• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    One problem I have with most US preppers (especially on Youtube) is that none of them have ever lived it. They're all guessing. They put out a lot of conflicting information. They change their views every few months as perceived threats change. A lot of time is spent telling viewers "You're doing it wrong. You're going to die."

Here's an article written by a Bosnian who lived it for an entire year. I found it very informative. There are definitely important differences between his circumstances and conditions in the US. His experience is also 15 years ago. Technology must be taken into account. Still, a lot of core statements remain true for us, and for this moment in time.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Interesting but may I say just about anyone from war-torn countries have some degree of experience about how bad a situation can get.

Also most people can't survive on their own. Banding together is always the best option.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Excellent read. I saw that years ago. I remembered the don't go around with a fancy weapon and also the travel at night parts. I just had to reread a little to see it was the same first hand accounts. But its all good info.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    My takeaways from the article are:

- Community/groups are always stronger
    -Gray is life (don't be interesting looking)
    - Movement/speed is life (he ran everywhere)
    - Money was valueless quickly.
    - Precious metals were valueless not long afterwards
    - Ammo, tobacco, alcohol and sex were currency

Key differences between the author's circumstances and ours:

- The US is huge, more spread out. There will be less dense areas that are more survivable.
    - Technology has come a long way. A simple Lifestraw and a rain barrel can make circumstances far better than his. NV/thermal is now affordable for many.
    - US culture is very different. We are armed to the teeth by comparison. Even "normies" are beginning to stockpile food and water. Our culture is more prepared, independent and optimistic than Eastern European culture.

You'll notice how the author is a prepper now so that he doesn't get caught in the same situation.
    Me and my family are prepared now,i am well armed, stocked and educated.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    That story has been going around for years. I've read that its true and that its not true.
    Does anyone know?

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    That story has been going around for years. I've read that its true and that its not true.
    Does anyone know?
    You are right to be skeptical. Here's some information that I can offer that might help verify its authenticity:

This archive is from 2011, which I feel is before the worst of the informational gaslighting that we're experiencing right now.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Lets face it that most people are not survivalists. If they cant buy fish at store or restaurant then they will starve to death. No survival skills at all. They refuse to learn basic hunting and fishing skills or basic trapping, gathering. They think a gun and bug out bag will get them out of any situation.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    There is a good story and real online if you Google for it about what happens when government collapses overnight. Its written by a man that lived it and believe in Bosnia. Years ago the government collapsed overnight and lasted for well over a year. He explains how men turned to animals and savages within a week or so. People killing neighbors for food and to even eat them. Yes cannibalism. Also he keeps commenting about have a source of fire or light. Also whisky was traded in small jars and on and on. I wish I had the link but can be found easily. Ii watched it twice myself. It will wake you up

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    -Gray is life (don't be interesting looking)
    This is the one that gets me on so called preppers with generators and bragging about their "stash " of gas. They got 10 5 gallon cans they rotate to be fresh. First off, how long is 50 gallons of gas going to keep all your modern convivences before they die and you're SOL? Then what is your long term plan?

Secondly, to your comment I quoted. Burning all the lights at night and that generator noise is going to make you a target to all those hungry and less fortunate people and get you dead.

If you can't live like its the 1800's, you won't live.

Bug out bags will put you on a strangers land and all alone. No group to protect you and foraging off game the locals perceive as theirs and will likely also, get you dead. You better have a place of relativities, friends or some place you own to go. My wifes family said they are coming here, so I can take care of them. :)

Last edited:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    When SHTF he who has the gun is in charge those without guns are sheep. When I was a kid, we grew up as a semi subsistence family. We hunted, trapped, canned, foraged and grew our own food. Those who have done it will have a better chance of survival. Those that have not lived or done it and just read about it have a slim chance of survival.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    One problem I have with most US preppers (especially on Youtube) is that none of them have ever lived it. They're all guessing. They put out a lot of conflicting information. They change their views every few months as perceived threats change. A lot of time is spent telling viewers "You're doing it wrong. You're going to die."

Here's an article written by a Bosnian who lived it for an entire year. I found it very informative. There are definitely important differences between his circumstances and conditions in the US. His experience is also 15 years ago. Technology must be taken into account. Still, a lot of core statements remain true for us, and for this moment in time.

What's annoying is that even SEALs and Delta guys on YouTube b.s. a bunch and just talk and repeat stuff x10 to increase video length and sound knowledgeable. It's really annoying. The worst offenders are the instructors trying to promote themselves.

I really appreciate the link. Ty.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    When SHTF he who has the gun is in charge those without guns are sheep. When I was a kid, we grew up as a semi subsistence family. We hunted, trapped, canned, foraged and grew our own food. Those who have done it will have a better chance of survival. Those that have not lived or done it and just read about it have a slim chance of survival.
    Even knowing how to tend house plants puts you ahead of the vast majority for potentially growing your own food. We grew up doing the same things. We also cut our own trails in the woods and learned how and where to cross streams and marshes. Growing up on the marshes and in the woods has its advantages. If SHTF in my lifetime, I'll be happy in the fact that Bloomberg and his ilk will be amoung the first to starve.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Secondly, to your comment I quoted. Burning all the lights at night and that generator noise is going to make you a target to all those hungry and less fortunate people and get you dead.
    I have come to the sad realization that even my solar array and totally silent Powerwall is more of a threat than an asset.

You look at my roof during the day and assume I have power and therefore, food and other luxuries.
    You look at my house at night and see any kind of artificial light and assume the same.

I'd pretty much have to limit the Powerwall to driving refrigeration, the well pump and charging devices like radios. No lighting or anything that would draw attention. I'm totally prepared to live without air-conditioning.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    The worst offenders are the instructors trying to promote themselves.
    I'm definitely sick of all the conflicting information and advice from so-called experts and bearded, tatt'd up vet-bros.

- You're dead if you bug out.
    - You're dead if you bug in.
    - Your kit is all wrong.
    - Your gun is wrong.
    - Your clothes are wrong.
    - Your vehicle is wrong
    - Your food is wrong
    - Don't use a vehicle
    - You're training wrong.
    - You have too many people in your group.
    - You don't have enough people in your group.
    - You don't need a group.
    - You'll never stockpile enough ammo to survive.
    - You're a POG
    - You're just a LARP'er
    - Don't just roll over and die
    - Roll over and die

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    And those who only care about the latest fashions, what celebrities do, and who's texting on social media will have no chance at all.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    bearded, tatt'd up vet-bros.
    I see you know who I'm talking about. The "instructors" assume it'll never happen so they give wtvr info they want. All for more clicks. Pisses me off.
    The link you posted was excellent. I had never come across it before. The knowledge coupled with humility was refreshing.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Lets face it that most people are not survivalists. If they cant buy fish at store or restaurant then they will starve to death. No survival skills at all. They refuse to learn basic hunting and fishing skills or basic trapping, gathering. They think a gun and bug out bag will get them out of any situation.
    What about crabs? I buy meat at the store because it's easier. I can gut and butcher a deer into what I would need. Not much of a fisherman but I have caught fish and have rods and tackle.

How long do you think the deer population is going to last when everyone is killing them for food because that's all there is?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    What about crabs? I buy meat at the store because it's easier. I can gut and butcher a deer into what I would need. Not much of a fisherman but I have caught fish and have rods and tackle.

How long do you think the deer population is going to last when everyone is killing them for food because that's all there is?
    Longer than you think. Lots of dumb ones would be eaten in the first few years. Worse than humans, without government funded “animal control” we would revert to the deer population being controlled by feral dogs as it was 60 years ago. That is what caused the deer population explosion “animal control”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom