• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    If you have magnesium wire/ribbon as part of your fire-starting kit & one of those electric plasma arc lighters, they don't play well together!
    The arc lighters are great & solar rechargeable via USB so ever lasting (more or less).
    But the plasma arc shorts when magnesium is introduced as it will be to light it.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    The arc may not be hot enough to ignite the magnesium, I believe it requires a white hot spark, like the flint which comes with the Harbor Freight firestarters.

Youtube says - I am wr……wro…….incorrect.

Last edited:

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    If you have magnesium wire/ribbon as part of your fire-starting kit & one of those electric plasma arc lighters, they don't play well together!
    The arc lighters are great & solar rechargeable via USB so ever lasting (more or less).
    But the plasma arc shorts when magnesium is introduced as it will be to light it.

So, what you're saying, is that when you introduce a conductive metal into the arc of and electrical circuit, it shorts out?

Shocking.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I actually got it to light with a pinch of cotton wool & a drop of alcohol. That lit from the arc & the mag ribbon I just laid my short test piece on top of it.
    I do scrape oxide off if its formed heavily, that is a big help.

Not quite, the arc jumps to the conductive metal which then passes it to the other electrode, but the actual arc isn't heating the metal.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I don't understand why you'd need the magnesium if you have the lighter. You should just be good to go starting a fire with the lighter. I have one of the arc lighter things. They're pretty awesome at catching things. Although, some suck at reaching in to a nest, so you have to basically light a twig and then use that twig as a match to reach in to tighter spots.

Ditch the magnesium and just use the lighter... to light things.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I actually got it to light with a pinch of cotton wool & a drop of alcohol. That lit from the arc & the mag ribbon I just laid my short test piece on top of it.
    I do scrape oxide off if its formed heavily, that is a big help.

Not quite, the arc jumps to the conductive metal which then passes it to the other electrode, but the actual arc isn't heating the metal.
    Ohms law is a thing. The current also doesn't ignite the copper wires it travels along before jumping in an arc.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Wet wood. Mag wire will make anything burn.
    I was just dong some experimenting with various lighting kindling & so on.
    In reality I would do just that.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Coalcracker has some great videos for this kindve stuff. Maybe gorilla tape might do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom