• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    I had a guy acting dangers-lee at 3am one night

Banging on my door...screaming to come outside...

I come down stairs with a round chambered not having any idea what the hell is going on

I look out a side window and see 2 cops standing there, patrol car in the street, so it's legit

I open the door and as nice as can be the younger one tells me it looks like my car had been broken into. They wanted to inform me

As he is writing up a report I tell the older cop that I can downstair ready to shoot and ask when they never said "police" and I told him the numerous ways that could have gone wrong for them at 3am

The older cop was just shaking his head in agreement, telling me the roomie wanted to do things his way and he wanted to give him some rope to make mistakes

I went back inside thinking "that's a hell of a rope you handed him....good lord"

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    General Sterling Price is ambivalent
    Obvious Lee
    1692139311109.png

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If someone is knocking at the door at 2AM because of a flat tire I figure it's one of two things:

A. They don't have a flat tire and are up to no good, and I'm not opening the door.

B. They do have a flat tire but are stupid enough to knock on strangers' doors at 2AM because of it, and I'm not opening the door.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If someone is knocking at the door at 2AM because of a flat tire I figure it's one of two things:

A. They don't have a flat tire and are up to no good, and I'm not opening the door.

B. They do have a flat tire but are stupid enough to knock on strangers' doors at 2AM because of it, and I'm not opening the door.
    Acting Smart Lee keeps you Live Lee.

With the prevalence of cell phones and vehicle telemetry services, the need for a stranger to knock on your front door is highly questionable.

Best to tell them to head back to their car and you‘ll call the local Non-Emergency or 911 if that‘s all you got in your area.

I would also check your 6 because while 1 perp is distracting you at the front door, their accomplice maybe sizing up your back door or trying to cut your phone and electric.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I had a guy acting dangers-lee at 3am one night

Banging on my door...screaming to come outside...

I come down stairs with a round chambered not having any idea what the hell is going on

I look out a side window and see 2 cops standing there, patrol car in the street, so it's legit

I open the door and as nice as can be the younger one tells me it looks like my car had been broken into. They wanted to inform me

As he is writing up a report I tell the older cop that I can downstair ready to shoot and ask when they never said "police" and I told him the numerous ways that could have gone wrong for them at 3am

The older cop was just shaking his head in agreement, telling me the roomie wanted to do things his way and he wanted to give him some rope to make mistakes

I went back inside thinking "that's a hell of a rope you handed him....good lord"
    Darn coppers

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Soooo…..Sinbad is going nuts at about 2am. I’m thinking it’s the neighbor’s cat on my porch as usual. My front door is open to let the night air in but the heavy screen door is adequately secured. Sinbad’s barking is becoming more intense and aggressive as I get out of bed. I walk into my living room and I hear “Excuse me excuse me” and there’s a guy at my door peeking around the corner. He’s at a distance because of the dog. I hollered what do you want while I’m pulling my .45 from its holster. He says he has a flat tire and can I help him? I holler NO, he apologizes, and I hear him running away. I shake off the cobwebs from my brain and carefully step out onto the porch, with Sinbad’s collar in one hand and my little friend in the other. There’s a car parked on the road with it’s hazards flashing about 200 yards down the road. OK, maybe he really is having trouble, and I call the sheriff’s department. Ten minutes later, a deputy shows up, they have some exchange….and he drives away with the deputy behind him. He didn’t appear to have a flat tire.

Situational awareness. It is so important to have your wits about you when something like this happens. Rousted from a deep sleep and confronted with a potentially dangerous situation with little time to prepare. I have no idea what this guy was up to - whether he actually had car trouble or if his intentions were more nefarious. At any rate, it’s a really stupid move to beat on someone’s door in the middle of the night out here.
    It’s stories like this that make me miss my early warning system called Prince. My Staffordshire Terrier Prince passed away and was the best companion dog I ever had.

Years before he passed away he went crazy barking at the back door in the middle of the day after I arrived home from work. I approached the back door the same way but with my XDM .40 and saw nothing. The squirrels were frolicking under the oak trees and Prince hated squirrels so I assumed that was the reason. About an hour later when I went out to check the mailbox my nosey neighbor asked me who the guy was with a pickup truck and West Virginia tags and was walking around the back of my house was. She said he said he was doing a home inspection checking the windows and doors but abruptly left.

I miss Prince.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Knocking on doors in the middle of the night in the countryside is not a good idea, even in daytime it is better to shout a big "Haloo Anyone Home?" from a distance.

True story happened in VA not far from WVA, these were true "hill folk", our neighbors. They heard someone walking on their front porch in the middle of the night so the husband shot through the front door. In their own words "I guess he didn't hit nobody 'cause there wern't no blood on the porch next morning."

True country folk have a different view on things than what city folk might be used to.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Knocking on doors in the middle of the night in the countryside is not a good idea, even in daytime it is better to shout a big "Haloo Anyone Home?" from a distance.

True story happened in VA not far from WVA, these were true "hill folk", our neighbors. They heard someone walking on their front porch in the middle of the night so the husband shot through the front door. In their own words "I guess he didn't hit nobody 'cause there wern't no blood on the porch next morning."

True country folk have a different view on things than what city folk might be used to.
    Yes - Even Amazon does not understand this. Twice this week they made deliveries here before 5AM, which seems insane to me for residential delivery. The first was just just before 5 and the second was at 03:45. Cameras and spotlights went off, the dog was barking, and I was in defensive mode before their vehicles were in park. At least they thought to put a taxi-like light atop their vehicles that says "Amazon".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom