• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I would just piece together the items you want and assemble. Best case you find something in in the 70-90% of what you want and you will need to either "live" with or change out the other 10-30%. Every AR I built has come in over price tag wise of what is mass produced but I have what I want and not a ton of extraneous parts. Some extraneous parts are nice for quick replacements if needed but tons of trigger guards, dust covers, pistol grips can take up space. The only things I keep tons of are springs, detentes, and few run of the mill mil-spec triggers, FCG pins.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I would just piece together the items you want and assemble. Best case you find something in in the 70-90% of what you want and you will need to either "live" with or change out the other 10-30%. Every AR I built has come in over price tag wise of what is mass produced but I have what I want and not a ton of extraneous parts. Some extraneous parts are nice for quick replacements if needed but tons of trigger guards, dust covers, pistol grips can take up space. The only things I keep tons of are springs, detentes, and few run of the mill mil-spec triggers, FCG pins.

That's what I'm doing. I've given up on a full kit.

So far, I've accumulated a bunch of the smaller parts (gas tube, springs, pins, detents, swivels). I have an 80% lower and a lower kit to finish it with. Now I'm on the hunt for all the upper parts. Del-Ton has most of it in stock except for the BCG.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I'm going to say something that people may yell at me for it. It is nice to get the best BCG and barrel that money can buy and you can afford. However, the medium grade is good enough for the rest of us civilians. You won't wear it out.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I'm going to say something that people may yell at me for it. It is nice to get the best BCG and barrel that money can buy and you can afford. However, the medium grade is good enough for the rest of us civilians. You won't wear it out.

What do you consider the best vs medium grade? I can get a Microbest BCG at PSA with upgraded springs for $99. I'd day that is a damn good deal.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-custom-full-auto-phosphate-bolt-carrier-group-by-microbest.html

Ballistic Advantage makes a pretty good barrel. And you can have it customized a bit to suit your needs.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-5-56-mid-length-hbar-barrel-modern-series.html

For under $300 that's a great combo.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    What do you consider the best vs medium grade?I can get a Microbest BCG at PSA with upgraded springs for $99. I'd day that is a damn good deal.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-custom-full-auto-phosphate-bolt-carrier-group-by-microbest.html

Ballistic Advantage makes a pretty good barrel. And you can have it customized a bit to suit your needs.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-5-56-mid-length-hbar-barrel-modern-series.html

Damnit I wish I saw this before I bought an Aero Nitride BCG for a spare build I just did. Not thrilled with the fit/finish. That Microbest for $99 sure looks like a good deal.

And yeah, Ballistic Advantage, Stag, or even Rosco barrels are generally good to go. Rosco had a bad run a while back but they've since cleaned up their act and make some great stuff. BA and Stag each make solid mid length 16 inch HBAR's. BA if you want Nitride, Stag if you want Chrome lined. Otherwise they are the same.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Damnit I wish I saw this before I bought an Aero Nitride BCG for a spare build I just did. Not thrilled with the fit/finish. That Microbest for $99 sure looks like a good deal.

And yeah, Ballistic Advantage, Stag, or even Rosco barrels are generally good to go. Rosco had a bad run a while back but they've since cleaned up their act and make some great stuff. BA and Stag each make solid mid length 16 inch HBAR's. BA if you want Nitride, Stag if you want Chrome lined. Otherwise they are the same.

That BCG is a no brainer.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

19smiller

Nov 11, 2021
    I am skeptical just because of the low price on this offer. Smells off shore. Best price i have seen on a stripped upper recently is $50. Still might worth a gamble just sit on ‘til the next ‘craze’ begins.

I wouldn’t expect the best for sure, but does say US made. Is a slick side upper, so a little cheaper that way. Wishful thinking would be that they’re offering them cheap so that some one will buy more while they’re on the site. Only way to know for sure would be to take the gamble. If I was in the market for a budget build I’d try test it out, but being new to Maryland, I just haven’t wanted to build any pistols or HBAR’s (at least yet, I’m sure I’ll get bored soon).

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    See, I didn't know about all these companies and Microbest, the manufacturer. Obviously many of you have built more than one AR and probably have had good and bad experiences so I'm riding your coattails, hoping to avoid the crappy parts. I appreciate it.

Chewmeista

Mar 26, 2021
    Bear Creek Arsenal. I've bought a few uppers over the years with them and they're great. I believe all of their uppers come with BCG and charging handle.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Bear Creek Arsenal. I've bought a few uppers over the years with them and they're great. I believe all of their uppers come with BCG and charging handle.

This is very debatable. BCA is bargain basement stuff.

You can do a lot better for not much more (Aero, Stag, Windham, Rosco, Ballistic Advantage, etc).

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    See, I didn't know about all these companies and Microbest, the manufacturer. Obviously many of you have built more than one AR and probably have had good and bad experiences so I'm riding your coattails, hoping to avoid the crappy parts. I appreciate it.

Feel free to reach out if you have questions. I've experimented with a variety of parts to say if they are a good value or not. Someone mentioned those cheap stripped uppers. I dont see why anyone wouldn't just set up notifications for the BCM blems. At $90 they are a steal and they come with FA and ejection port covers.

I typically accumulate decent parts at reasonable prices until I have enough to build an AR. Takes awhile but in minimizes the ‘buy it for what you find it for prices’.

I do the exact same thing. Some of these sale items get cheaper than the crap parts.

No they aren't. They aren't even mediocre. Every upper I have seen from them needs work.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    What do you consider the best vs medium grade? I can get a Microbest BCG at PSA with upgraded springs for $99. I'd day that is a damn good deal.

Help me out here. The BCG in this link for PSA says "full auto profile."
    That doesn't mean "fully automatic" as in "machine gun" does it?

Also, this is compatible for an ordinary 5.56 AR-15 build right?

I'm looking to purchase this right now and I don't want to pull a boner.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Help me out here. The BCG in this link for PSA says "full auto profile."
    That doesn't mean "fully automatic" as in "machine gun" does it?

Also, this is compatible for an ordinary 5.56 AR-15 build right?

I'm looking to purchase this right now and I don't want to pull a boner.

It can be used in a "full auto" because the profile of the carrier will work in that set up. This doesn't convert anything to a machine gun.

It works in an AR.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...l-auto-semi-auto-only-ar-15-bolt-carrier/amp/

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Ok, thanks. Just trying to stay right with the law...which is confusing and difficult in this state.

It can be confusing to say the least. I imagine some people read that and buy it because they think it will convert the AR. Then they're disappointed when they hit the range and realize that isn't how it works. It's a far more complicated system than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom