• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Ok, let me try a different angle. Look, I'm an all in 2A guy, I want our base to grow stronger, not weaker.... Accessibility is key to having a broad base, and accessibility is directly proportional to price. Rich man's game vs everyman's game. You have a lot more people that will participate in hunting/shooting when it doesn't cost an arm and a leg...no different than anything else. Do you blow through your $5/rd shotgun slugs like you blow through your 525 round box of 22LR you got at Walmart? I don't think so, and it's not just because of recoil, hahaha. Besides explicitly taking away our rights, the antis biggest weapon is cost. Why do you think the first move is additional taxes, additional licenses, etc....under the guise of "safety" it generates revenue that's ultimately used against us, and it continually raises the cost of entry/participation. Why was the $200 tax stamp put in place in the first place? Because most couldn't afford it. That alone slowly but surely shrinks the base. I'm just humbly suggesting that we not play along. It's one of the simplest ways to keep us going at no real cost to anyone (besides the resellers)

Prior planning prevents piss poor performance and outcomes.

For those of us who lived through the ammo drought of 2013 we learned that when the prices stabilized and dropped it was time to stock up on the ammo we needed. Purchasing 1000 rounds a month or every couple of months was something that would have long term benefits to me. The one exception is only buying 500 rounds of 45ACP at at time, those boxes are heavy.

Hoarding and panic purchasing are responses to perceived problems and it is difficult for many to react appropriately. The dearth of toilet paper, paper towels, napkins and paper based products at the grocery store caused me purchase a pack of napkins, paper towels and toilet paper during each weekly trip to the grocery store last summer and this fall. The last thing I wanted to do was to have to wipe my ass with my hand and I was willing to pay a little extra for that.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    It's a dead giveaway when you get a small box marked with the ORM symbol and it weighs 35 lbs. :D

You mean this thing?

OD25.png

I also don't like cases shipped with all pertinent information on the box. Not that I'd ever done that.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    The entity that should be stacking up ammo for a rainy day is YOU. If you expected the ammo manufacturers to foresee literally millions of brand new shooters with zero ammo in their never-had-a-gun-before households rushing to clean out stores, you're completely missing the point of how this works. If they'd stocked up a couple years worth of inventory in anticipation of that unknowable event, they'd have giant finances hung up in it, and would have had to raise prices to service that opportunity cost and/or debt. And then you'd be complaining about THAT.

I did see it coming and am well stocked and if I could see it coming why did MFGs or others not see it coming? History continuously repeats itself and everyone stands around with dumb looks on their face as if this was the first time.

History repeating and run on ammo/guns:
    Obama Elected
    Riots in the 60, 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s by right wing groups
    Gun control in Democratic run States and Cities from the past and present
    The constant erosion of our rights
    The lies by our government Officials
    Every time a Democrat gets elected president
    New so called commonsense gun laws passed
    The sewing of gun manufacturers

I can go on and on so I rebuff that no one could see this coming

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I did see it coming and am well stocked and if I could see it coming why did MFGs or others not see it coming? History continuously repeats itself and everyone stands around with dumb looks on their face as if this was the first time.

History repeating and run on ammo/guns:
    Obama Elected
    Riots in the 60, 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s by right wing groups
    Gun control in Democratic run States and Cities from the past and present
    The constant erosion of our rights
    The lies by our government Officials
    Every time a Democrat gets elected president
    New so called commonsense gun laws passed
    The sewing of gun manufacturers

I can go on and on so I rebuff that no one could see this coming

This started a year ago. You’re telling me you foresaw COVID, the riots, millions of new first time gun owners, and Biden as President? And how that was going to effect ammo prices? And you knew all of that was coming over a year ago?
    Don’t think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I haven't bought any ammo in nearly one year (found a receipt the other day with two cases of 9mm on it......from March 11.....treated myself for my birthday. Shipped price was $179 each). A month or two before that I bought a bunch of cases from AmmoJon. I'm all set. No need to buy at inflated prices. Buy cheap/stack deep. We've all heard it, but few seem to practice it.

Fact is, I see people on this and similar sites EVERY DAY showing off their latest gun purchases. Perhaps these people should have been buying cases of ammo instead of their 30th gun (?). Now they have a nice paperweight that they can ogle all day but can't shoot.

I know I shoot a lot due to competition, personal range trips, and classes, so I know I need lots of ammo, and plan accordingly. Haven't bought a gun in 3 years. Not like I haven't been tempted, but I prioritized ammo and training over more guns. Other people prefer to collect guns or other gear. Whatever. Supply and demand. I'LL be fine.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    This started a year ago. You’re telling me you foresaw COVID, the riots, millions of new first time gun owners, and Biden as President? And how that was going to effect ammo prices? And you knew all of that was coming over a year ago?
    Don’t think so.

Then you should have been buying a year and a half ago, then continued buying small amounts regularly since. Dollar Cost Averaging. If you didn't, sorry but you chose poorly.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Don’t think so.

COVID yes, when it was rumored in in DEC 2019 I knew shit would hit the fan because of where I worked and had some inside info. The riots have been on going and increasing so it was time to get what was needed. Every time a Presidential election occurs and the Dems tout gun control things go hay wire and you better be first to get some or what you need. Did not say anything about predicting Biden as president where did that come from?

So by early Jan 2020 I had everything I need to weather the storm. The trouble is people have forgotten some of their primal instincts and do not listen to their gut feelings. My gut feelings have kept me alive and ahead of potential issues.

Let me ask you something, if a national disaster hit today would you be prepared for the long term? Look at what has happened in TX millions out of power, no food, no access to money, power grid down and just a total shit storm.

Semper Paratus
    .- .-.. .-- .- -.-- ... / .-. . .- -.. -.--

May 13, 2005
    You know.... If everyone holds their breath at once, it will reduce the global amount of yawns to zero. Once no one is yawning anywhere on the planet, yawning will cease to exist since everyone knows yawning is a continual contagious thing that never stops due to it's transmission from one person sucking in too much oxygen and stealing it from others, which in turn makes them yawn. We need to re-baseline the total oxygen supply at a global scale.

The only reason I bring this up is that it seems to be analogous to the OP's logical solution to repairing the current ammo dilemma. And would probably work similarly as well.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    COVID yes, when it was rumored in in DEC 2019 I knew shit would hit the fan because of where I worked and had some inside info. The riots have been on going and increasing so it was time to get what was needed. Every time a Presidential election occurs and the Dems tout gun control things go hay wire and you better be first to get some or what you need. Did not say anything about predicting Biden as president where did that come from?

So by early Jan 2020 I had everything I need to weather the storm. The trouble is people have forgotten some of their primal instincts and do not listen to their gut feelings. My gut feelings have kept me alive and ahead of potential issues.

Let me ask you something, if a national disaster hit today would you be prepared for the long term? Look at what has happened in TX millions out of power, no food, no access to money, power grid down and just a total shit storm.

Semper Paratus
    .- .-.. .-- .- -.-- ... / .-. . .- -.. -.--

PLENTY of food, week worth of gas for generator, maybe and 3 or 4 weeks propane for heat. That's about the best I can do. What happens happens.

Jul 1, 2012
    You mean this thing?

OD25.png

I also don't like cases shipped with all pertinent information on the box. Not that I'd ever done that.

Not anymore, that label has been phased out and only the diamond should/can be used as of 01 Jan 2021.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    PLENTY of food, week worth of gas for generator, maybe and 3 or 4 weeks propane for heat. That's about the best I can do. What happens happens.

Same here. Did my periodic Genny test. Checked the snowblower and staged the ice melt. Just topped off the gas supply in anticipation of tomorrow's storm. Which will be a nothing-burger, since I've prepared for it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Then you should have been buying a year and a half ago, then continued buying small amounts regularly since. Dollar Cost Averaging. If you didn't, sorry but you chose poorly.

I didn’t choose poorly, I’m fine with ammo. I was pointing out to the person I quoted that he’s incorrect in saying ammo manufacturers should’ve seen all of this coming before any of it even started. It’s nonsense.

The noobs aren't driving this...they don't care enough to keep up with it after they've gotten a few boxes to collect dust in their drawer

It's not that I don't care, I just can't afford it.
    Trying to be responsible with my budget and all that.
    The couple of times I was able to go to the range, I enjoyed the hell out of it.
    I can't wait to go back. But not until work picks up (it's very seasonal) or prices drop a good bit.
    What's the use in fussing about it? Even this whole forum's worth of folks not buying won't make a ripple in that very big supply chain. We flatter ourselves.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

Same here only I have a wood stove which heats the entire up stairs of the house, and a pellet stove in the basement. Lots of canned goods, several freezers, a 14KW generator with plenty of gas, and lots of water storage. Pretty well stocked up on everything else for the long haul.

We had a bad Ice storm in SOMD in 1994 no power, for over a week and lots of damage. I was the only one in the entire neighborhood with power, heat and water. I had all the neighbors over until things got back to normal. One neighbor asked what to do with their meat in the freezer. I kind of smiled and said put it on your back porch as it is below freezing. Everyone just looked in amazement like I just invented air.

I have lived through tornadoes, hurricanes, earth quakes and floods. Not by choice as I was stationed in the prone areas to disasters. What I have learned you can never be too ready. I have purposely never lived in any cities as you are totally screwed when it comes to a disaster. Life, preparedness, happiness and most of all survival is about choices you make. Poor choices that people make are their own issue either by ignorance or stupidity.

If you live in a flood prone area that is your choice. If you live where you get hit by tornados that is your choice. If you live where wild fires are prone that is your choice. If you live where earth quakes and mud slides happen that is your choice. So if we decide to stick our heads in the sand and not make good choices oh well shit happens. Deal with it and stop blaming others for your misfortune and stupidity. Just my 2 cents not pointing fingers just general statements.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    5 million new gun owners in 2020. Lets say they each just buy a hundred rounds.

Demand on ammunition is 5,000,000 x 100 that means demand went up by 500,000,000.

^^^this^^^

In addition, more new shooters = more shooting lessons. My instruction business grew by 120% in 2020. Instructing eats a lot of ammo.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    ^^^this^^^

In addition, more new shooters = more shooting lessons. My instruction business grew by 120% in 2020. Instructing eats a lot of ammo.
    I find this fascinating. Your business more than doubled.

I can see new demand because of increased saltiness in social circumstances. Makes sense. Leading indicator?

OTOH, with decreased Ammo supply and dramatically increased Ammo pricing, I’d think the lagging indicator for your training demand would suggest you’re headed for reduction of it hasn’t hit already.

Ymmv

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I find this fascinating. Your business more than doubled.

I can see new demand because of increased saltiness in social circumstances. Makes sense. Leading indicator?

OTOH, with decreased Ammo supply and dramatically increased Ammo pricing, I’d think the lagging indicator for your training demand would suggest you’re headed for reduction of it hasn’t hit already.

Ymmv

I never said it was a leading indicator. It is an outgrowth of the massive increase of gun sales. My business is in Maryland and in Maryland, you have to get trained and licensed to buy a handgun. I am booked solid for months in advance. It's been this way since last August. Eventually, I'm sure it will decline, but right now, as long as handgun sales are booming, so to will be my business.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Question mark means I’m asking, not telling.

Probably not so much ammo cost/availability impact for HQL training. I dint know that’s what you did.

The courses that require 600-800 rounds per are smarting right now. ~$400/weekend trainer/site cost plus 600-800 rounds on same weekend and VOILA, most folks cannot absorb ~$1000 a pop for a couple days training.

That’s all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom