• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    There’s an upper in the classifieds that would be a great part of the build.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have a couple of quick questions about uppers:

1. Is an upper with M4 feed ramps compatible with this mid-length barrel: https://www.del-ton.com/DTI-Del-Ton-Inc-AR-15-16-Mid-Length-Pre-Ban-Ba-p/bl1058a.htm
    2. This flat top upper WILL have a way to mount rear sights on it, right? https://www.del-ton.com/AR-15-Upper-p/ur1022.htm

Yes, there are many options for iron sights for flat top receivers

Feed ramps have nothing to do with barrel/gas length. If you bought an AR barrel that didn't have "M4" feed ramps, any handy person with a Dremel could cut(enlarge) the shallower feed ramps to the M4 contours. You just need to make sure that the upper receiver has M4 feed ramps in it. All flat top receivers(with maybe a hand full of exceptions) should have M4 feed ramps in them.

M4 feed ramps occur from the receiver on into the barrel extension. "Standard"(old) ramps are only cut into the barrel extension.

Attachments

• m42.jpg
      m42.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 102

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    You guys generally seem good at identifying quality hardware vs. the junk.

I've been sourcing everything from Del-ton but they have been out of complete BCG's for months. I found this on sale at PSA. Is it good or is it junk?

It's not top of the line, but for the most part, PSA BCG's run fine. I believe they are just rebranded Toolcraft BCG's for the most part. You can expect generally better QC from more expensive brands, but even that is not a hard and fast rule.

My advice - buy it, run it. If it runs, keep it. If this is a rifle that you will be trusting your life to, I'd test it with a decent round count before trusting it in that capacity.

I'd prob want to headspace a bolt to a delton upper. It should be done every time, but especially with the bargain end of the spectrum where QC isn't as consistent in most areas.

Phosphate/ CL carriers are the mil-spec standard. This doesn't inherently make them better than nitride, HOWEVER, many nitride carriers are bored out to the dimensions for the addition of chrome lining, which adds material. This can cause a carrier to be out of spec. Not always the case, but with cheaper BCG's, i tend to err on the side of phosphate/CL carriers and C158 bolts. YMMV and this is purely my opinion.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Yes, there are many options for iron sights for flat top receivers

Feed ramps have nothing to do with barrel/gas length. If you bought an AR barrel that didn't have "M4" feed ramps, any handy person with a Dremel could cut(enlarge) the shallower feed ramps to the M4 contours. You just need to make sure that the upper receiver has M4 feed ramps in it. All flat top receivers(with maybe a hand full of exceptions) should have M4 feed ramps in them.

M4 feed ramps occur from the receiver on into the barrel extension. "Standard"(old) ramps are only cut into the barrel extension.
    this right here!!

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland

That's what I ended up getting.

Here's a question- As a southpaw, I've been catching hot brass in my collar for 20 years. If I buy a leftie upper receiver, are there any other parts that need to be "left handed" in this build? I purchased an ambidextrous charging handle already.

Edit: Nevermind...the BCG needs to be a leftie also and I just ordered a rightie.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's what I ended up getting.

Here's a question- As a southpaw, I've been catching hot brass in my collar for 20 years. If I buy a leftie upper receiver, are there any other parts that need to be "left handed" in this build? I purchased an ambidextrous charging handle already.

Edit: Nevermind...the BCG needs to be a leftie also and I just ordered a rightie.
    If you need to get rid of the 'rightie', I'd be glad to take it off your hands at your cost, depending on how far away you are...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom