• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And, no, manufacturers could not have seen the pandemic and a summer of violent lefty riots coinciding with a huge media, corporate manipulation, and skullduggerous war to successfully get an anti-gun meat puppet into the White House.

And even if they did, it is not like you can call and order equipment to make ammo from the catalog.

Those machines are made to order, with very long lead times.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS so we won't all suffer permanent 50%-100% price increases across the board forever!

Who says we will see permanent increases??

That did not happen after the last 3 shortages. You seem to be new, so many you don't know that this has happened before. SEVERAL times.

And BTW, ammo prices just before the panic were actually lower, in real dollars, than they were in the 70s.

I have 100 round boxes of CCI MiniMags purchased in the 70s. $1.99 per box.

In today's dollars, that is equal to $8.50 per 100 rounds. Higher than Dec 2019.

So history says you are wrong. And ammunition prices will come back down, and will probably, at least for a while, dip below the pre-panic prices.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    5 million new gun owners in 2020. Lets say they each just buy a hundred rounds.

Demand on ammunition is 5,000,000 x 100 that means demand went up by 500,000,000.

Are there really 5 million new gun owners or 5 million background checks were performed. I honestly would be tickled evil black gun (oh shit I'm racist) color if the former. 5 million more Pro 2A sure would not hurt.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I've said the same thing.

We all know the symbol on the boxes.
    ormd_ammunition_diamond.jpg

How many drivers are keeping tabs of homes with these types of deliveries? Quantities, GPS coordinates and even the ability of knocking on the door to see if anyone is home.

Just Sayin'.

Last delivery I got, I met the UPS guy in the drive way and he said, "I see you got lucky and found some ammo". LOL. We have no secrets.

Gilo

Jan 20, 2019
    You can't just ask for people to stop buying. Its all about supply and demand, very simple economics. The only way to bring down pricing and increase availability is if Ammo manufacturers flood the market. otherwise it will be a long and slow process of slowly returning to normalcy.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Last delivery I got, I met the UPS guy in the drive way and he said, "I see you got lucky and found some ammo". LOL. We have no secrets.

It's a dead giveaway when you get a small box marked with the ORM symbol and it weighs 35 lbs. :D

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    5 million new gun owners in 2020. Lets say they each just buy a hundred rounds.

Demand on ammunition is 5,000,000 x 100 that means demand went up by 500,000,000.
    I heard a source on this saying that the statistic on this is 7 million new gun owners in 2020 alone. They further went on to do the same math - each new shooter getting just 2 boxes of ammo, totaling 700,000,000 rounds of ammo.

That's just for the new shooters. That doesn't even begin to touch on what everyone else is buying, and that doesn't touch on new gun owners over the last 4 years - just the new gun owners in 2020.

The only ammo I've personally purchased in this last calendar year is a couple of boxes of Winchester 30-30, and that's because I have a rifle that shoots it, but didn't have any ammo - I'd been meaning to get some, and picked some up one day when I was out lookin for reloading components.

When it comes to components, I haven't purchased any in over a year - I am into my last 1000 pistol primers, both large and small. Typically I wait until I'm into a brick of 1000, then I buy another brick - usually it's pretty simple, but with the number of new shooters out there buying a couple of boxes of ammo each, (and that, IMO, is a low estimate - how many people who get into shooting stop at 100 rounds?) finding primers is getting difficult because of the surge in demand for ammo. I'm also low on a couple of powders, but I'll get by - that seems to be easier to get than primers.

I don't think that the reason we have a shortage is because people are hoarding - some are, but most aren't. I think there is a legitimate surge in demand due to new shooters. Even libs and lefties are getting into it - when rioting, looting and destruction comes to your doorstep, even the liberals find it within to want to protect themselves and their property.

Those are my thoughts on it anyway - now back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    I think a lot of folks stocked up when supply rose and prices dropped over the last few years. It'd be interesting if everyone sitting on a stash offered up 500 rounds at a reasonable increase, say 8-10 cents for 22LR or .50 for 9mm ball, and see if the prices drop. With 1000 sellers that's 500k rounds back in circulation, just not sure there are 1000 shooters in MD that could pull it off. I know i have 500 rounds that i picked up in mixed lots and don't have guns for, just sitting in around, 22WMR, 44-40 and others that are gathering dust. Anyone else have strays?

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    In theory... everyone not buying for a period of time acts as a reduction in demand that would allow the supply to come back and stabilize prices. How long? That’s a good question. Even 30 days probably isn’t really enough.

In reality... everyone worried about ME, ME, ME... wouldn’t be able to keep their fingers out of the cookie jar and would screw up the plan. There are far too many nearsighted people worried about missing out on another 50 rounds of precious 9mm for this to work.

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    In reality... everyone worried about ME, ME, ME... wouldn’t be able to keep their fingers out of the cookie jar and would screw up the plan. There are far too many nearsighted people worried about missing out on another 50 rounds of precious 9mm for this to work.

That is the reality, I know folks that shoot 8-10 boxes of 9mm a year that are freaking out, despite having 12 boxes on hand.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I've said the same thing.

We all know the symbol on the boxes.
    ormd_ammunition_diamond.jpg

How many drivers are keeping tabs of homes with these types of deliveries? Quantities, GPS coordinates and even the ability of knocking on the door to see if anyone is home.

Just Sayin'.
    That symbol doesn't only apply to ammo...my wife ordered a single bottle of nail polish for my daughter, the shipment box was covered with the diamond on all 6 sides...

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Ok people, can we have a quick refresher on capitalism...you know, SUPPLY and DEMAND?! Can we please realize that WE are our own worst enemies in this situation... There is absolutely NO reason there should be no ammo available anywhere. There is absolutely NO reason people should be paying 2, 3, 5, 10 times the normal market rate for anything. Get a friggin' grip and stop it. Yes, I know there are some folks that go through a lot of ammo playing 3 gun and clay sports..... Guess what, there are no more of those people now than there were a year ago. This is being driven by those who are scared their 500 or 1000 (or many times more) rounds aren't enough and keep buying buying buying. The noobs aren't driving this...they don't care enough to keep up with it after they've gotten a few boxes to collect dust in their drawer. Keep complaining about availability and pricing, then look in the mirror. Stop buying guns and ammo for 6 months and see what magically happens.... PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS so we won't all suffer permanent 50%-100% price increases across the board forever!. The single easiest thing we all can do to help ourselves....tell a friend. PSA rant over. :mad54:

th

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    What is this ammo shortage everyone speaks of?
    Anyone who has been shooting for the past ten years or so shouldn't be surprised at the current state of affairs. Three of the last four years were salad days and should have been taken advantage of.
    I'm not trying to be an ass and I understand "the poors" but for the past 20+ years it has been a cycle every few years starting with primer shortages in the early 90's.

I don't see an end to this one with xiden and horizontal harris being the most openly anti-gunners ever as president.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom