• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm guessing he wants to know for sure how long his shtf water resources are viable.

Even if it's old and kinda skunky/buggy, a high quality ceramic micro filter like a Katadyn can make it potable in a pinch. Should always have a couple of such around regardless - we always have one in the vehicle's SHTF bag.

eltonfan59

2A, Retired Teacher
    Mar 11, 2022
    Mocksville, NC
    i dont know if this has been posted elsewhere or not but I guess it won't hurt if it gets posted again.

Le Bleu bottled water is the only water approved for our troops in the middle east. It is also the only water without an expiration date because of the water's purity and lack of organic material suspended in the water. I buy a case a week. Sure, it's more expensive than most other bottled water but I'm not looking to consume it right now. It's made right down the road from me about 10 miles. For me, it is a long(er) term water storage solution. You can also order larger bottles from their website. Just my two cents.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Like the water-storage noob that I am, I recently bought 5 cases of Deer Park, 6 - 1 gallon plastic jugs of spring water.

How long would this water remain potable in temp controlled basement storage?

I realize this is nowhere near a true "preppers" amount of water, but it's better than what I had before.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    anyone made a well bucket drop tube, or anything along that line. It becomes a real PITA flushing the toilet on well water when the power is out for extended periods. Has not happened for a while but thinking about doing something.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    anyone made a well bucket drop tube, or anything along that line. It becomes a real PITA flushing the toilet on well water when the power is out for extended periods. Has not happened for a while but thinking about doing something.

Yepper. Upstairs toilet is circa 1952. 4 gal/ flush+/-... I keep 8 gallons of water in the bathroom closet tucked under the attic steps. If the power outage lasts longer than 3 flushes the generator gets fired up. If push comes to shove the well is circa 1865 and hand dug. I can lower a bucket down and pull it back up again.

i dont know if this has been posted elsewhere or not but I guess it won't hurt if it gets posted again.

Le Bleu bottled water is the only water approved for our troops in the middle east. It is also the only water without an expiration date because of the water's purity and lack of organic material suspended in the water. I buy a case a week. Sure, it's more expensive than most other bottled water but I'm not looking to consume it right now. It's made right down the road from me about 10 miles. For me, it is a long(er) term water storage solution. You can also order larger bottles from their website. Just my two cents.

This is nothing against you, and everything against their marketing department...
    Their website has some impressive wording to explain that they sell steam distilled water. Chemically speaking, their process is no different than any other steam distilled water. They're describing autoclave (think pressure cooker) temperatures before the distillate is collected. Collecting the steam from boiling water is no different than collecting the steam from a pressure cooker.
    It is not good to drink distilled water as your primary source of hydration. Distilled water is so pure, it is "starving" for ions to "replenish" itself. If that means stealing calcium from your bones, it will do so.

Once again, this is not a bash on Eltonfan59, rather a bash on Le Bleu's deceptive marketing. (I know a little bit about water filtration and purification)

I have a handful of Aquatainer jugs that have been holding municipal water for the last 7-10 years, and I'm curious if the water therein remains potable. I used to rotate the jugs fairly often, but a combination of laziness and life getting in the way have brought me here. The containers themselves were sanitized with several ounces of regular chlorine bleach, which was left in the jug prior to filling. The jugs have been stored in climate controlled basement in a fairly dark area the entire time.

I'd like to have the water tested by a professional who can give me hard data and hopefully explain what the numbers mean. For what should I have the water tested? My limited research suggests that testing for bacteria, nitrates/nitrites, pH, and turbidity would be sufficient, but I freely admit that I don't know the first thing about water quality.

Bring me a sample and I'll perform bacterial testing pro bono.
    You added municipal (chlorinated) water to the jugs. Provided it was tightly sealed and stored in the dark, the water in Aquatainers should still be potable. It won't likely taste too good, but it should be safe to drink.

Like the water-storage noob that I am, I recently bought 5 cases of Deer Park, 6 - 1 gallon plastic jugs of spring water.

How long would this water remain potable in temp controlled basement storage?

I realize this is nowhere near a true "preppers" amount of water, but it's better than what I had before.

Keep them sealed and in the dark- you'll likely be good for a decade. The plastic the bottles are made of is very important for long term storage.
    I buy cases of 16oz bottles. It is more economical and easier to stack.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Sure, that would work for emergency purposes. Alum and pool shock would be an economical replacement, but this is a viable method- at least on paper.
    Make sure to have filtrate to remove the solids.
    Yeah, I was looking at that part of the process. It just sounded "too easy"... Pour this in some questionable water, stir, let sit for a bit, then strain through any tee shirt handy...I know that is over simplifying the product and process, but hey, that's how it sounded initially to me.

Yeah, I was looking at that part of the process. It just sounded "too easy"... Pour this in some questionable water, stir, let sit for a bit, then strain through any tee shirt handy...I know that is over simplifying the product and process, but hey, that's how it sounded initially to me.
    I am a big fan of using your screen name's brother- KMn04 (Potassium Permanganate).
    ETA- My inner nerd thinks of that every time you post.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I am a big fan of using your screen name's brother- KMn04 (Potassium Permanganate).
    ETA- My inner nerd thinks of that every time you post.
    LOL!!!!! I am a BIG fan of it as well. Found it a few years ago while looking at alternate fire starting methods. Then found the other uses for it and thought it was an added value to my bag of tricks.

Oddly enough, with the wife coming online with firearms recently, I told her it was time for her and the girls to learn how to start a fire if needed. showed them how to use a magnesium bar, Potassium Permanganate and glycerin, and my all time favorite, UCO storm proof matches. Showed them, then had them try it. The wife was the only one to get all three, but I kinda knew that going into the small lesson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom