• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Random question, but thought of this the other day. If selling handgun to a pawn shop, do you have to report it to MSP, or is that done through the resale. I know lost or stolen have to be reported but what about sell to ffl.
    As stated you don't have to report it.
    The MSP has a record of every handgun you have purchased since the law was enacted. When you sell the firearm, it is still in your records as a purchase. They do not remove it. So now, you and the purchaser have it on record as being purchased. I don't know how that works for a trace.
    I did a PIA request a couple years ago. It came back with 60 pages of stuff. There was stuff on there I got rid of YEARS ago.

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I shouldn't have to type this because it's so obvious. For performing background check on purchaser, completing the appropriate paperwork, possibly safely storing the gun until the seven day waiting period has expired, etc etc.
    I don't recall anybody being liable for anything doing face to face sales in the past. Maybe I missed something??

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I don't recall anybody being liable for anything doing face to face sales in the past. Maybe I missed something??
    I sold a SW 629 to a guy I worked with and went shooting with for a few years. This was back when FTF handgun transfers were legal. Fast forward about 5 years. I moved on and lost touch. I get knock on my door at 9 am. It was the ATF and the county police. No they didn't shoot my dog.
    They wanted to know why a HG registered in my name was involved in a homicide. You can imagine the look on my face. I asked what firearm. Once they told me, I knew exactly who I sold it to. I gave them his name and said oh, he was the guy charged. I even produced a receipt. They asked why I sold it to a felon. I told them if I knew he was a felon, I would not have gone shooting with him sold him a firearm. They thanked me and left. I didn't ask them if I could have it back. Didn't want it at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom