• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I have a few of the Sawyer system filters. Their website says the Sawyer MINI Water Filter is rated to 0.1 micron absolute. If that is true, then based on what you said above, they should clog quickly. I have tested two of the ones I currently own and they worked pretty well without clogging, granted I started with a relatively safe water source to begin with (one was well water on a farm, the other was out at Loch Raven). Would it be safe to assume the water did not have a lot of bacteria to begin with? There was not a lot of visible particulate matter to begin with (at least with my tired eyes).
    No, bacteria is onmipresent, i.e. everywhere on everything. Of course not all bacteria is harmful. Bacteria are 'large' compared to virus , being visible in a hobby microscope whereas viruses generally require electron microscope power to visualize. I try to get filters that realistically get down to 5 microns and also use bleach or other chemicals to kill organisms

No, bacteria is onmipresent, i.e. everywhere on everything. Of course not all bacteria is harmful. Bacteria are 'large' compared to virus , being visible in a hobby microscope whereas viruses generally require electron microscope power to visualize. I try to get filters that realistically get down to 5 microns and also use bleach or other chemicals to kill organisms
    Go back a bunch of pages in this thread and check out the results of the samples I plated in our lab. Some of those purifiers worked eerily well. I'm talking E. coli at >1000mg/l or "TNTC" dropping to undetectable levels.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland

Extreme emergency coupled with rudimentary filter, thoughts? I'm thinking for a rain water collection, or just "I haven't prepped and this is what I have around the house." Obviously the water source would have to be chosen carefully since metals or chemicals wouldn't be removed.

Last edited:

Extreme emergency coupled with rudimentary filter, thoughts? I'm thinking for a rain water collection, or just "I haven't prepped and this is what I have around the house." Obviously the water source would have to be chosen carefully since metals or chemicals wouldn't be removed.

His information is flawed on too many levels to go in to, but I will mention the obvious (to water nerds)... Storing bleach in a clear bottle makes the contents questionable very quickly. Using bleach is useless unless the free chlorine can be tested. UV/sunlight eats chlorine fast.
    Google Potassium Permanganate for water purification. Much easier to use and visual results are immediate.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    His information is flawed on too many levels to go in to, but I will mention the obvious (to water nerds)... Storing bleach in a clear bottle makes the contents questionable very quickly. Using bleach is useless unless the free chlorine can be tested. UV/sunlight eats chlorine fast.
    Google Potassium Permanganate for water purification. Much easier to use and visual results are immediate.
    What's best for long-term bleach? Tablets?

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I searched the thread to see if this brand/model filter was mentioned but didn't see it. I've had a couple of these for years and they claim to be one of the few (only?) mechanical filters to remove viruses and cysts without chemical filtration.

Thoughts?

Usmc1968

Pronouns: Bro / Brah/ Bruh
    Jan 22, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    I used an AquaRain exclusively for 2 years while living in Mexico, never got sick. Poured all kinds of water in it. While traveling we used a First Need portable, again never got sick. You cannot control what they water the food with but in terms of drinking water we were good to go. Have used General Ecology filters for 20 years and they are awesome.
    I would plan to hunker in place, have 5+ wooded acres, a creek in the back and a 30K gallon pool.

Last edited:

treasurehunter

Jul 22, 2018
    I used an AquaRain exclusively for 2 years while living in Mexico, never got sick. Poured all kinds of water in it. While traveling we used a First Need portable, again never got sick. You cannot control what they water the food with but in terms of drinking water we were good to go. Have used General Ecology filters for 20 years and they are awesome.
    I would plan to hunker in place, have 5+ wooded acres, a creek in the back and a 30K gallon pool.
    Is it possible to drink pool water since it's chlorinated already?.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I don’t think a hand pump will pull it out from the average well depths now a days. AA county area I am in the older wells are around 60-80’. New wells 300’

Man 300’ of pumping or pulling, regardless you going to have an Amish sistermater sized arm.
    You can only "pull" water from about 33 feet deep because it is actually air pressure that is pushing the water up out of the well. (the approximate 15 PSI atmospheric air pressure is about equal to the weight of a column of water 33 feet high, water pressure is 0.433 pounds per foot of depth) When you need a deep well pump the pump actually goes down inside the well and the pumps water pressure pushes the water up the pipe. Same with a deep well hand pump the pump mechanism is down inside the well and the water pressure pushes the water up to the surface. Hand pumps use mechanical advantage to overcome the resistance.

The other choice is to live without water.

This will get you started:

AA County used to use shallow well hand pumps "Pitcher Pumps" then as wells got deeper they went to jet pumps that were electric with the pump at ground level, they had to be "primed", which would pump a stream of water down one pipe in the well casing through a venturi which would suck in additional water and out a second pipe in the well casing to the pressure tank. As water tables have dropped and people have tried to get away from the high Iron content the depth of wells has increased. Thus the need for deep well pumps with the pump located below the water table within the well casing.

If you don't like the convenience of a hand pump you could always use a well bucket:

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I finally pulled the trigger on a water purifier. I got the ProOne (formerly Propur) Big+. It's 3 gallons total but that's split up between the purified area of 2 gallons and the water-to-be-purified of 1 gallon. So it really only stores 2 gallons of purified water.

With one filter it costs $229. Shipping was free.

It was easy to set up with good instructions. I used Star San Sanitizer on all the parts before putting it together. The instructions say to run 2 or 3 cycles and dump the water. I'm glad I did because the water was cloudy the first 2 cycles.

With only 1 filter installed it takes about 4 hours to fill the 2 gallon holding area for purified water. You will have to refill the input once. It has the option to have up to 3 filters. More filters reduces the time to purify but then you have to replace 3 filters every year. The first 1/2 gallon goes quickly, like within an hour, but the remainder takes another 2 hours or so. I think this is because lower surface area on the filter once the water level goes down. If you keep refilling it when it's 1/2 way down then it will go faster. But if you over fill it and the purified tank is full then it will start to leak out.

In addition to daily drinking water I'm also filling up these 4 gallon water bottles we got from the grocery store. Originally we got these so my wife could make beer with the water. Now I'm working on filling them and storing for stand-by water.

Overall I would recommend this. The 2 gallon purified water is a barely big enough for us 2 adults for a day. If you had more people in the home then I'd get something bigger. I plan on replacing the filter annually, they are $79 each.

Attachments

• purifier-water-jug-small.jpg
      purifier-water-jug-small.jpg
      106.5 KB · Views: 65

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    This is going to start out unrelated but kind of zoom in on the issue of getting water. I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with DARC and specifically TUSC. DARC is a training company / org run by a former green beret. It's not so "gun training summer camp" type that other popular prior service members seem to popularize. It's pretty serious, high level stuff. TUSC is the tactical urban sustainment course. One of the main focuses is water safety/security, cause you can go without a lot of other things for a period of time, but as we all know we need water.

We've spent a lot of time on how to purify water, but I think only recently gotten to, how to get the water. I bring this all up to mention that a graduate of the course was previously an engineer who worked in africa with engineers without boarders and has previously worked in building water support systems in areas where clean water wasn't to be taken for granted, and has in my opinion, worked much of the problem / developed a key piece of the puzzle already.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I make R.O. water with this compact system that's marketed to homebrewers. I bought mine at a homebrewers conference a bunch of years ago so it was a whole lot less than the current $400 system price. I also have the accessory TDS meter which reports the total dissolved solids going in, and coming out, of the system. Typical numbers are 350-450 ppm TDS going into the filter, and 0-5 coming out. The filter uses a carbon cartridge, a deionization cartridge, suspended solids, and an R.O. membrane.

I use the R.O. water for brewing (depending on the brewing method and beer style), for our coffee maker to dilute the charcoal filtered water out of our refrigerator, and to replenish the water in my 2 aquariums. I'll usually make 15-20 gallons at a time and use 2.5 gallon jugs and 3 gallon carboys to collect the output water, and either run the discharge water into the yard or collect it to water the flowers.

The advantage to this system is that it is self-contained and portable, I don't have space under our sink for an installed system, and I can use it anywhere there is a standard hose bib. The downside is that it uses proprietary cartridges which are kind of expensive.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 5.35.12 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom