Shooting a rifle standing unsupported (rimfire).

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    In all fairness it was a light boy's rifle that was shooting .22 long. I doubt I could've done as much unsupported shooting with an SMLE trainer.
    You would be surprised, they're easy to manage and give a nice solid hold because of the weight.
    I have a no 2 rifle I use from time to time and the best thing about them, is the ammo.
    The savings in ammo pays for the rifle nearly in a summer of regular shooting vs feeding those other 303 beasties.
    From standing, I think I can make much better hits than with my M2 even at first starting.
    I use a little square scrap steel gong target thats about 8x10 at the 100 yd berm.

Last edited:

Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    Come out for an Appleseed Shoot. 25m rimfire events are a lot of fun. Prone, seated and standing are taught with a sling. Timed AQT targets with a magazine change can be quite humbling.

I'll second this motion. What a fun day and my marksmanship definitely improved. These are open to any age and there were a couple of kids there shooting with their dads making a good memory together while learning a bit about how the American Revolution started. I didn't score well enough on my first time out to earn my rifleman's patch but I did shoot a clean redcoat challenge and earned my Maryland "Morgan's Shingle" patch. I would do this again to attempt the rifleman's patch.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    A friend brought his AK out to the range.

He handed it me, I stood there and aimed unsupported.... he was like "wait you have to rest it on something"

I ignored him and popped off 3 shots that hit a b mod at 200 yards. Not exactly a difficult task with an AK. But he had never seen anyone do that.

I didn't understand then and I don't understand now. Seems like a pretty important thing to be able to do.

there isn't always a 6 foot fence post near you when you have to make a shot NOW

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Its nice to shoot off a bench and it has its place but few are shooting standing unsupported and its pretty cool to smack a 12" target at 100 yards.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Perseverance is key I suppose.
    I shot two strings of 40 22 rimfire standing unsupported. This time the targets were smaller like they are supposed to be. I am making inroads in this discipline. My groups tend to open up at 100 yards but hey Rome wasn't built in a day. A good time all around.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I went down to a shooting club in Suffolk county Virginia and shot two matches at steel targets. I had a blast shooting standing unsupported. Its a safe bet that I didn't win any matches today. The rifle was the new CZ American 457 left handed bolt action with a 2.5 to 7 power Leupold scope. Its fun.
    Are you a lefty?

When I learned to shoot 22lr in my Rifle Class in College, I learned that I was left eye dominant, so I switched to shoot lefty.
    I am ambi at most things, so I had no struggle to pull a trigger lefty.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Are you a lefty?

When I learned to shoot 22lr in my Rifle Class in College, I learned that I was left eye dominant, so I switched to shoot lefty.
    I am ambi at most things, so I had no struggle to pull a trigger lefty.
    Chilipepper I am a lefty and shoot a left handed CZ 457 American 22LR bolt action. My piddly @ss little scope 7 power isn't cutting it. I will go to a higher power. Spoke to a guy on the same range who is shooting a 24 power scope. He says it works for him and that he can hold a target at 24 power. I am not there yet.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Chilipepper I am a lefty and shoot a left handed CZ 457 American 22LR bolt action. My piddly @ss little scope 7 power isn't cutting it. I will go to a higher power. Spoke to a guy on the same range who is shooting a 24 power scope. He says it works for him and that he can hold a target at 24 power. I am not there yet.
    Well, to quote the fishing people. " A bad day fishing, beats a good day at work..."

Glad you have gotten out and know how to hone your skills.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Perseverance is key I suppose.
    I shot two strings of 40 22 rimfire standing unsupported. This time the targets were smaller like they are supposed to be. I am making inroads in this discipline. My groups tend to open up at 100 yards but hey Rome wasn't built in a day. A good time all around.
    What kind of targets are you shooting at? Paper or Metal or both?

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    What kind of targets are you shooting at? Paper or Metal or both?
    Steel targets and they get mighty small. I hit one and spun it 360 but it didn't fall and I couldn't count the hit. There are two sets of sizes. The larger for plinking and the smaller for scoring.
    The rifle is a CZ American 457 22 LR.

Attachments

• Steel range.jpg
      Steel range.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 17
    • CZ 457.jpg
      CZ 457.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 17

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I shot two strings of 40 today. I am basically finding out where I miss and its usually high and usually not by much. I am gradually improving and shooting better but lemme tell you that I have a long way to go.
    Shooting standing unsupported is slowly diminishing as I see fewer people shooting. They still come. The range that I have been shooting at that I found out was just sold with the future of that range uncertain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom