• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Things change once upon a time it was one in a lifetime in a cardboard box and it took a long long time with proven competition experience. Then you could buy more. Then there were cases with every purchase. Then you could buy less. Now fewer and only one case. Eventually there will be none available like M1 Carbines, .22 Target Rifles, 1903 Springfield's, Mann Accuracy Device's, etc.

Get what you can while you can!
    When I got mine in 1990 I was told one only. It came in a nice cardboard box and they broke down the cost on the invoice, about $95 for the rifle, $54 for administrative fees and $16 for shipping. $165 total. Post Office brought it right to my house. I went out to the AGC one Saturday and Sunday for their M1 Clinic to qualify. I think it took about 7-8 months until I finally got it.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    You can't get just one

Attachments

• 20180721_221523.jpg
      20180721_221523.jpg
      230.2 KB · Views: 45

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A fine rifle. If I could only have one, it would be an M-1.
    As much as I love my Garand and Garands in general, I'd go with an M-1 Carbine over an M-1 .30 caliber rifle (Garand).

Though if I needed a "do everything" rifle and only one, the Garand is the way I'd go (because you can't hunt deer in MD with the Carbine).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Shot one when I was 20 and knew I’d have to own one. Wife got me one 10 years later. I haven’t shot it in a very long time. I need to rectify that.
    Truly a great rifle.
    I bought mine for myself from CMP as a 35th birthday present to myself.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I shot my new CMP field grade last week. M1s are an absolute joy to shoot. It's hard to find a single flaw with them.

it's a satisfying rifle to shoot, too bad Springfield doesn't still make them.
    Who needs it? The CMP will ship one to your door, basically factory-new, and cheaper than any modern reproduction would cost.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Lithgow, CAI, and Federal Ordnance as well as Springfield manufacturing all made cast Garand action bodies.
    Lots of them were built up with VAR barrels, GI stocks and various spec parts minus the receiver.
    I don’t know how many survive out in the wild today.
    I suspect most examples have been stripped of their parts to correct other rifles or just forgotten due to dubious manufacturing tolerance deficiencies particularly the firing pin/ bridge and sight serration hardness qualities.
    Op rod tracks not dimensionally sound due to heat treatment etc etc.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Liked it a lot more than I expected. Less recoil than I expected from 30-06 and I figured out the sights real quick. I'm in the fan club now.

Do you have Garand Thumb yet? It generally only happens once.....

:o

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    I love my Garands…collect mostly WW2 Springfields, but my first (back in ‘76) was a welded receiver HRA/Springfield…shoots great.
    Carried one for three years in the USMC-JROTC…went Army after high school, and qualified on an M-14…as much as I love Garands, I’d prefer the 14 to the M1 were I ever to really need one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom