Should You Carry Your Pistol Cocked and Locked?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I see lots of noob questions. Some legit. Others over the top imo.

Time (experience) will answer much of folks various questions.

There is little substitute for experience. Others might opine this or that but more often than not, there’s some folks must just learn for themselves.

Asking questions is human nature. Getting angry or agitated at the answers is unecessary. But MDS has hundreds of pages and thousands of replies that apparently aren’t intended as constructive. Opining herein is an Olympic sport. Some who opine are even qualified.

I’m glad to see folks ask. I’m always happy to see folks provide good answers.

I only wish that so much of the stuff wasn’t so situational.

“It depends”… is unfortunately the best reasonable answer.

On with the show, this is it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I see lots of noob questions. Some legit. Others over the top imo.

Time (experience) will answer much of folks various questions.

There is little substitute for experience. Others might opine this or that but more often than not, there’s some folks must just learn for themselves.

Asking questions is human nature. Getting angry or agitated at the answers is unecessary. But MDS has hundreds of pages and thousands of replies that apparently aren’t intended as constructive. Opining herein is an Olympic sport. Some who opine are even qualified.

I’m glad to see folks ask. I’m always happy to see folks provide good answers.

I only wish that so much of the stuff wasn’t so situational.

“It depends”… is unfortunately the best reasonable answer.

On with the show, this is it.
    "it depends" on the question, don't it?

Some questions are general, others being pointed. "It depends" is usually the reply to "what if?"

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    What the heck kind of question is this? What kind of maniac carries cocked and unlocked? :eek: You'll shoot your...something out, kid!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There is a fear of an ND for people that carry. I have talked to people who are new to carry as well as people who are considering it. (I don't have a wear and carry permit). I also would be concerned about ND as well. Its human to worry about things going wrong. I fully understand why people are thinking about it and if they use a gun with one in the chamber but a safety on, or one with a hammer that is not locked back.

BTW, in both a combat zone or a non combat zone, what was military protocol for a side arm?

Police used to have straps that they had to unsnap (I think I recall the OC boardwalk summer time officers still do?)

I (I'm sure like many here) prefer the answers here on this forum for this and other questions that explain why or why not with logic, reason, statistics, vs the instant insults.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Chastity trigger guard.

For you filthy animals that can’t keep your fingers off it. :brows:

clipdraw-15.jpg

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    There is a fear of an ND for people that carry. I have talked to people who are new to carry as well as people who are considering it. (I don't have a wear and carry permit). I also would be concerned about ND as well. Its human to worry about things going wrong. I fully understand why people are thinking about it and if they use a gun with one in the chamber but a safety on, or one with a hammer that is not locked back.

BTW, in both a combat zone or a non combat zone, what was military protocol for a side arm?

Police used to have straps that they had to unsnap (I think I recall the OC boardwalk summer time officers still do?)

I (I'm sure like many here) prefer the answers here on this forum for this and other questions that explain why or why not with logic, reason, statistics, vs the instant insults.
    Holster retention devices aren't there to prevent ND's. I don't know of any agency that carries without one in the chamber and the majority of issued weapons don't have manual safeties. Of the agencies that do carry weapons with safeties, most have policies that require the safety to be off. (For good reason.)

Those who are new and concerned need to take the time to work through their apprehensions and develop the habits required to effectively control that weapon in any condition.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

This is something that should be covered in the W&C training. If the state is going to require it, it might as well be worth taking.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Only when driving is my safety on, why you ask because of where I carry on the waist and where my seat belt buckle is they coincide, 1st couple of days of carrying i noticed the gun had safety engaged after a drive in town. So now my hopes is with me consciously engaging the safety when getting in the car and disengaging it after getting out I will have the muscle memory. I know I know ditch the safety all together.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Only when driving is my safety on, why you ask because of where I carry on the waist and where my seat belt buckle is they coincide, 1st couple of days of carrying i noticed the gun had safety engaged after a drive in town. So now my hopes is with me consciously engaging the safety when getting in the car and disengaging it after getting out I will have the muscle memory. I know I know ditch the safety all together.
    Ditch it altogether, or use (and train) with it consistently all the time.
    I'm not Yoda by any means, but this really sounds like a "do, or do not" situation.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Ditch it altogether, or use (and train) with it consistently all the time.
    I'm not Yoda by any means, but this really sounds like a "do, or do not" situation.
    I have system down now when I get out of the car and put my keys in my pocket I can disengage the safety through my over garment.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I have system down now when I get out of the car and put my keys in my pocket I can disengage the safety through my over garment.
    That just seems unnecessarily complicated.

Are you at least still disengaging the safety (regardless of its status) every draw as part of your practice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom