . .) But, IMHO the 22BR is a better cartridge, more inherent precision, with longer case and barrel life.
    I remember talking to a guy who said he hunted deer with his .22-250. When I commented that it was a rather small cartridge for deer he replied "I shoot them in the FACE!".

PS - Varget!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Are you thinking of the .22 Savage/Hi-Power? A .22-250 takes .224" bullets.

Consider yourself schooled. :D
    No, I was thinking of a simple mathematical subtraction problem, 22 minus 250 equals negative 228. Just some (attempted) funny to add to the thread, zero to do with any rifles.

Schooling always appreciated though, especially rifle schooling.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Like the 22-250 and the 220 Swift
    Remington 700 for the 22-250, Ruger old tang M77-V for the Swift, both like Sierra 52gr HPBT, 55gr HPBT, some Bergers in the same weight range, lighter jacketed projectiles give some amazing results if they still together at those high speeds. 50gr Blitz , gotta slow em down some. Heavier bullet weights haven't bothered to try
    Powder wise its IMR-4064, CCI-200 primers
    -Rock

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Pre64 said for history , and what 4g64 said for handloading details .

Oversimplified overview -

Fastest semi- practical .22 cal ctg .

Popular for really long range Prarie Dogs . Semi- popular in Texas for deer .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Like the 22-250 and the 220 Swift
    Remington 700 for the 22-250, Ruger old tang M77-V for the Swift, both like Sierra 52gr HPBT, 55gr HPBT, some Bergers in the same weight range, lighter jacketed projectiles give some amazing results if they still together at those high speeds. 50gr Blitz , gotta slow em down some. Heavier bullet weights haven't bothered to try
    Powder wise its IMR-4064, CCI-200 primers
    -Rock

Yep! 3600fps is what Sierra claims as "don't exceed" velocity for Blitz. In practice, a tad less I believe. BlitzKing is their bullet if driving them faster than that.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    No, I was thinking of a simple mathematical subtraction problem, 22 minus 250 equals negative 228. Just some (attempted) funny to add to the thread, zero to do with any rifles.

Schooling always appreciated though, especially rifle schooling.
    My apologies Fushigi, I failed to 'get it'. ;)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hey OP let us know how it shoots. I always wanted 22-250 but I have more guns than I have time to shoot them. Besides, I have a Tikka in 223 Rem that's good enough. That being said, I would have gladly taken the 22-250 in the raffle. Congrats.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Made me look things up . And I was surprised to discover that the .250-3000 actually pre- dated the
    300 Savage !

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , the .250 Savage was somewhat based upon the .30-06 .

But more interestingly :

.250 necked up to .30 = .300 Savage .

The .308 was essentially a .300 Savage with a longer neck .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom