Shooting a rifle standing unsupported (rimfire).

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Shooting a rifle in competition while standing unsupported has been kind of a dying art. People who attend these types of matches are telling me that fewer people shoot like this in competition any longer. There is a difficulty finding shooters. Well I am going back into it with a CZ American 457 22LR. I used to shoot like this before so not so new to me.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Biathletes are amazing. I am not at all into cross country skiing but find myself drawn to the biathlon when the Olympics come around.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Pick up hunting. I can’t tell you how many freehand shots I’ve had to take over the years. Good challenge when a deer is running too.

Bonus is that you get some good venison out of it too.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Pick up hunting. I can’t tell you how many freehand shots I’ve had to take over the years. Good challenge when a deer is running too.

I smoked a running stag last year at near two hundred yards.
    My wife and daughter said oh look how it bounces and I was like, "did you see that shot"?
    You'll never very likely see anything like that again. They were pretty unimpressed.
    Anyway, lucky shot.
    I missed way more than I ever killed that's for sure.
    Standing, thats a big boys game, no aids like bi pods and sandbags or even telescopes and slings for some shooting disciplines.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    IMO, the problem w/ most standing competition is they allow those stupid crazy thick jackets. They really aren't free handing it. They are just wearing the tripod. It has no relation to real life hunting / shooting. Make everyone shoot in a t-shirt and the discipline might come back into favor.

Biatheletes are bad-ass. There should be more of that.

fogman

It's air rifle at 10m but in the warmer months we do small bore outside at 50 yards. Two on the left are Sporter shooters. Street clothes and Crosman Challenger air rifle. One on the right is Precision shooter. Shooting jacket, pants, shoes, compression clothing base layer, Feinwerkbau 800x rifle. Standing is where you win the match. 185-11X
    We do have a few indoor small bore matches during the fall and winter. Kneeling, prone and standing(3x20) shot at 50 feet. Usually followed by 60 shots standing air rifle at 10 meter.

Resized_20231104_101825.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

I started shooting before I started hunting. After being interested in Accuracy, I started shooting offhand more once I started hunting. I think I only took one 60 yard offhand shot hunting all the rest were from a stick. That being said, crossbow shots were all offhand and spending time shooting rifles offhand really helped a lot. I do feel that one should spend a lot of time working on their offhand to be proficient at their rifle. After getting a feel a milsurp's POI, I spend 90% of my time shooting them offhand at steel at 100 yards

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Try muzzleloading competition. We shoot offhand...and normally without the support jackets.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Shot across the course. It was like drag racing cars or bikes. Boring. Same.thing every time. And I couldn't stand some of the competitors. Switched to 2gun and various precision rifle games that allow for more variation. Much better.

That said, I tapped an IPSC plate second shot with my AR last Sunday morning. Standing and using only a Vickers 2point sling. No glove, jacket, or proper sling. At 436yds.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Russian coach olympic shooting method. Slow your heartrate down. Amazon or NRA

51KN5BKXESL.jpg
    I am familiar with most approaches to shooting and knew the reputation of this guy in my circles back in the day.
    I was schooled by a Maryland rifle team shooting M1 Garands back in 2006. Me coming out of the Army I thought that I was the bees knees. They taught me a lesson that I haven't forgotten to this day. From then on I have been shooting standing unsupported.
    Jack O'Conner wrote articles on shooting and much can be learned on his style of rifle marksmanship for sure.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    It's air rifle at 10m but in the warmer months we do small bore outside at 50 yards. Standing is where you win the match. 185-11X
    We do have a few indoor small bore matches during the fall and winter. Kneeling, prone and standing(3x20) shot at 50 feet. Usually followed by 60 shots standing air rifle at 10 meter.
    So true. I used to shoot 4 position smallbore and it was the off-hand position that kept me from being truly excellent. I could shoot high 80s-low 90s standing consistently but that doesn’t cut it in higher level matches. Prone, sitting, no problem and I was better than most in kneeling but offhand always put me in my place.

fogman

So true. I used to shoot 4 position smallbore and it was the off-hand position that kept me from being truly excellent. I could shoot high 80s-low 90s standing consistently but that doesn’t cut it in higher level matches. Prone, sitting, no problem and I was better than most in kneeling but offhand always put me in my place.
    It's why they have gone to decimal scoring. 200-20X is no longer good enough to win. Perfect shot is now a 10.9 not just a 10-X

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I started shooting before I started hunting. After being interested in Accuracy, I started shooting offhand more once I started hunting. I think I only took one 60 yard offhand shot hunting all the rest were from a stick. That being said, crossbow shots were all offhand and spending time shooting rifles offhand really helped a lot. I do feel that one should spend a lot of time working on their offhand to be proficient at their rifle. After getting a feel a milsurp's POI, I spend 90% of my time shooting them offhand at steel at 100 yards

Milsurps off hand also beat you up WAY less than from a bench. My sporterized 1903A3 even with the slip on recoil pad has some kick to it for sure. Not noticeable off hand. I mean, sure it recoils, but it is very pleasant off hand. From a bench, you'll still start feeling it after a number of rounds.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    It's why they have gone to decimal scoring. 200-20X is no longer good enough to win. Perfect shot is now a 10.9 not just a 10-X

Interesting, hadn’t heard about that. I haven’t kept up. I guess I’m not surprised though. One state match I was at, a junior rifle team called the Acorns was there. One guy cleaned off hand and kept shooting, going for record. I didn’t see how it turned out but he was at a level well beyond me.

fogman

Acorns are still around. They shoot out of the Izaac Walton League down in Centreville VA. Beautiful facility set up for electronic targets for both 10m air rifle and 50ft small bore. My son and I were down there a few weeks ago for a standing air rifle clinic put on by the Army Marksmanship Unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom