Should You Carry Your Pistol Cocked and Locked?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    That just seems unnecessarily complicated.

Are you at least still disengaging the safety (regardless of its status) every draw as part of your practice?
    I always check the safety on the draw as I bring my thumb to it final position I drag the safety lever.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Chastity trigger guard.

For you filthy animals that can’t keep your fingers off it. :brows:

clipdraw-15.jpg
    This is a clear case of being Glock blocked.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I know it's just a movie...but I can't help but think of this scene:

It may (or may not) be surprising how often otherwise experienced shooters can forget to take of the safety in competition (which, while embarrassing, is less disqualifying than forgetting to put it on ;) ). I know I've caught myself a few times when I switch to a single action auto from a revolver or plastic fantastic. Sure...it usually only takes one reminder...and a second or so wasted on the clock...just a second or so...heck, I might even have been able to rack the action in that second or so :innocent0

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I just carry a bunch of loose rounds in my pocket and load the mag when needed. I have an uplula so it's fast enough.
    I pay a Mall Security Guard with a .300 Win-Mag to provide overwatch for me wherever I go.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

While every SD situation is NOT a quick-draw solution, enough are that we cannot assume there will be time to do anything at all.

Not just this , but have two good hands available . In addition to pure speed , your other hand could be unavailable or compromised . Could have been injured in current ruckus , or your old tennis elbow could be flared up this week already .

Or the other hand could be doing something else important already . Could be carrying an infant , holding hand of toddler , assisting grandma to safety , giving direct pressure to bleeding family member , clutching your life savings in Kruegerands as you bug out , etc . Or just slippery footing , or awkward position , need to hold on for balance .

If he hasn't done so yet in This Thread . the Original 229 , will shortly make another good point .

Sometimes a Sealth draw is needed . As in slow motion , without abrupt movement , or audible sound effects . Condition 3 draws are pretty much all or nothing with distinctive arm movements , and Clack Clack .

******* Yes , yes , there techniques and gadgets to facilitate one handed charging . Yes , more depth of knowledge can often be a good thing , sometimes . Learn and practice them . But keep perspective .

Those are for impressing your gun buddies at the range , or for emergency malfunction clearance after the S has already HTF , and it's 3 feet deep and rising . It's not a good Plan A or even Plan B .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I could have included this in my quasi Fabs length post #96 , but this is worthy of its own post .

You really don't care for Cocked & Locked ? Cool ! Not a problem ! I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise . You have multiple other viable options .

DA/ SA autos , traditional DAO autos , and Revolvers . Any of those instead of an unloaded SAO auto .

But wait you say ? Your philosophical objections are ( just) C&L , but semiautos with round in the chamber generally ? Cool ! Not a problem ! I won't try to change your mind , you have other options to effectively defend yourself .

Revolvers . The Prevailing Standard of Law Enforcement and General Public Defense for 150 years , and just as good now as they ever were . And instant one hand into action , always trumps unloaded semiautos .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

I am really beginning to believe that most people here watch WAY too many bullsh!t action movies and actually believe they will have time to dick around with getting their gun loaded. I am embarrassed for these people and were it not so sad and stupid, it would be funny.

WHY is the good guys chambering a round an over used action/ cop movie trope ? Dramatic visuals for the general public to signal that Now we're Serious , and that something dramatic is about to happen in the next few seconds .

Films where proper weapons handling and tactics are used are rare exceptions . When the director or producer is a person of the gun in real life . And it's mainly for their personal satisfaction , as it will go over the heads of 99% of viewers who either won't notice , or even think it's a mistake , because it's different from what they're expecting from the other 99% of action flicks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom