• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I'm not trying to argue with you Boondock and in the case you point out with 22.00 for a 9.00 box of ammo I would completely agree, that's just robbery. On the other hand 20.00 or a 15% premium would be acceptable imo. I'm just saying that if you can afford to buy sigs then you can afford a 15% premium to buy from local shops vs kitchen table or dealers from out of state who could give a crap whether we have any rights at all as long as they can make a dollar they are happy.

Fair enough. I'll let you know when I can afford a Sig, though. :lol2:

And congrats on 4K posts. :thumbsup:

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    As much as it pains many of us, it is absolutely true that Walmart is the only entity keeping a cap on ammo prices right now.

Bass Pro and Dicks seem to run aobut 20% than Walmart.

Do you think many local gun shops would be happy if Walmart stopped selling ammo? I bet most would be very pleased. I also think prices would get even higher at those local shops.

In a gunshop recently where we found a good deal on a gun we wanted, we also found .380 for $30 per 50. This is plinking ammo we're talking about.

If you want to pay exorbitant prices for ammo, get Walmart out of the ammo market.

If local shops only charged 10 or 20 percent more than Walmart, I would only buy ammo from them. But as long as they are charging twice what the ammo is worth, they can pound sand on that count.

Splitter

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    As much as it pains many of us, it is absolutely true that Walmart is the only entity keeping a cap on ammo prices right now.

Bass Pro and Dicks seem to run aobut 20% than Walmart.

Do you think many local gun shops would be happy if Walmart stopped selling ammo? I bet most would be very pleased. I also think prices would get even higher at those local shops.

In a gunshop recently where we found a good deal on a gun we wanted, we also found .380 for $30 per 50. This is plinking ammo we're talking about.

If you want to pay exorbitant prices for ammo, get Walmart out of the ammo market.

If local shops only charged 10 or 20 percent more than Walmart, I would only buy ammo from them. But as long as they are charging twice what the ammo is worth, they can pound sand on that count.

Splitter

I disagree because the local dealers and big box stores (other than Wal-Mart) still have to battle with online sales. I think online prices keep prices down more than China-Mart does.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I understand what you are syaing Coiboy, but you have to order quantity online to compensate for the shipping. And I rarely find online prices in 9mm or .45 that are as low as Walmart.

Plus, lately online prices have soared at a lot of sites.

My point is: cheap ammo is a good thing. I don't care much who has it, even if I have to support Walmart.

What we need is MORE retailers selling ammo, like the old days.

Splitter

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    The number of FFL's and ammo suppliers has been decreasing for years. Inversely to the number of gun laws.

If you want to really help your local FFL, get the laws reversed. If we don't all our supliers will be gone. If you think simply buying, for what ever reason, from your local B&M, internet or Wallyworld will save them... you are very mistaken.

-Boxcab

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Just a Thought.....why don't you just tranfer the lower. Sell/buy the upper seperate and when you go to the barrack just transfer the lower, thats the only thing thats regulated.

c473

Aug 28, 2008
    Transfer paperwork complete. Not with out a lot of attitude though.

Hey, weren't you in here last week?

Yes I was.

You were told to call the licensing unit. Did you do it.

Uhh yah. They said you can do the paper work, it's handled no differently than a hand gun.

Thought briefly about making an issue out of it, but decided to just get the paperwork done and talk to their leadership this week. I realized that nothing I said at that time, would change their attitudes. If I ever do another regulated transfer it will be through a dealer.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I'm not trying to argue with you Boondock and in the case you point out with 22.00 for a 9.00 box of ammo I would completely agree, that's just robbery. On the other hand 20.00 or a 15% premium would be acceptable imo. I'm just saying that if you can afford to buy sigs then you can afford a 15% premium to buy from local shops vs kitchen table or dealers from out of state who could give a crap whether we have any rights at all as long as they can make a dollar they are happy.

That was directed at MauiWowie, for the record.

Just because some can afford something does not mean they should do it.
    The reason I can afford Sigs is because I refuse to pay a 15% premium on anything not just AMMO....
    Honestly I don't care who sells it if it's cheaper than the competition then they are getting my money. Everyone on here preaches that they would spend more money at a local shop to support them. Honestly I think that's Hog wash! I would purchase from local shops if the price was reasonable compared other prices or because the customer service I would receive would benefit the purchase. Maybe a few bucks more here and there and I agree to an extent but paying $3 more on a $20 box of ammo plus $1.20 sales tax when you buy 2-3 cases per year is just not good economics to me. That's a difference of $252 per year if you only buy 3 cases in a year. This year alone I've already purchased 3 cases. I work hard every day so others don't have to and can benefit from my tax dollars. I don't plan on letting go of the money the good state of Maryland lets me keep if I don't have to.

I'm so sorry to see our local shops suffering from the current financial crisis and from the internet giants but such is life. I have had many failures in my life and many success stories and every time the only lesson I've learned is that no one really cares what happens to me and my family except me and my family and a few VERY close friends...

3rdRcn I value your input here on the forum but I do not agree

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    Here's my question. I hear allot about what we should be doing for the LGS's in this state, what do they do for us? Great,we can buy arms at them for inflated prices. But I have yet to hear something to the effect of they have a representitive that goes to every hearing at the capital in regards to gun rights etc, or they are large contribitors to MSI or GAO, etc. All this talk is what we can do for them, what can they do for us besides sell arms and ammo?

There may be some that do, I don't and is why I ask. I mean if they are "active" supporters of our rights and issues please let them stand up and put themselves in the spot light. And by active I don't just mean selling us what it is we want and could get anywhere, but helping the fight.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I support my local FFl shops all the time. I also buy ammo from other sources.
    We also need to work on getting the laws in the state reversed as someone said.
    You can do it all and not be a slug. If I like Sig I would buy them but I don't like them. I would still buy ammo where I can when I want to. Walmart will probably change their policies and stop selling al together soon anyway so. Then what?
    I have found if I frequent my FFL and providie them with a qual;ity customer the pricing also turns a little down from sticker price.

Bllahblahblahblah

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Here's my question. I hear allot about what we should be doing for the LGS's in this state, what do they do for us? Great,we can buy arms at them for inflated prices. But I have yet to hear something to the effect of they have a representitive that goes to every hearing at the capital in regards to gun rights etc, or they are large contribitors to MSI or GAO, etc. All this talk is what we can do for them, what can they do for us besides sell arms and ammo?

There may be some that do, I don't and is why I ask. I mean if they are "active" supporters of our rights and issues please let them stand up and put themselves in the spot light. And by active I don't just mean selling us what it is we want and could get anywhere, but helping the fight.

You should check into what the Maryland Gun Dealers association does behind the scenes, as I understand it they are pretty active with the roster board and state police in trying to keep the BS to a minimum. There are many dealers that are just in it for the money while there are a few who actively support certain groups in Maryland.

What this actually all boils down to is if we don't support them and they can't make a living then they will close up shop, there are a few that this would be a good thing but if the good ones close down then we are back to getting raped by every one of the bad ones. If they all close up shop then what? Who are you going to have to do your transfers through?

I do business with only about 2 shops here in Maryland and both are pretty good folks. Once they get to know you and you do a bit of business with them you would be surprised at what they do for good customers. I have primers, I have powder, I have bullets, I have plenty of factory ammo as well, whenever I need something it gets handled and I get a phone call saying it's in and waiting for me to pick it up, do the on line dealers do this for you?

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I have primers, I have powder, I have bullets, I have plenty of factory ammo as well, whenever I need something it gets handled and I get a phone call saying it's in and waiting for me to pick it up, do the on line dealers do this for you?[/QUOTE]

My point exactly. but put much better then BLAh bLah

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    3rd, thanks for the info I'll look into it.
    I'm all for helping those that help us. So what can we do to find out who's most active/helpfull and give them the business they deserve?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Year before last one of, or the, owner of MD Small Arms testified against an anti gun bill in front of the House Judiciary. He may have testified on other bills too, but I wouldn't know because I have only been to a fraction of the gun bills.

I also know a lot of shops participated in getting out fliers about certain MD bills by having them on the counter in their shops. I seem to recall seeing some in Continental for instance.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    3rd, thanks for the info I'll look into it.
    I'm all for helping those that help us. So what can we do to find out who's most active/helpfull and give them the business they deserve?

Pay attention to who is active on this board, those folks help a ton in supporting this group. If they are active here then they are most likely active in supporting us as shooters. The folks who are too busy to get on this forum and participate in helping us are usually the ones that are too busy to care about anything but their pockets. While there are some like Continental or White Marsh that you don't see here, I know for a fact they are supporting us and they do have a few employee's here that are very active.

Keep this in mind, while a dealer may not be active here, they may very well be active in supporting shooting events. When you go to an event, pay attention to who the sponsors are and who donated prizes, these are the good guys for the most part and these are the guys we need to do business with. I'm going to step off my soapbox now.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    There's only one shop that's ever refused to hand out our literature. Doesn't matter who because they aren't even on the radar for 99.9% of us here.

I've never been turned down for a donation from shops either for our shoots.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Ok ammo .... Your local Gunshops sometimes have to charge more for thier ammo because they cannot get the prices that Dicks orwal mart or bass pro can get ..

As for support .. the MLFDA is one reason why you are able ot have soem of the firearms we have in this state .. they petitioned for the external/internal locks for firearms as well as sending guns to the Handgun roster board . I have snt a few guns up to the board from my shop .

They generally have a meeting once a month or so and I beleive they have hired someone to help them with the ongoing legislation thats been going on down in Annapolis .

Just recently we had one of our members get contacted by the NRA for donations an he asked them what does the NRA do for the state of maryland .. the gentlemen on the phone could not give him an answer but just to refer to things going on out on the west coast which i find interesting .

as for the state police .. When we are running low on state forms i was aksed ot go to waterloo to get some . They are suppose to service our needs as well .. when i got there i asked an was given one form of each .. when I said it was for a store i go the the run around an told I have ot get them from pikesville which is BS .. These barracks are there to support our needs being the stores as well as the everyday gun owner ... so not sure whats going on .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom