BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Updated story...........

o-ALI-AFIFI-EGYPTIAN-THIEF-570.jpg

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I have 10 years of machine shop experience with some large metal working machine tools and I wouldn't personally be interested in running a splitter like Alucard posted

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    You need the finger flinger 500, or perhaps the hand-y hacker 1000:D

It obviously took some mechanical skill to build that... so the question then becomes, WHY? Why, of all the different designs you could come up with to split logs efficiently, would you pick a design that's going to amputate or mutilate your hands the very first time you position them off by just a few inches?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I have 10 years of machine shop experience with some large metal working machine tools and I wouldn't personally be interested in running a splitter like Alucard posted

I have ZERO machine shop experience and would not be interested in running that splitter either. I want to weld up something like a Timberwolf TW-6 with a log lift. Just roll the big ones to the splitter and it is all good. Heck, roll the small ones too.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Do yourself the largest favor in wood splitting and buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7884-...86774292&sr=1-1&keywords=fiskar+splitting+axe

It is very cheap for what it is and the BEST splitting axe on the market. Way faster and easier than a maul or wedge. Dry wood with no knots only takes one hit. $40 is a steal.

I used about 12 different axes/mauls/wedges before I found this. I research A LOT on a ton of forums and this axe was the hands-down consensus. Its light enough that you can chop for hours without exhaustion. The coating and shape of the head splits wood like no one's business and I haven't needed to sharpen mine after a few cords of splitting.

I sold a ton of firewood last year and used only this splitting axe.

A word of advice, on the very large pieces, don't try to split it cross-way. Just break pieces off the outside and work your way in.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7884-...86774292&sr=1-1&keywords=fiskar+splitting+axe

It is very cheap for what it is and the BEST splitting axe on the market. Way faster and easier than a maul or wedge. Dry wood with no knots only takes one hit. $40 is a steal.

I used about 12 different axes/mauls/wedges before I found this. I research A LOT on a ton of forums and this axe was the hands-down consensus. Its light enough that you can chop for hours without exhaustion. The coating and shape of the head splits wood like no one's business and I haven't needed to sharpen mine after a few cords of splitting.

A word of advice, on the very large pieces, don't try to split it cross-way. Just break pieces off the outside and work your way in.

We already talked him into it, yea it's awesomme

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

:thumbsup: Yep, I have one on the way! I must have lucked out, on the price, too... it was $2 cheaper yesterday. :D

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Rednecks don't worry about the small details, we just get it done!

It obviously took some mechanical skill to build that... so the question then becomes, WHY? Why, of all the different designs you could come up with to split logs efficiently, would you pick a design that's going to amputate or mutilate your hands the very first time you position them off by just a few inches?

I have ZERO machine shop experience and would not be interested in running that splitter either. I want to weld up something like a Timberwolf TW-6 with a log lift. Just roll the big ones to the splitter and it is all good. Heck, roll the small ones too.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Those old timey machines are neat, but you couldn't pay me to run that wood splitter. I'm no big safety sally, and swinging axe can hurt you just as bad but that thing takes no effort on the operator to have a major mishap.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    And people have accidentally shot themselves, burned down their houses installing wood stoves, sawed off appendages with chainsaws, cut off fingers using table saws and circular saws, shot nails into themselves and others while using pneumatic nail guns, burned themselves while using torches and welders, etc. The list can get pretty long.

Treat EVERY tool with the utmost respect it deserves and know your limitations. Never used a chainsaw before? Don't start with the largest one on the shelf. Don't split wood until you are physically or mentally fatigued. Do not do dangerous work when you are physically or mentally fatigued.

During a day's time processing firewood, I usually start with the chainsaw, then use the splitter, then stack. Hard to kill yourself while throwing split firewood around, even though I am sure it can be done somehow.

I understand this, completely!!!

I understand this, completely, as well. The whole issue is..... my B-I-L doesn't.
    He's an accountant for a very large security firm. He THINKS he's "Joe H. Lumberjack".

:D

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I understand this, completely!!!

I understand this, completely, as well. The whole issue is..... my B-I-L doesn't.
    He's an accountant for a very large security firm. He THINKS he's "Joe H. Lumberjack".

:D

lol - I am an attorney/CPA. Just because somebody is educated doesn't mean they cannot get their hands dirty. However, I grew up getting my hands dirty so I have a little bit of a head start on most others.

Until recently, I just could not understand how people could not do their own home improvements, car repairs, machinery repairs, etc. Then, my sisters got married and I got to see how my brother in-laws use a hammer, circular saw, etc. I stepped back and went WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, but did so silently.

I tell some of my attorney friends about heating my house with firewood and processing the wood from tree to firewood myself. Their reaction is "it sounds like work". Most of them would kill themselves with a chainsaw, and most likely themselves and/or somebody else with a firearm.

It has finally dawned on me that the majority of people do NOT know how to do anything other than their 9-5.

As I said, make sure you know your own abilities before you go out there and buy that monster chainsaw, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom