• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hmmm. Follow up question, I don't use chlorine, I use biguanide (Baquacil) instead of chlorine. Does that change things?

As long as you're doing the periodic shocks with peroxide, you should be fine. Do family members have sensitivities to chlorine? I'm pretty sure that stuff is mighty pricey to use.
    I know it works great for bacteria, but I don't think Baquacil/Soft Swim is effective against Giardia and Cryptosporidium cysts. I'm not 100% sure on that, so do your own research if it is a concern.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Thanks. Honestly, the pool was being treated with it when I bought the house. Switching back to chlorine is a pricey pain in the ass endeavor according to the inter webs.

In third world countries organizations like UNICEF, and other NGO's who give training to the locals to sanitize water buy filtration through sand charcoal and straw then decant the clear water into clear containers then put them in the sun (usually on a sloped south facing roof) for 24hrs. The mechanical filtration removes particulates and somewhat sanitizes and the UV from the sun finishes the sanitizing work.

My background in survival instruction and Navy training has allowed me to use this method many times as well as steri pens (which as you mentioned require some source of power) and yet to get sick.
    Of course since this method only minimally removes chemicals (charcoal) I've always used water from sources that are free (as much as is possible) from chemical contaminants.

Thoughts or comments?

Comment- As long as you understand the concept of mechanical, biological and chemical contaminate removal, you will be fine.
    I started the thread for the gals and guys who didn't know why they needed X,Y and Z.
    Just as I did when people had well water questions- I'm not selling anything; just helping everyone to make an informed decision.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Question here. Last week, I heard in the news in DC they found a body floating in cities drinking water resivor. The fix was to add more chlorine since they said the body was I think found in the sediment pond.

When SHTF won't many tributaries, lakes and such could be contaminated with human elements? Few years ago in California they found a girl's body in a hotel water tank that pipe the water to all the rooms.

Just wondering?

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    When SHTF won't many tributaries, lakes and such could be contaminated with human elements? Few years ago in California they found a girl's body in a hotel water tank that pipe the water to all the rooms.

Just wondering?

It is certainly possible. Things die in or near enough to surface water sources daily. The question becomes how much of a bio-viral-bacterial load does it take before it becomes a problem? The most common risk from a human cadaver is gastroenteritis. However, as a disaster continues, "new" concerns may be introduced into your water supply such as Cholera. The loads may also increase.

As the OP has said, and I paraphrase, filter and treat all water (unless from an uncontaminated deep well).

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Great thread with LOTS of useful info. :thumbsup:

waterboy.jpg

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    don't pee in it??? ahahaha

At least, once the pool gets funky, you could use it for flushing toilets, (if the sewage isn't already backing up).

Which is a good question - what happens to the sewage system once the power is off for a long duration?

I have several Lifestraw Family filters.....watching this video convinced me into buying them....along with 1/2 dozen regular Lifestraws.....for the cars, backpack, get home bags...etc....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycEnu9p1GPE

Clarification- I am not saying these things don't work; I'm saying they won't work for long. One simply cannot filter particulates smaller than 1/500 the diameter of a human hair and not clog with gravity as the pressure source.

Reverse Osmosis is a proven sub-micron filtration method. It uses >30psi pressure to filter to 1 micron and will then force water through a membrane it wouldn't naturally travel through.

My offer still stands for anyone to offer their portable potable water filter for bacterial testing.
    I will provide water with a coliform count of 1000mpn (Most Probable Number)and run it through your filter. We will collect the effluent/filtered water and I will take it to our laboratory for analysis. If your filter has a log 3 reduction, I would be surprised. In layman's terms- each log removes 90% (log 1=90%, log 2 =99%, log 3 =99.9%, log 4=99.99% etc) I cannot see a portable particulate, non chemical, filter reducing bacterial counts from 1000 to 1.
    Any takers?

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    My offer still stands for anyone to offer their portable potable water filter for bacterial testing.
    I will provide water with a coliform count of 1000mpn (Most Probable Number)and run it through your filter. We will collect the effluent/filtered water and I will take it to our laboratory for analysis. If your filter has a log 3 reduction, I would be surprised. In layman's terms- each log removes 90% (log 1=90%, log 2 =99%, log 3 =99.9%, log 4=99.99% etc) I cannot see a portable particulate, non chemical, filter reducing bacterial counts from 1000 to 1.
    Any takers?

While I am very interested in the results, I'm not willing to send in a $250 Katadyn Pocket. Nothing against you, I just really baby that thing.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I have a question.

I live in Colorado and I routinely camp above 10,000' in elevation. Up here water boils at a lower temperature. At 11,000' water boils around 190 degrees. Is that temperature high enough to safely kill any nasties in the water?

yes it is but there is a time and temperature factor involved. I think pasteurization is done at 190 but runs through long tubes to get to the time temp factor. Although I am quoting from the top of my head it is at least close to the truth.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Question here. Last week, I heard in the news in DC they found a body floating in cities drinking water resivor. The fix was to add more chlorine since they said the body was I think found in the sediment pond.

Just wondering?

I thought that water smelt a lil fishy.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Any takers?

You have a PM

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom