• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 20, 2016
    Posted in the Southern Maryland forum, but no bites. I need a smith to help punch out a stubborn retaining pin (shop press needed, tried and failed with hand tools). Any smiths in the Charles Co. area you all can vouch for? Thanks!

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    I have a press in my shop...St. Mary's county. I almost have to do this job just to see the retaining pin in a gun that needs a press to get it out!!! I have been at this for 30 plus years and have yet to see a gun pin that needs a press. Is it that you believe the press has to be used or you are seriously unable to do this with a normal punch and hammer???? Some people get a little funny over guns...example being holes that they believe can only be drilled on a $150,000.00 CNC mill. The machines cost will make it better???? Give me a call to set up a time so you are not driving down here only to miss me...301-994-9461 home/301-904-8334 cell. Try both numbers and leave a message if I don't answer, I will call you back.

Feb 20, 2016
    I have a press in my shop...St. Mary's county. I almost have to do this job just to see the retaining pin in a gun that needs a press to get it out!!! I have been at this for 30 plus years and have yet to see a gun pin that needs a press. Is it that you believe the press has to be used or you are seriously unable to do this with a normal punch and hammer???? Some people get a little funny over guns...example being holes that they believe can only be drilled on a $150,000.00 CNC mill. The machines cost will make it better???? Give me a call to set up a time so you are not driving down here only to miss me...301-994-9461 home/301-904-8334 cell. Try both numbers and leave a message if I don't answer, I will call you back.
    Thanks for taking this on - I've left a message on your home phone.

The gun is a Sig Sauer P938. The pin is tapered and rounded on the ends, so requires a cupped-tip punch. It is installed using a hydraulic press, because the hole in the aluminum frame is slightly smaller than the diameter of the harder steel pin. Many can remove the pin with hand tools, but according to a smith on youtube whose company makes replacement triggers for the P938, some absolutley cannot, and people end up marring the frame in the attempt. Unfortunately, I'm in that boat. After using everything from a hammer and punch to a 600lb-force table clamp, I've done nothing but damage the frame and budge the pin very slightly. So, it's time to get it pressed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom