• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Measurable reason? Better trigger, higher capacity, lighter, aftermarket support etc. STI/Staccato has been solving the "problem that doesn't exist" (improving ergos, modular frame, more ammo in less space, recoil reduction...) since 1993, and the company has been around since 1980. If that's new to you, how did you manage to find the internet?

Now granted the SA isn't a Staccato/STI, but it's pretty clearly modeled pretty damn closely and the 2011 platform.

Anyway, if SA can quickly remedy any "bugs" that present themselves, as they do with most manufacturers' first releases (*cough...Sig recalls), Staccato might have something to sweat about.
    Better trigger is not measureable. Both have 4lb single action triggers. The Sig legion ships with factory 18rd mags with 20rd extended mags available. (Sig website is wrong).

As far as weight: I don't believe that a partially steel framed, steel slide, bull barrel, solid reverse recoil guide rod commander-ish length (4.25") pistol is a half oz lighter than an alloy framed thin barreled 4.4" pistol with a hollow guide rod. Steel is heavy, and both the sti and the staccato have a lot of it.

I'm just saying I don't understand what these guns do better than any other quality double stack 9. I only brought up the Sig because it comes in single action for a more apples to apples comparison. It seems like a bunch of internet fanboys who think that any of this is new.

Newsflash, 2011s have been around for a long time. Para (anyone remember the p18-9?), Dan Wesson, RIA, The original Springfield armory 2011, SVI, STI make or have made 2011s for decades. So what is so special about these?

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Better trigger is not measureable. Both have 4lb single action triggers. The Sig legion ships with factory 18rd mags with 20rd extended mags available. (Sig website is wrong).

As far as weight: I don't believe that a partially steel framed, steel slide, bull barrel, solid reverse recoil guide rod commander-ish length (4.25") pistol is a half oz lighter than an alloy framed thin barreled 4.4" pistol with a hollow guide rod. Steel is heavy, and both the sti and the staccato have a lot of it.

I'm just saying I don't understand what these guns do better than any other quality double stack 9. I only brought up the Sig because it comes in single action for a more apples to apples comparison. It seems like a bunch of internet fanboys who think that any of this is new.

Newsflash, 2011s have been around for a long time. Para (anyone remember the p18-9?), Dan Wesson, RIA, The original Springfield armory 2011, SVI, STI make or have made 2011s for decades. So what is so special about these?

So, the Sig website is wrong and I can't find anyone on line that ships them with a 18rd and 20rd mag. Ok.

Newsflash, you're the one that said you never heard of Staccato. Para, Dan Wesson, RIA, and the old SA double stack were NOT 2011s. They were/are fat, bloated, piggish guns. But they paved the way for the 2011.

What's so special about these is that if proven reliable, they'll offer a HELL of a deal/value in the 2011 market that otherwise never existed.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    So, the Sig website is wrong and I can't find anyone on line that ships them with a 18rd and 20rd mag. Ok.

Newsflash, you're the one that said you never heard of Staccato. Para, Dan Wesson, RIA, and the old SA double stack were NOT 2011s. They were/are fat, bloated, piggish guns. But they paved the way for the 2011.

What's so special about these is that if proven reliable, they'll offer a HELL of a deal/value in the 2011 market that otherwise never existed.

I never said they ship with a 20. they ship with 3x18rd flush fit with 20rd being available. Or at least mine did.

I was mistaken. I was thinking of the 1911a2.

Not sure how much of a deal it is, as the mutant offspring of a 1911a2 and a Glock(just like everything STI has ever made) Seems worth about $400-$450 to me.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Man, this is a spicey hot take, and I don't know if I agree with the part in bold. The Paras were hot in competition back in their day when they were quality made-in-Canada guns. I've owned an RIA 1911A2 double-stack, and shitty build quality aside, it wasn't a bad piece in terms of the size/weight trade-offs. I don't pick up my BUL M-5 and go "omg so fat compared to my SAS II", either.

Anyways, not addressed to anyone in particular... as people who have been to AGC on Thursdays can attest, I shoot a 2011 passingly well, and I own a bunch of them (including a couple in the $3500-$5500 range). In spite of that, my personal belief is that there's no longer a very significant performance gap between an upgraded striker trigger (P320 with KDT / GG springs / TSA trigger job, a tweaked Canik Rival, even a Glock with the Timney Alpha trigger etc.) and a very good 2011 trigger. The 2011 trigger may still be better in some minor ways, but on the clock, those differences are going to get lost in the noise of other considerations. People are winning Limited these days shooting Caniks and P320s (in minor power factor, to boot), and I don't think the shooting world at large has quite caught to that fact.

All of which is to say that I sometimes feel like the 2011 hype is driven by new shooters who are coming off stock Glocks, XDs, HKs, etc. that have terrible triggers, and don't really know what's out there. They buy the new hotness ("STACCATO") and it is indeed better, but they don't get that it's not the only game in town, and may not even be the best value.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm interested in the 4.25". I've seen several reports of the 5" having feed issues and the 4.25" running like a stabbed rat.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    I'm interested in the 4.25". I've seen several reports of the 5" having feed issues and the 4.25" running like a stabbed rat.

Alot of the issues I've seen look like they'd be pretty easy to fix. At a grand under a staccato even if it needs a little tweaking it's a solid deal. I've already ordered a 4.25 should be to the ffl in a couple days. Then just have to wait for the roster to update.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    We have the Prodigy in stock. Of course, we are waiting for the roster update.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

BPH102687

I like things and stuff, mostly stuff.
    Apr 11, 2021
    Ellicott City
    Anyone know any more about it? From what I understand 4" MSRP is $1500 and 5" is $1700. So far I've heard it will take Staccato mags.

https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/125700-springfield-prodigy-1911ds-double-stack-announced/

I'm in!

I just helped a friend find one of these. 5” was extremely difficult to locate even online. He just ordered one of the 3 that was left in stock.

Probably also worth noting that this one doesn’t have the Hex on it, but given the difficulty to locate one at all he opted to jump on it and worry about optic later

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    I believe around Feb. 2nd

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Damn, I didn't realize it took that long after the meeting to make the list. It's been a while since I tried to get one added.

I ordered one, it should be to the FFL today. Now we wait.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Dunno who that is. But I was being serious.

Sig P226 Legion SAO has the option of a red dot, capacity of 18-20rds, similar price, single action 4lb trigger, more reliable design and is lighter. Plus is made by a well established company that has and does provide firearms to the military. Springfield Armory is a great company but has never provided weapons to the military (Read the fine print, SA of Genoso, IL has no relation to the US Govt Springfield Armory of the past). And I have no idea who Staccato is other than they are internet famous and didn't exist a few years ago.

Springfield Armory will be hard pressed to improve upon a Sig P226 Legion SAO.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Went to Engage today to check out a 229 since an IP posted a nice used Legion. Engage had a 229Elite which was real nice, but a tiny bit too small to be comfortable for me. They also had a regular Police Trade-in 226 for decent price and I assume the Legion is about the same size/grip/style, no? Both very nice guns...but they also had a 5" Prodigy and man that gun felt good. If it was the 4.25" one I would've probably bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom