• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Boils down to :

Keep it yourself indefinitely.

Sell it to/ thru an FFL ( including pawn shop) , either in Maryland or elsewhere.

Turn in to police requesting destruction.

Move out of Maryland to Free America , and sell conforming to the laws of your new home .

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    As the manager of a pawn shop, I can tell you a little something. You never want to sell to a pawn shop. We are interested in making loans, after all, that's where our business and our money comes from. We would much rather give a loan on something than buy something outright. In the long run, we make more money that way. You can sell something once, but you can pawn something over and over again and as long as you pay the interest, it stays in storage in the shop. We're interested in making money constantly, not acquiring something that can be sold once.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You know, sometimes people need some money "right now". Not everyone has the leisurely time to sell something outright and haggle with gun value experts.

Take the gun to the pawn shop, know you'll get 50% of MSRP, get your receipt, go about life and not worry about it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You know, sometimes people need some money "right now". Not everyone has the leisurely time to sell something outright and haggle with gun value experts.

Take the gun to the pawn shop, know you'll get 50% of MSRP, get your receipt, go about life and not worry about it.

Just be aware that if you redeem the gun, that is "buy" it back from the pawn shop, you'll have to go through the whole Form 4473, NICS check, and, for a handgun, the HQL and the 77r.

It might also be said that selling on consignment has its issues too. I think people think that the internal parts of their guns were hewn from sold blocks of gold or something - I've seen some unrealistic consignment prices recently.

Well my guns were made of mithril-metal by the Elves of Rivendell.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC

A perfect example of when to take a gun to a pawn shop.:thumbsup:

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    As the manager of a pawn shop, I can tell you a little something. You never want to sell to a pawn shop. We are interested in making loans, after all, that's where our business and our money comes from. We would much rather give a loan on something than buy something outright. In the long run, we make more money that way. You can sell something once, but you can pawn something over and over again and as long as you pay the interest, it stays in storage in the shop. We're interested in making money constantly, not acquiring something that can be sold once.

Makes sense.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As a practical thing , there are pawnbrokers that are basically a regular gun store that make an occasional pawn , and those that primarily make high interest loans , that sell an occasional gun .

And there are some that make a lot of high interest loans AND sell a good number of guns.

I have bought a number from/through The Bank in Havre de Grace.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Huh . I've never yet seen one that was anywhere close to 50/ 50 . It certainly is theoretically possible . But since forever , I habitually drop into most independent gun selling establishments that I see in my wide ranging travels , I have a large enough personal data base to declare such a thing very uncommon .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hey Joe , what's up with the pricing of non- gun merchandise in pawn shops ? The tagged price of almost everything is massively overpriced .

Are those serious prices , or is it customary to haggle them down by about half ?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Huh . I've never yet seen one that was anywhere close to 50/ 50 . It certainly is theoretically possible . But since forever , I habitually drop into most independent gun selling establishments that I see in my wide ranging travels , I have a large enough personal data base to declare such a thing very uncommon .

There is a pawn shop near where I used to live in Alabama that was probably close to 50/50. You walked in the door and to the left was the jewelry, tools, musical instruments, etcand to the right was the gun counter, new and used. They were great to deal with and had fair prices. I bought my son's first deer rifle from them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

I did not say it was common.

I said it exists. You said there were only two types. There are three.

I agree that most fit into your two categories.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is a pawn shop near where I used to live in Alabama that was probably close to 50/50. You walked in the door and to the left was the jewelry, tools, musical instruments, etcand to the right was the gun counter, new and used. They were great to deal with and had fair prices. I bought my son's first deer rifle from them.

That sounds like The Bank.

When I have been in there, they will have 2 - 3 gun transactions. And 2 - 3 pawn loans. I don't see much non-gun related stuff being sold.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Ok... I think "immediate family member" is defined as a spouse, a parent, a stepparent, a grandparent, a stepgrandparent, an aunt, an uncle, a sibling, a stepsibling, a child, a stepchild, a grandchild, a stepgrandchild, a niece, or a nephew, as related by blood or marriage.

wolf18

Mar 11, 2015
    Western md
    Random question, but thought of this the other day. If selling handgun to a pawn shop, do you have to report it to MSP, or is that done through the resale. I know lost or stolen have to be reported but what about sell to ffl.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Random question, but thought of this the other day. If selling handgun to a pawn shop, do you have to report it to MSP, or is that done through the resale. I know lost or stolen have to be reported but what about sell to ffl.

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom