• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrGrey

May 23, 2017
    hello guys,

i’m looking to purchase a sniper rifle. Since i’ve never fired a sniper rifle before, what would you guys recommend for a newbie like me that’s worth the money?

i’ve looked around and so far, there’s remington 700, tikka x3, and savage axis?
    what do you guys think?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Tikka and Browning make very nice bolt action rifles.

Like the man said, buy the best you can afford.

Rule of thumb: Put more money into the scope. A crappy rifle with good glass will shoot better than a good rifle with crappy glass.

Example: Don't buy a $569.99 rifle and mount a $34.97 Simmons scope atop it.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    What are you trying to do with the rifle? Are you trying to hunt or just target shoot? Do you have any experience shooting rifles? What are you looking at budget wise? Are you trying to have a semi auto or bolt action rifle?

These are all things to consider before buying a rifle.

MrGrey

May 23, 2017
    What are you trying to do with the rifle? Are you trying to hunt or just target shoot? Do you have any experience shooting rifles? What are you looking at budget wise? Are you trying to have a semi auto or bolt action rifle?

These are all things to consider before buying a rifle.

i’m looking to practice first with target shooting, then eventually go on hunting with friends.

as far as budget, i’d like to keep it minimum $1000 but no more than $2000. i can always upgrade later, just wanted something to practice on with a good quality rifle in that price range.

id like to have both to be honest, one as bolt action and semi, but for my first, i’d like it to be bolt action.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Personally i dont look at a $1000-$2000 gun being a beginners rifle.

If your looking for a beginners bolt action, look at the Savage Axis as already mentioned. My 15 year old son can shoot 1” groups with his $250 Axis. Practice with it and and make an educated decision on your next, more exspensive rifle.

MrGrey

May 23, 2017
    Personally i dont look at a $1000-$2000 gun being a beginners rifle.

If your looking for a beginners bolt action, look at the Savage Axis as already mentioned. My 15 year old son can shoot 1” groups with his $250 Axis. Practice with it and and make an educated decision on your next, more exspensive rifle.

that’s pretty impressive. i’ll try the savage

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    If you are new to shooting rifles, I'd recommend getting a Ruger 10/22 or a .223. Both are inexpensive to shoot. The Ruger 10/22 is currently on sale at GymRatz for $195. It's a great little rifle for plinking and the occasional squirrel or bunny. It's a learner gun but has a ton of upgrades available if you want.

For a .223, I'd recommend a Savage or Remington 700 with a heavy barrel for target shooting. You can use this for hunting small game and varmints like foxes. You can easily shoot this out to 600 yard targets. Some people will shoot them farther.

If you want a basic rifle that will let you hunt bigger animals like deer, look at a Savage or Remington 700 in 308 or 30-06. You could also do a 270 or 6.5 Creedmoor. If you are going this route, a Savage Axis II is your best bet to get started cheaply.

Once you have been shooting, you'll figure out what you like and what you don't. Try to keep your first rifle under $700. You can get a good basic rifle to learn on for that amount. You can then get something nicer that you really want and fits what you are trying to do better.

i’m looking to practice first with target shooting, then eventually go on hunting with friends.

as far as budget, i’d like to keep it minimum $1000 but no more than $2000. i can always upgrade later, just wanted something to practice on with a good quality rifle in that price range.

id like to have both to be honest, one as bolt action and semi, but for my first, i’d like it to be bolt action.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    OP find yourself a older.308 Remington PSS with a 24 inch 5R barrel with no more than a 1000 round count and you will have a tack driver on a budget. And if the day comes to take it to the next level,you will already have the action that 75% of all precision rifles are built off of. I have held 3/4 MOA to 850 yards with a PSS.

Last edited:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I’ll second the Savage rifles. Most shoot very well. Keep in mind that unless you are hunting from a bipod or do not plan to walk much a typical precision rifle is heavy. A hunting style rifle is not as bad to carry all over the place.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    A sniper is a person, not a rifle.

+1000.

IMHO get a 22LR precision trainer bolt action rifle that simulates the operation of a larger caliber rifle with more range and cost. Ruger' precision rimfire seems like a lot of fun in that direction, but there are many great cheaper models out there, Savage and CZ have great ones available. Can get a lot of the same effects of long range shooting at 200 yards. Then decide what direction you want to go into.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    If you don’t mind the weight, the Remington 700 Sendero SF II (stainless fluted) in 300 Win Mag is the most accurate Rifle I’ve ever shot. Remington claims it’s the most accurat Rifle they make. You can get one for about $1,100 on GunBroker. Other than a custom rifle, it’s hard to beat. That said, Savage makes great rifles too.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-sendero-sf-ii

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom