• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Thanks for the offer but you're 1-1/2 hrs from me. Im in VA too but down in King George. I just found a guy who 3d prints magwell adapters to fit Colt mags for the Stribog. That might be the deal sealer considering i already have about 20 mags already for my ar9. On the other hand, the ap5-p is pretty damn sweet.
    No worries. I just hate relying on the internet and figured I’d offer since the reviews are all over the map. If you’re talking about KD Gunwerkz he’s good to go. I wanted his three stage shorter stroke buffer, but he just bumped the price to $125 with no refunds. I’m happy with the $28 delrin HBI buffer for now, and I am not sure his buffer will play well with the 40 degree locking block.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    I did see the adapter from kd but it says for locals only and i don't see anywhere on their site that says where they are. Bam3dparts is the one i was talking about, Although the kd definitely looks like the better choice.

No worries. I just hate relying on the internet and figured I’d offer since the reviews are all over the map. If you’re talking about KD Gunwerkz he’s good to go. I wanted his three stage shorter stroke buffer, but he just bumped the price to $125 with no refunds. I’m happy with the $28 delrin HBI buffer for now, and I am not sure his buffer will play well with the 40 degree locking block.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    You know, I didn't ask. Assumptions and all that... we'll see. My FFL does the mag disabling thing.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Mags were shipped with gun. Being pinned by FFL.
    Ugh. I forgot about this nonsense when I moved out of MD.

Good on Double M Defense for shipping them and good on your FFL for handling it correctly.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Just an FYI: a small but vocal group of SP9A3 owners are claiming the previous recall did not fix receiver gouging issues. Current user speculation is that the SP9A3 has undiagnosed carrier tilt and the back end needs to be ramped and dehorned, at a minimum. Seems to show up around 1000 rounds, if it shows up. I should make it to 500 rounds next week, and I’ll inspect my example to see if there are any signs of this issue. My completely unverified suspicion is that the firearm might need to be further modified to account for the U.S. marked 45 degree locking block, as it is letting the bcg unlock too early and the carrier is slamming into the receiver with too much force. I would bet Grand Power has only really tested this system thoroughly with NATO spec 124gr ball ammo, and anything that deviates too far outside that narrow testing regimen could cause issues. They tried the 45 degree block as a quick fix due to the various ammo types being used in the states, and may not have tested it as throughly as they should have.

Anyway I figured it is only fair to post the bad with the good.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    Thanks for sharing. I'm still on the fence about picking one up. Heading to the gun show tomorrow and hopefully i can handle all the ones on my list.

Just an FYI: a small but vocal group of SP9A3 owners are claiming the previous recall did not fix receiver gouging issues. Current user speculation is that the SP9A3 has undiagnosed carrier tilt and the back end needs to be ramped and dehorned, at a minimum. Seems to show up around 1000 rounds, if it shows up. I should make it to 500 rounds next week, and I’ll inspect my example to see if there are any signs of this issue. My completely unverified suspicion is that the firearm might need to be further modified to account for the U.S. marked 45 degree locking block, as it is letting the bcg unlock too early and the carrier is slamming into the receiver with too much force. I would bet Grand Power has only really tested this system thoroughly with NATO spec 124gr ball ammo, and anything that deviates too far outside that narrow testing regimen could cause issues. They tried the 45 degree block as a quick fix due to the various ammo types being used in the states, and may not have tested it as throughly as they should have.

Anyway I figured it is only fair to post the bad with the good.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Mags were shipped with gun. Being pinned by FFL.

Do you mind saying who your dealer is?

I reached out to a few dealers. I'm about to pull the trigger on one. Really wanted an SP5, but can't justify 3k+ for one. The Century ap5 is also nice, but for half the price I could get a String and see how I like a compact PCC. Or buy the string and a 9mm can:)

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Tyler's is doing the transfer. I ordered from the link in the OP. Tyler's has an online transfer request form. I'd place the order with MM, and then fill out the transfer form with Tyler's. That way, when Tyler's emails their FFL to MM, they can put your order number in the subject line as required by MM.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Thanks. I’ve heard Tyler’s is a cool shop. After checking out some local shops it seems transfer fees are all over the place. Most want between $50-100. Found one shop for $25 for MDS members. Waiting to here back if they can do the Stribog.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Update: I chatted with the owner/operator of KDG briefly and he says installing a shorter stroke buffer like the HBI one or his much nicer dual spring/aluminum design should prevent rail gouging and receiver damage from the action cycling too violently. He apparently has 20k rounds through one Stribog SP9A3 without any issues. So with that anecdotal information and the added benefit preventing spent casings from falling back into the FCG, I would probably consider installing a shorter stroke buffer mandatory preventive maintenance. Good thing they are only about 30 bucks from HBI.

Waiting for him to get back to me on some other questions I have.

Edit: again, not defending Grand Power or Global Ordnance. These issues should have been corrected before the SP9A3 ended up in the hands of users. Just want to highlight what appears to be a simple and inexpensive preventative fix for problems users could encounter if they buy these pistols.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Tyler's is doing the transfer. I ordered from the link in the OP. Tyler's has an online transfer request form. I'd place the order with MM, and then fill out the transfer form with Tyler's. That way, when Tyler's emails their FFL to MM, they can put your order number in the subject line as required by MM.

Keep me posted when yours comes in. I'm still trying to sort out who to ship it to. I might just go with Tylers since I've heard good things and they know how to deal with the mag situation.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The SP9A3 Glock mag version is in the wild now. I’m going to assume it will have to be approved for sale in Maryland, but thought I would let folks know in case they want to get the process started.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Keep me posted when yours comes in. I'm still trying to sort out who to ship it to. I might just go with Tylers since I've heard good things and they know how to deal with the mag situation.
    It already came in. Just waiting to be "not disapproved".

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Price just went up to $900 in the last hour. That sucks. Went to my local dealer tonight to work out a transfer. Might have to think twice now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom