• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Anyone ever built a make-shift bench for say an apartment or small home? My place has no area for a bench and I'm tired of cleaning guns on the floor/unwilling to do it on kitchen table. I don't re-load but thought this forum would have bench-experts on it.

Thought about making something I can fold/unfold when I need it. Before I break out the circular saw, I thought I'd see if anyone has tried before. Thinking 4x3 with legs that pop out so I can work off my couch. Like a TV dinner stand for gun goodness.

I know there was a "show me your bench" thread but don't recall seeing anything like this there.

Bravo757

Stand In The Gap
    Apr 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I have plans for something close to that size but in an old computer - I'll get one of my kids to try and get it out of there and post it when i can

Patriot

Dec 31, 2011
    Harford co.
    I actually use a old folding sewing machine table with a recessed tray in the center for living room gun cleaning and reloading when I dont feel like going downstairs to the real bench. It works great with the tray in the center because it keeps small parts from getting lost if im cleaning guns and if im reloading my press is mounted to a 24" piece of 2x12 so the tray isnt an issue.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    If you want to work off your couch, why not use your coffee table?
    I'm assuming you're a bachelor.

Not a bachelor. I'm relegated to basement for gun related activity due to wife. We just don't have a lot of room in the basement so there is no coffee table.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I used to have a neat reloading set-up in a walk in closet. Built a little bench in there, I could go in and sit in a chair. Shut the door, nothing visible.

This was in an apartment.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I need the same setup. What I have in mind I saw on another forum. B&D Workmate with a sheet, about 3x4 of plywood with a 2x4 screwed down the center to clamp in. Press was mounted to another board, as mentioned above, and then just C-Clamped to the plywood top when used. Stuck in a closet or corner when not needed. Sheet of plywood made for a good work surface for cleaning, etc. Come spring Rite Aid will have a folding table like the HD one for $30, and it folds in 1/2. It's what I use for cleaning guns, just pull up a chair. I bought a 4x6 cheap carpet to put under the table to save my carpeting. I just fold or roll it up when done.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I need the same setup. What I have in mind I saw on another forum. B&D Workmate with a sheet, about 3x4 of plywood with a 2x4 screwed down the center to clamp in. Press was mounted to another board, as mentioned above, and then just C-Clamped to the plywood top when used. Stuck in a closet or corner when not needed. Sheet of plywood made for a good work surface for cleaning, etc. Come spring Rite Aid will have a folding table like the HD one for $30, and it folds in 1/2. It's what I use for cleaning guns, just pull up a chair. I bought a 4x6 cheap carpet to put under the table to save my carpeting. I just fold or roll it up when done.

I'm using this
    http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-height-heavy-duty-workstation-46725.html

I had to double up the top with an extra piece of mdf.
    with a toolbox full of supplies on the bottom shelf, its weighed down solid.

harbor freight has several stands for around $30 or less.
    while you are there get their 5lb tumbler and a set of their digital calipers.

MississippiJoe

Jul 21, 2012
    This is a pretty good solution. Surface would probably be pretty slick though. Do you drap the thing with shop rags?

I usually just clamp what I am working on. But it works really well for what I use it for. For reloading I use the wooden bench from Harbor Freight.

wvuguy

Mountain Man
    Jan 23, 2012
    Garrett County
    Here in our room we used an old craftsman metal table and replaced the top with oak wood. It is pretty nice.

Attachments

• 065.jpg
      065.jpg
      74 KB · Views: 330
    • 064.jpg
      064.jpg
      77.1 KB · Views: 318

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    +1 on the B&D Workmate idea. I'm using a top made from a very sturdy plywood shipping container......raises the work surface about 5". I put a small lip along the back edge and about 6" on each rear side to keep things from falling off. Press is bolted directly to the top - works great!

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    I've done 'portable benches' two ways.

The first was to mount my press to a length of 2"x12" (using bolts & nuts - not lag bolts). This board was then clamped in a Black&Decker Workmake folding workbench when I needed it.

It worked fairly well, and I could set up brass processing in the living room while watching TV.

I then went and built a dedicated model using a larger workmate - I removed the clamping boards and bolted down some 2x12s and covered them with a section of counter material. This new model has my press bolted to one side, the powder measures bolted to the other (with a space in between for my scale), and a manual case trimmer mounted to the third side. It takes up little room, but can be collapsed down to fit tight spaces.

The work top with tools:
    IMG_0152.jpg

The B&D Workmake which acts as a base.
    IMG_0153.jpg

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    You mean like an $8 organizers from home depot reinforced with 2x4s?

47034_10152387390045618_1995470584_n.jpg

It's not like I don't have room in my house to set up a permanent spot but I just wanted something I can move around. :)

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    ^^^^

Very impressive!

Seeing what you guys have done for re-loading benches really proves I can find a way to clean guns with limited space. Lots of creative ideas here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom