Should IP Always Post Prices on Their Threads?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I've become loyal to two particular IP's for multiple reasons (and bought specialty items from several others) but if I ever get the itch to buy something I call/pm them, I get a price, and they know if I say I'm coming to get it I'm really on my way. It works for me.

That said, I think they should post prices for items when possible but it is their choice no matter how you look at it. IF it becomes a new mds rule, then so be it but more rules aren't always a good thing

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I've become loyal to two particular IP's for multiple reasons (and bought specialty items from several others) but if I ever get the itch to buy something I call/pm them, I get a price, and they know if I say I'm coming to get it I'm really on my way. It works for me.

That said, I think they should post prices for items when possible but it is their choice no matter how you look at it. IF it becomes a new mds rule, then so be it but more rules aren't always a good thing

There's no way it should be a rule.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Its used car salesmen bullcrap is what it is. The MAP pricing excuse is a joke and no one gets their programs revoked for going below MAP, the big chains do it all of the time and they buy direct in bulk.

I refused to play that game when I advertise for Scotts. If I post a freaking product, it will have a price.

Yup.

Dealers should post a product along with a price. "Used Car Dealer" is a good analogy to hidden prices and other tactics.

Typically a firearm retailer sells identical new inventory as company X, Y, and Z. They compete on price, location, and service. Post the price and let the rest speak for itself.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    My personal take, for the IP's out there:

You can choose to put a price next to an advertised item or not, that's your choice.

But:

1. As a consumer, my interest in something is 10x greater when I actually see a price.

2. When I see the words "PM for price", my interest drops to practically nil.

I always assume if no prices are listed, the price is too high. I will keep shopping.

100% agree.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I do the majority of my shopping online, mainly because it saves me the time of having to go to the store to window shop. it also gives me an opportunity to compare products companies in a matter of a couple of minutes. also read about other similar products that are better for my specific application.

that said, most of you (IP's) are a decent drive from my house, often when i am browsing using the phone isn't convinient, so can't always call you. I am also not an impulse buyer, but i do like a good deal. If i am to call you, if i hear the price and its not special enough for me to be interested, i have wasted your time by answering my phone call for, how much is blah... its xxx.xx +tax etc, and im like, eh, not awesome, and i really didn't need that gun, i may make you a counter offer, but honestly that is work, and then if its too low you'll be insulted/think I am a moron who wants you to lose money to sell me a gun, and complain that i want to get it for the absolute best price online...

do you see the cycle? put the price here, if its a good deal, a gun that looks kinda alright turns into a gun that i really would like to add to my collection, if not its just a pretty picture.

if you have a price you have saved yourself at least 5 minutes, just from me bugging you.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I think some firearm dealers got cocky in 2013 when they could name their price and act all smug because they held all the cards. Most of the IPs that I have communicated with have been less than accommodating to say the least. I want to support them; honestly, I do. None are convenient to me so PMs are going to be my method of communication. I'm not driving an hour to do my browsing. Sorry

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I don't think the the IPs should have to post prices, but sometimes it's nice. I've bought stuff over the years from many of the IP's. Like everybody, I like a good deal, but mostly it comes down to service and availability. I will drive an hour to Engage just because they always treat me with friendly service and respect. There are some IPs at will not quote prices over the phone, so chances are I'll make the drive somewhere where I know the price and know the item is in stock. After buying guns and accessories for over 20 years I know a fair amount about firearms. I appreciate a dealer taking the time to explain the features of a firearm or product, but I don't like being treated like a total noob or dirtbag from the street. The good IP's recognize this and treat you accordingly.

denimdan85

Aug 12, 2014
    Hanover, PA
    I never advocate that businesses should be forced by rules and regulations how to run their business. The only driving force should be the free market. If you don't like a dealer not posting prices then do not patronize that dealer. Speak with your wallet.

With that said I do wish more dealers would post prices but I don't believe they should be forced to post prices. Mostly because I have a habit of going to the store to find the price and end up leaving with said item or something else.

Maybe there is something to this not posting prices?

Winterskies

Jan 3, 2015
    They should choose what they post. However, I will say 90% of my purchases outside of food and gas have been online last couple months (I hate cold weather). Amazon and even local department stores with (pick up in store option at checkout). The prices aren't necessarily the lowest but are a good value. I shop online enough and check prices enough to know I've seen items on sale at lower prices but even if it is not on sale and I want it then I know its a good price.

100% of my impulse buys have been due to good prices while i shopped for other things.

My satisfaction with these purchases have been high and these companies get my repeat business over and over.

Being new to Maryland I've visited two local gun stores so far.

Store 1. Good prices on a decent percentage of guns and really good prices on a couple pieces I looked at. I asked if they gave discounts for multiple purchases and they said they would could maybe give me x% depending on guns.

Store 2. Good prices on a few items higher prices on some others compared to store 1. I asked if they gave discounts for multiple purchase. The just didn't seem interested in discussing this. I asked again and seemingly reluctantly they said pick the guns first. I hadn't made up my mind on the 2nd pc so I didn't want to just pick a gun I wasn't interested in to get an out the door price.

I'll look at some more stores but stores like #1 are more likely to get my business.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm with you on this one. I figure that they're to ashamed of the price.

LOL, that is just the opposite of the truth. In the few circumstances where we don't throw a price up front, it is because the sticker is so close to cost or it is below MAP and we don't want to get jammed up with distributors and manufacturers.

Also if it is positively as low as I can go, I don't want other dealers knowing where I am flying.

Sometimes you miss out by assuming the price is high and not looking.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't care if any IP posts a price or not, if it's something that I have to have. I'll make the drive, or make a phone call and try to get more info (and hopefully a price).

Every IP I have been to, has made money off me somehow - even if it wasn't on the item I originally came there for.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Prices can be posted or not, but I'd be happiest with an IP that keeps a well functioning up-to-date website with hours and non-sale price inventory. And if you're going to use your facebook page for advertising, then check your messages at least daily (including the spam/other folder, where non-friend messages go). I just moved and have had nothing but trouble trying to contact several IPs in the area. Nothing makes me give my cash to a competitor faster.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    For the record, I am more interesting in buying something when I see the price. I hate to ask for a price, because after hearing it I may not be interested, and I feel like I am wasting someones time.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    IMNSHO, if an IP posts a particular item (without price) and a member of MDS PMs the IP, this in all actuality is a Private Message.

I've done business with some of the IPs here, and I am VERY pleased with the transactions.

I've PM'd and I've called ONE particular IP, requesting a price, before I make the drive to BUY their wares.

I got a very 'snotty' response from that IP stating that IF I wanted the price, I had to drive to their location.

Oh well. They lost out on a BUNCH of sales.

Now, I don't even consider them.

My vehicles can travel North, as easily as it can go South, or East and West.

Just like the daggone car dealers in Waldorf. They think that the roads don't lead out of Charles County, and everybody will buy from them.
    Sorry car dealers....... it just ain't so!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom