• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Despite living 8 minutes from and requesting the Frederick MSP Barracks, I had to interview with a Retired Trooper/Investigator more than an hour away, in Westminster.

My application included what the MSP might consider "G&S" under their permitting scheme.

I can’t help but wonder if those answering (9A) with "Self defense & all lawful purposes" are getting show interviews with Troopers in Frederick. Perhaps that frees the "investigators" up for what the MSP consider "legitimate" applications?

Well as you know I had the same investigator but I listed for "Self defense & all lawful purposes" I really think its more of who gets what stack more then anything.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Despite living 8 minutes from and requesting the Frederick MSP Barracks, I had to interview with a Retired Trooper/Investigator more than an hour away, in Westminster.

My application included what the MSP might consider "G&S" under their permitting scheme.

I can’t help but wonder if those answering (9A) with "Self defense & all lawful purposes" are getting show interviews with Troopers in Frederick. Perhaps that frees the "investigators" up for what the MSP consider "legitimate" applications?

I don't know, but good point. He did say he had several who lied on application, he denied them for sure and he said several who had NO Training whatsoever.. His words...

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    I had my in station interview today in Westminster. It went like I expected it to and like most posts here. The Trooper was very polite and asked the normal questions. He asked my training background and since I am military, it was quite extensive. He asked if I owned any guns to which I responded yes, then he asked if I had a gun safe. His reasoning behind this was that there have been several stolen weapons during break ins lately. He said my application was clean and he was recommending a yes on the permit, but that the decision was not his to make. He did tell me, in his opinion only, that I should hear something within the next 30 days. We shall see!!!

eyesinpines

Mar 4, 2011
    I had my in station interview today in Westminster. It went like I expected it to and like most posts here. The Trooper was very polite and asked the normal questions. He asked my training background and since I am military, it was quite extensive. He asked if I owned any guns to which I responded yes, then he asked if I had a gun safe. His reasoning behind this was that there have been several stolen weapons during break ins lately. He said my application was clean and he was recommending a yes on the permit, but that the decision was not his to make. He did tell me, in his opinion only, that I should hear something within the next 30 days. We shall see!!!
    He's recommending a YES? Did you have G & S?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl

I am really happy they are processing in the Westminster barracks, but I am so pissed off that I have not been called yet. All I want is some contact so i know someone is working on it. :mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I am really happy they are processing in the Westminster barracks, but I am so pissed off that I have not been called yet. All I want is some contact so i know someone is working on it. :mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

I have not heard a peep yet either, but from reading on here, that may be a good thing, the longer MSP sits on it and the more and more the courts work on it, the better the chances we have of "winning" in the end!

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD

He told me that the backlog was unreal. Right after the Judge Legg ruling came, the flood of applications came. I filed mine around the 10th of March, they called all of my references last week and interviewed me this week. Good luck!

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD

I was asked about the gun safe also. I told them I did not have a gun safe because my weapon was used for home protection. Who in their right mind is going to keep a gun locked in a gun safe when it's being used for protection?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I was asked about the gun safe also. I told them I did not have a gun safe because my weapon was used for home protection. Who in their right mind is going to keep a gun locked in a gun safe when it's being used for protection?
    I would invest in a small sentry type lockbox with a 4 digit digital code for quick access. Costs 40 bucks or so.

I use something similar for my bedside gun. Access in 5 seconds.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Alert-3035DF-Digital-Locking-Steel-Box/13350599?findingMethod=rr

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

I have a gun safe and a lock bag. Doesn't mean I keep my pistol in it!!:thumbsup:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

So you never leave your gun at home? You never go on vacation and not take it with you?

The idea behind a safe isnt it can stay there when you are home...it's when your not home.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well since you live in Md , it is obviously left behind whenever you leave the house except when going out of state , or to range, hunting , etc.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD law does not require a safe, only that access to a firearm for children under 16 be prevented. IIRC it doesn't stipulate how this is to be accomplished. I have a Gunvault I used while my grand daughter lived with me. Now that she no longer does, I don't use it.

But it's a god idea to slow down or prevent a theft.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Ok, the world must be coming to an end soon.
    at least 2 of the 3 references were contacted today, my wife was called and I was interviewed over the phone. I asked about a FTF and was toldthat it would not be needed. Trooper was from McHenry barricks, very friendly and mostly basic questions. He did state that he couldn't figure out why he was just assigned this interview this morning as my application was dated 3/13/2012 told me good luck with the process and hoped I got it but went on to say you know this is Maryland and kinda chuckled.

Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    I have had some recent developments in my permit app. My application has been kicked back to the trooper doing my investigation twice now over the same issue.

I had a crazy ex GF that got a protective order against me 10 years ago. I was up front and honest during the initial interview, providing case numbers and everything. The first time they kicked it back, they wanted more documentation which I provided and they also wanted to know If I knew how to get in touch with her. I told them I didnt but I knew she was a convicted felon so I suggested they look her up in NCIC database. The second time my application was kicked back, they wanted to recount everything about the incident surrounding the exparte order and talk to my mother. They are digging pretty deep, since the trooper told my mother he was aware that 6 years ago this ex GF of mine tried to use my moms identity to get a loan (I never told him this because it didnt concern me, just my mother)

I dont know if this is a good or bad thing. If we get the stay lifted I fully expect a permit. I filed with a G&S reason along with "ALL Lawful Purposes". But what I dont understand is why are they digging so deep with my application? Has anyone else had them dig this deep? The trooper has called me probably 4 times in the last 2 weeks. Im just wondering if they are trying to cover all the bases or they are just having that much trouble finding a reason to deny my permit if we get the stay lifted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom